1 1
bigbearfng

total knee replacement

As I'm sitting around on the wait list for surgery going crazy I'd like to ask who out there has had total knees done and what if any precautions you took when you returned to jumping. My ortho surgeon just covered his ears and shook his head when I told him I skydive and intended to continue after surgery. Did you wear knee braces? Anything else? I've already upsized my canopy as I couldn't run too fast as the knees have gotten worse.

I've got junk knees due to years of consistent athletic abuse. I wear knees braces and jump a large canopy which, touch wood, works nicely. In what I consider fast landing situations I slide in on my butt. Keep my knees working by doing loads of cycling - running is the big knee killer imho. The problem with knee surgery, which I have been offered but declined once I got a (better) second opinion, is that it sometimes just doesn't 'work'.  So, no magic answer I'm afraid, just my own situation.  

Good friend of mine, who doesn't skydive had both knees replaced several years ago.  Prior to the surgery he was told to loose weight.  He didn't loose any weight, had the surgery and there have been some complications.  It's been several years and his weight has increased.  He had to have the surgery but is not satisfied with the results.  Bottom line is that everyone is different and if you are over weight, loose the difference before your surgery and keep it off and don't run on the new knee.   

I had knee surgery 6 years ago. My knee started dis-locating 5 years afteer an airplane crash. Doctors diagnosed me with three torn ligaments in my left knee. Since they could not repair my posterior cruxiate ligament, they re-aligned the top of my tibia.

In the months leading up to surgery, I did plenty of half-hour hikes to build up my leg muscles and stamina. Unfortunately, I could not afford physio-therapy, so my healing process was considerably delayed.

Since knee surgery, I did another 300 tandem jumps, then retired from skydiving.

On 9/10/2020 at 10:34 PM, bigbearfng said:

As I'm sitting around on the wait list for surgery going crazy I'd like to ask who out there has had total knees done and what if any precautions you took when you returned to jumping. My ortho surgeon just covered his ears and shook his head when I told him I skydive and intended to continue after surgery. Did you wear knee braces? Anything else? I've already upsized my canopy as I couldn't run too fast as the knees have gotten worse.

I’ve done 3500 jumps, mostly tandem since having a knee replaced. It has never been a factor, and my birthday coincides with the cooling of the earth’s crust. 

7 hours ago, raff said:

I’ve done 3500 jumps, mostly tandem since having a knee replaced. It has never been a factor, and my birthday coincides with the cooling of the earth’s crust. 

Now that's encouraging to hear! How long did you wait after the surgery?

I replaced my Left Knee in April 2016 - I was jumping by June and doing tandems by July - It was sore, and originally hard to bend fully, but I rehabbed that mother like no tomorrow. I replaced my Right Knee in December and didn't jump until March or April. It stayed stiff until this month. I rehabbed it hard this time too, but I'm older 65+ so the time to heal was a lot slower.

My surgeon brags to his patients I have 1600 jumps on my new left knee.

(edited)

I'm following this because I had a TPF (tibial plateau fracture) about 20 years ago and was told I'd need an artificial knee in about 5 years.  I'm long over due but not in any discomfort and don't take any medications.  Turning 70 in January with about 3600 jumps.  Maybe 1500 jumps on the fracture and no sign,  in the future of a new knee,  yet.  I was told by one of my doctors, after the last of 5 operations, that if I didn't gain any weight, didn't run or smoked and drank moderately, his handiwork might last  20+ years.  3 out of 4 ain't bad.....

Edited by danornan