2 2
honest.py

RDS vs full RDS

I'm trying to understand the difference between normal RDS (or RS - removable slider only) and full RDS
I do understand the overall idea behind each of these systems - RDS/RS is just a removable slider, and full RDS takes off slider, pilot chute and d bag = less drag
What I don't fully understand is how exactly full RDS looks like, how all these parts are connected to each other and how is it possible to just take a slider off and leave pilot chute and d bag when using full RDS. As far as I know, a slider is connected to your d bag by two thin lines. What happens with your d bag and pilot chute if you remove just a slider? 
Also what are the pros and cons of having a full RDS and only taking a slider off? Does it affect the openings? 
I've been told that having a full RDS is not fully recommended for terminal jumps. I don't fully get how this may change anything

Cheers! 

4 hours ago, honest.py said:

I'm trying to understand the difference between normal RDS (or RS - removable slider only) and full RDS
I do understand the overall idea behind each of these systems - RDS/RS is just a removable slider, and full RDS takes off slider, pilot chute and d bag = less drag
What I don't fully understand is how exactly full RDS looks like, how all these parts are connected to each other and how is it possible to just take a slider off and leave pilot chute and d bag when using full RDS. As far as I know, a slider is connected to your d bag by two thin lines. What happens with your d bag and pilot chute if you remove just a slider? 
Also what are the pros and cons of having a full RDS and only taking a slider off? Does it affect the openings? 
I've been told that having a full RDS is not fully recommended for terminal jumps. I don't fully get how this may change anything

Cheers! 

With a full RDS when you remove the slider you have to collect in the bag and pilot chute also. I am using full RDS on my Leia 69 at the moment and going to terminal. I haven't noticed any difference in openings. Downside is it takes more time to collect in when trying to negotiate traffic and is quite a lump to stuff down your jumpsuit if you dont have a pocket for it. Upside is performance and it looks better on Flocking pics.

Traditional parachutes have their pilot-chutes and deployment bags semi-permanently attached to the canopy via a knot or connector link.

Split sliders are fashionable with 3 centimetre precision landing competitors because they allow risers to spread wider, improving lateral stability. Nowadays, many PA competitors just pull sliders down to neck level.

Collapsible sliders were the next invention, primarily to reduce vibrations as wing-loadings exceeded 1 pound per square foot during the 1990s. That vibration also prematurely wore out the bottom of suspension lines.

Removeable sliders were briefly fashionable before pond swooping became a hard-core, niche competition event.

Then they added extra-long bridles that connect sliders to d-bags. With full-blown RDS, the d-bag and pilot-chute are not linked to the canopy. Once open, they just trail behind.

I used to build RDS' at Para Concepts.

When you order an RDS from them, you get the slider itself and the lanyards you use to connect your deployment bag and pilot chute to the removable slider, instead of the top of your canopy. So at least with their model, you can do slider only or full. You can even switch from one to the other from jump to jump if you want to.

Technically there is no difference between RDS and so-called full RDS - both include removable slider with attached d-bag and slider.

There is also removable slider, but that technically is not the same as RDS slider - because removable slider doesn't necesarily have a possiblity to attach the lanyard to connect the d-bag. 

Edited by skow

The NEW RDS removeable Slider from hardcore Russian swoopers (no bears was hurt!) Developed for terminal deployment. It can be manufactured in any size specified by the customer, and costs about $150.

s1.JPG

s2.JPG

Full version (prototype) has a different design, we strongly dislike traditional separate lines for the bridle connect.spacer.png

Edited by Veis
  • Like 1

To the question "full RDS vs. slider only". During the tests, we saw the situation of wrapping and blocking the opening by the "full-RDS" bridle link in the terminal deployment, a high-speed failure and an almost inevitable cutaway. Be careful!

Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 14-24-43 фрикаделько - Форумы SkyCentre.png

• Like 1