1 1
ryoder

Pilot landing at LAX reports 'guy in a jetpack' flying near plane

Interesting.

The Bell "Rocket Belt", which is what automatically comes to mind when someone says 'Jet Pack" doesn't have enough flight time to get to 3k (and back down safely).

It would have to be something like Yves Rossy's setup, or the wingsuits with micro-turbines strapped to the feet of the guy (I seem to recall this was done a while back, but haven't really heard of it since then). 

Or maybe an R/C aircraft or drone of some sort.

I know some of the R/C stuff gets pretty elaborate. I saw a video of a scratch built XB-70 Valkyrie take it's first flight a couple weeks ago. Not the biggest R/C I've seen (maybe 4 or 5 foot nose to tail), but still not small.

I don't think it would be too far 'out of the realm of possibility' for someone to make a very light dummy with a jet pack of some sort (Rocket Belt or Rossy's kind) and get it up in the air.

Up in the sky it could be 1/2 to 2/3 size and nobody would be able to tell it wasn't a real person. 

And, of course, this evokes memories of both Lawn Chair Larry and the photo shoot for the cover of Pink Floyd's "Animals" album.