1 1
Sebazz1

I think about jumpin days.

I used to jump a lot.  A lot.  I don't jump anymore.  It's been 9 years since my last jump.  My first kid was 7 months old.  I just wanted to be home so I stopped.  The years I jumped had a huge impact and influence on me.  I met some of the most important people in my life from my jumping years.  I am happy.  I don't need it anymore.  I have found other ways to fly (e.g. sailing). On certain occasions though, I reminisce...

I shared in some epic jumping times with so many people I touch base with occasionally.  I shared in those same epic times with too many that are not with us anymore.  I posted here a lot too :).

I still have all my gear (except a main).  Who knows; maybe i'll get out there again.  Trust my kids to pack?  Serious serious doubts about that.  :)  Molalla is right out my back door.  Will see.  Peter/Steph! Come make me jump!

Cheers!  

Edited by Sebazz1
  • Like 1

Hi there — do you still have your three-hole punch?
Been there. Came back, but I hadn’t found anything I liked as much. And sailing is easier to do with your family at this age. Buy a bigger boat and sail the world this Covid year. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, neilmck said:

I did the same, kept my chute for the day I would go back skydiving.  Finally did give into the bug, 25 years later.  Funnily enough the DZO won't let me jump my old kit though, even if it did work last time I jumped it.

Yup, sell your gear to someone who will use it. If you still can.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

The reserve is a 40-year old round and the container is a Talon Classic that cannot be modified for an AAD so none of this is allowed to be jumped in France, however it did work last time I jumped it. :)

The years roll by faster than you think.  The DZO gave me the details of a museum in Strasbourg who would be interested by it, just I can't admit I'm old enough to be donating my stuff to museums.

• Like 3

On 9/11/2020 at 7:59 AM, neilmck said:

The reserve is a 40-year old round and the container is a Talon Classic that cannot be modified for an AAD so none of this is allowed to be jumped in France, however it did work last time I jumped it. :)

The years roll by faster than you think.  The DZO gave me the details of a museum in Strasbourg who would be interested by it, just I can't admit I'm old enough to be donating my stuff to museums.

This made me laugh but it's bitter-sweet because it hits home...  I haven't jumped for years.  The last time I went to a dropzone I was struck by how young everyone looked, how the gear had changed, how unbelievably talented even the "newbies" were because of tunnel time.  I wonder if I will ever fully lose that conflicted feeling of wanting to go back and thinking it's "too late"...  No museum would want my gear (yet)...  But I also can't bring myself to sell it.

• Like 1

(edited)

I still jump and would love to share the sky with you when you start up again.  I still remember the first time i finally met you so many years ago.  Good times!!

Edited to add - even if you don't decide to jump again, it would be super awesome just to hang out.  :)

Edited by sunshine
just cuz

Wow this topic really hits close to home. I quit for twenty years while I raised my kids, but I never stopped thinking about the sky. This year my youngest started college so I decided to start jumping again. I still love it ! Can’t believe I ever stopped really, but one thing I’ve learned in the 57 years I’ve been on this rock is that life is not always about me. There’s nothing more important than raising your kids, love them, love them, love them. But there is more to raising kids than protecting them. Self preservation is natural, and they’ll figure that out on their own. Knowing how to live is a bit trickier, and I have a feeling that’s where your parenting skills will soar. Skydiving is a gift, and you know that, don’t hide it from your kids just to keep them safe. It’s better to teach them how to be safe in a dangerous world, than to hide from it.
Didn’t mean to get so deep, but don’t want you to make the same mistakes that I did. What I did want to say is when you’re ready the sport will welcome you back with open arms, they did me. It has changed a lot. They’re both better and safer than we were. They talk more about packing, and landings, and flight patterns, and they’re better because of it. You will need new gear though, they laughed at my old five cell swift reserve, and it was state of the art when I got it. The gear is better, and the training is better. These kids are doing amazing things in the air, the sport is progressing nicely. But belly flying is still about the same, and they still make canopies that go slower when they’re open than when they’re packed, so don’t be intimidated by the changes. But don’t wait too long, a happy parent is better than a grumpy one.