RunamukChuck

TI Yelling GO! from the back of the Otter

Lots of bulls hit reply to your post. Being safe yet efficient is the goal here. It cost time and more important monew to go around for a second pass. When it is possible to all exit on the same pass that should happen. You asked what you can do better. You can be informed to the airspeed of the aircraft at exit. The winds aloft and learn about drift. You could begin to understand that 8 seconds is,when you were to leave the aircraft not begin your climbout. Questions you have are best directed to your local instructors and S&TA and DZO... don't hesitate to ask questions.. like thisvone. You will get it and your TIS will get over it..

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

chuckakers

***if the goal was to exit at an 8 count you needed to start climbing out earlier

and if you are looking for 45 degrees you are an idiot, anyone that taught you to do that is an idiot

this topic has been discussed for years and the 45 degree rule does not work, it's just crazy that it even comes up

1. He only needed to "start climbing out earlier" if he was going to climb out. If he was just diving out the door that wouldn't be necessary.

2. Back off of the guy. At 56 jumps I wouldn't say he's an idiot for using a technique he's obviously been taught.

To the OP, you're not an idiot for using the 45 degree rule if it was taught to you, but it is bogus. Go tell the person who told you to use it that they are an idiot, but before you do educate yourself on why the 45 degree rule doesn't work so you can defend your position. ;)

Also, work the plan and ignore the jackasses. You spoke to an instructor in the plane and agreed on a safe separation time. You executed the plan. That should have been the end of it.

Great answer!

Thanks to all that weighed in & provided insight on this topic. Some great take aways for me on this topic are
- Tandems and the turbine aircraft operations they help to support
- I learned why the 45 degree rule DOES NOT WORK(Thanks kallend)
- Timeliness in the door
- Plan the dive & dive the plan starting with the exit
- Having a chat with this individual did give me his perspective & gave us a chance to jump together to work on the spot, exit seperation, & the climb out.

I'm happy to report that in the last 2 weeks since this post I have completed AFF and am now an A license holder.
Air Cooled, Gravity Powered

SRA #6305

Now THAT'S a happy ending! Thanks for the update.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

DougH

I have been at dropzones where the TI's start screaming go the second the green light goes on, and work their way up to a shrill GET THE FUCK OUT. It is pretty unprofessional from the student experience point of view.

Excellent point. TI's need to think about the impression their making to their passengers..

We all need to work together

Wouldn't that be nice, a little teamwork? ;):)

RunamukChuck

- Having a chat with this individual did give me his perspective & gave us a chance to jump together to work on the spot, exit seperation, & the climb out.

Great job keeping it civil and asking around. I'd like to point out it's "separation" though :)
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Excellent point. TI's need to think about the impression their making to their passengers..

No kidding, they're already amped through the roof. I always tell my T-students that there's not much they could do that would negatively affect the outcome, just relax and have a good time.

Jump run is no place to yell at people or raise the stress level. If someone is doing something too slowly there then it's because of what they learned on the ground. You're not going to help by shouting at them in the air.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

[If someone is doing something too slowly there then it's because of what they learned on the ground. You're not going to help by shouting at them in the air.

Instead you gently throw'em out and find them later to let them apologize
What goes around, comes later.

format

***[If someone is doing something too slowly there then it's because of what they learned on the ground. You're not going to help by shouting at them in the air.

Instead you gently throw'em out and find them later to let them apologize

The Tandem student is better positions for that, I usually cover it in the ground briefing so they can deliver a swift kick.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher