lpeter757

Living On A Drop Zone Full Time

Its not that I dont trust her. I dont trust the guys. She is 5'0 108 lbs and if she had been drinking it would be really easy to overpower her. I am fully confident that I dont have to worry about her running off with someone but I am not confident that someone will not try to run off with her. :| and yes NWflyer, it is very disrespectful to her and other women on the DZ.

Carpe Diem, Even if it kills me -- "Dead Poet's Society"

"Are you getting into trouble over there?" --- "Nothing that I'm going to admit to!"

Totally agree. I hear this a lot. "It's not that I don't trust you, I don't trust other guys!" "So you think so-and-so would rape me." "What? No! I just--" and they can never finish the sentence.

If you think you are skydiving with a bunch of rapists, you should really rethink socializing with those individuals altogether.
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.

I dont trust the guys. She is 5'0 108 lbs and if she had been drinking it would be really easy to overpower her.

Rape is still an illegal and reprehensible act. How is it that you can even think that someone making comments about your girlfriend would equate to someone intending on raping your girlfriend? I have to ask if you're serious? Do you really have this concern?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

How is it that you can even think that someone making comments about your girlfriend would equate to someone intending on raping your girlfriend? I have to ask if you're serious? Do you really have this concern?

It's legit of him to be concerned about rape in general because ye gods, the statistics about how many women are raped are just horrible. (and speaking personally, I tend to assume the worst about people/men who make jokes about rape because some shit just ain't funny.)

But OP, if you're concerned about rape on your dz in particular then you need to get a new dz. Why would you want to hang out and jump with people that you feel are legitimate threats to your girlfriend's safety? I'm not talking about one or two creepers like most large dzs have-- you make it sound like every male jumper on your dz is a predator in disguise.

I've been creeped on at the dz for sure. But it's been pretty rare and frankly most of the dudes 100% had my back when I needed them to.

But OP, if you're concerned about rape on your dz in particular then you need to get a new dz.

Yeah, no kidding, not to say that there isn't a threat but to be OK with hanging out with this crowd AT ALL. I just read his post and thought, "Fuckin' Huh?"

Just to be clear, we're talking about 2 well different things here.

The 'you lose your turn' line (whether you like it or not) seems to have some basis in truth. Lots of short term relationships and hookups at the DZs... If people here think it's disrespectful to women, grow up. It's equally disrespectful to the guys. Or not at all to either.

We're talking about consensual hookups. If you 're worried about it, just don't do it. If you're worried that your boyfriend or girlfriend will do it then there are some trust issues you need to work out... There IS more pressure being released at a DZ after hours than just at some random bar with whuffos. Not liking that doesn't make it any less true. That's what leads to the lifer-affirming behavior of skydivers. :ph34r:

That said - what you're concerned about, non consensual attacks are completely different. Why you'd choose to even go to that DZ if that's a legitimate concern baffles me.

Skydiving clubs used to be like families. Wierd, slightly dysfunctional families to be sure, but I've never felt threatened by any of them. Times they sure must be a'changing.

It's just the fact that there are aleays a ton of people hanging around after hours that we don't know. A mixture between that the amount of drugs and alcohol that go around on the DZ, you can never be too careful. You never know what someone will do with a concoction of chemicals running through their brain. Especially if someone is telling them no. So I would still be cautious even if half the dz wasn't making those jokes. But those comments and crude jokes from people outside of our circle of friends doesn't help the feeling of unease. As I said, it's only when she's been drinking and everyone else is getting fucked up, I won't leave her side. On a normal DZ day however, I have no worries.

"Are you getting into trouble over there?" --- "Nothing that I'm going to admit to!"

There is no DZ night life to speak of; they close the hangars. I'm sure there's partying in the ghetto, but if you live there, you can always go home, no matter how shitfaced you are.

As a former fun jumper there, they run a pretty tight ship; I can't imagine them putting up with a reportably aggressive employee. But I could be wrong -- I was only a fun jumper.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

StoppieJoe

A mixture between that the amount of drugs and alcohol that go around on the DZ, you can never be too careful. You never know what someone will do with a concoction of chemicals running through their brain. Especially if someone is telling them no.

Drugs and alcohol don't turn people into rapists.

I know you're just trying to look out for your lady but honestly I would hate it if my boyfriend treated me like that. I can take care of myself and I'm an adult. If she asks for you to stay with her or feels better with you there then knock yourself out but if she hasn't asked for your protection she probably doesn't need it.

No it may not. But the key words here are with as many new people and people we don't know and the drugs and alcohol, you never know what will happen. She has asked for me to stay with her during the after hours and to not leave her side when she's been drinking. Makes her feel special :) lol. But yeah. It's not the people who work here or the normal fun jumpers, we have a very respectable staff. It's the random new people and the people who we don't know that are getting super drunk and/or doing drugs that I watch out for. Skydivers come from a hugely diverse back ground. You never know who could be fucked up enough in the head to do that.

And that's where this comes around to the original point: The new people who we don't know and the random people that show up on the drop zone who make these sexual comments (and like I said, I can't tell who is joking sometimes) and quote the lose your slot rule to me after only knowing me for 2 days, make me feel uncomfortable.

wmw999

There is no DZ night life to speak of; they close the hangars. I'm sure there's partying in the ghetto, but if you live there, you can always go home, no matter how shitfaced you are.

As a former fun jumper there, they run a pretty tight ship; I can't imagine them putting up with a reportably aggressive employee. But I could be wrong -- I was only a fun jumper.

Wendy P.

This is also not skydive spaceland in Houston. It's Skydive Dallas with an owner change. They are maling some changes and its going to be awesome but as of now Our buildings are always open and there is a good amount of night life/party life in the trailer park.

StoppieJoe

You never know who could be fucked up enough in the head to do that.

So everyone is a suspect. I certainly disagree with that. And that's coming from somebody with a girlfriend that weights 110lbs and that has guys all over her all every time she is in a DZ party. I understand your concerns, but IMO you are taking the wrong approach.

Didn't pay attention: yes, Dallas does have a party scene

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You should let people know that the behavior you don't like isn't acceptable. I think you'll find that people more often rise to the occasion. Also, if the regular jumpers and staff are not like that then they have your back let people know that this kind of stuff is going on with the visitors and you'll see them close ranks.

Sharing is caring. I would love to live on the DZ, too. Everything comes with balance...
who will care for the kids and wife while Im jumping? hmmm sometimes we cannot share our spouse then respect, prevails. The good thing is most people like good tempered kids!

I have a dog, too but most dzs don't allow dogs. If DZOs are allowing dogs at the dropzone then the professionalism should be transparent to the business and people surrounding our passionate activity.
If we play with fire xyz, happens... and dogs do shit in other peoples backyard.

We can choose our balance between lifestyle at the DZ with spouse, kids and playtime or whatever flavour of the week.
I really enjoyed reading through all replies but the ABOVE reply has been summarized into simplicity...Avoid X, y and z then live free!
Check your ego at the door. Stay humble.

jonstark

Remind me why exactly you want to live on the DZ anyway.
Is it the perceived lifestyle?
Short commute if you intend to work there?
Low rent?
Sence of community?
Why???

Jon

It's where I grew up. I've been on dropzones since I was 3 years old. It's home to me. I love the smell of nylon and jet fuel in the morning. That and because it is so cheap to live out here, it's the only way I can afford to start jumping. Skydiving is my career choice so i have to be able to put the money into it before I can start making money. Last but not least: I want to travel so not sinking any roots down (like apartment leases) allows me to go wherever I want at any time I need to.

Iago

Either that or break the knees of the first guy that tries it.

:|

News flash. Someone probably hits on your girlfriend, fiancee or wife every time you guys go to a bar ANYWHERE to some degree or other.

Try picking a fight every time that happens and you'll be eating through a straw pretty quickly....

Either you trust the partner in your life to deal with it, or you don't. If they ASK for help, fair enough, but some of the macho bullshit this thread is pathetic.

As long as your girlfriend in not scared of being embarrassed by asking loudly for people to quit bothering her (and therefore not being "universally liked"), she'll most likely be just fine. Because there are way more good people at the DZ than assholes, just like most places.

Being skydivers, and already having changed their lives enough to live on the DZ, some folks might be a little more "out there," but you'll know who they are soon enough.

I learned years later that I was considered to be intimidating on the DZ by some folks. That might be a good demeanor for your girlfriend as well. The person who told me is one of my best friends. And he was one of the intimidated folks 40+ years ago.

Wendy P.

Yes Ma'am!
Me anyways
Wellllllll here is somethin to chew on
Recently spent time at Eloy. Many live there awesome dz for all except one.
If u don't like to watch 100 chickens trying to chase and kill one specific chicken like a gang bang from hell then move on folks this is bloody!
Staff guy and his wife they have 18 year old so been together a bit, buy RV move to Eloy dz. Alls good wife stays out of hanger and daily goings on unless the couple go and eat.
Perfect situation perfect couple ya right!
girls don't like wifey and here goes the drama.
Integrity and loyalty go to wife right? Hell nope one guy and girly workers gang bang her. The shit flew bad
End goes like this video girl sees the blood bath and try help wifey go get abuse help. Husband files the big papers with lawyers twister is he never allowed her on their accounts. Hmmm
Next chapter he owns everything in divorce she won park bench and dumpster diner.
Seriously though before leaving Arizona couple weeks ago personally saw her sleep bench outside Walmart and dz crew laugbin.
If you WANT LOYALTY FROM A DZ as a jumper or crew ELOY is hands down winner in that category.
Don't take wifey there or do if u want to leave her homeless foodless shoeless and bloody sick dream divorce guys hint hint
think the last Crew betting pool was date of last breath.
It been couple weeks though pretty sure that pool over with one high money winner
One longest nap of her life loserrrr