dragon2

Petition to keep open Skydiving Centre Teuge (The Netherlands)

Hi,

Help please!

Can everyone please sign this petition? Out of the blue, new flight routes were announced a week ago which will close Paracentrum Teuge (2nd biggest European Skydiving Centre), and thereby the entire Teuge Airport, plus a separate hang gliding airfield in 2019.

These new flight routes seem to be set in stone >:([:/][:/][:/]

The petition:
https://voortbestaanteuge.petities.nl/?utm_source=KNVvL+mailinglijst&utm_campaign=5da05e571c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07_03&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e747f36b20-5da05e571c-107487069
(Sign name, email address, town of residence and confirm by clicking the email link sent to you)

More information about what's happening (in Dutch):
https://www.facebook.com/VliegroutesoverTeuge/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Indeed - for the English speakers, this link will make life a little easier:

https://voortbestaanteuge.petities.nl/?locale=en

What is at risk here is the closure of yet another skydive centre in The Netherlands. It will not only impact the sport in the country in a big way, but affect hundreds of small businesses in the area. From the local bars, restaurants, campsites and hotels to the rigging lofts and suppliers. Hell, the airfield itself is threatened with bankruptcy given 50% of their revenues are from the parachute centre. The National Parachute Centre Teuge is a club - profits are put back into growing the sport, maintaining excellent equipment, facilities and the 3x Cessna Supervans. The FAI Worldcup and European Cups were hosted by Teuge in 2015 and all who visited and participated were treated to wonderful hospitality and facilities. Don't let this be another drop zone that gets closed down. It affects each and every skydiver. Please share this as widely as possible. Much appreciation and Blue Skies to you all

Who set these new routes?, and are they set in stone at this point? The justification for the change needs to be challenged strongly.

Is it just in Holland or are the routes part of a network that includes the rest of Europe?

Because it will take more than a petition to stop this, usually these things are usually proposals at first, which gives a chance for discussion and input from various parties.

What it needs is input from local and national politicians, and a strong case has to be made as to why these changes are not necessary...So you need to get the support of all those local businesses, plus the national parachute organisation and national aero club body.

I too have been to Teuge, and its a great centre.

If it does close, what (if any) is the alternative. I'd be looking to the authorities who made this decision for compensation, and take it through the courts right up to EU level if necessary...so you'll need a fighting fund for that.

Its going to be a tough fight, but even if the future looks bleak at the moment, it doesn't mean it can't be won.

But you will have to fight hard, and leave nothing in the tank. Good luck.

Edited to add: Just looked and signed your petition, but for English speakers, it is very difficult to understand both the wording of the petition, and the confirmation email.

You need to get an English version of each one. If it isn't easy to access, you won't get such a good response, and there are a lot of skydivers out there. Signatures from around the world will carry a lot of weight with politicians, and show it is more than just a local issue.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

Who set these new routes?

Air Traffic Control the Netherlands (LVNL) and the military.

and are they set in stone at this point?

Seem to be, yes.

usually these things are usually proposals at first, which gives a chance for discussion and input from various parties.

As I understand it, paraphrasing a bit: since Airport Amsterdam/Schiphol can't expand as much as needed anymore, Airport Lelystad (which USED to be a dropzone before all this started btw) needs to be adapted to take over some of these flights.

Up until a little over a week ago, various routes for climbing and descending were considered, the one over Teuge being NOT a favorite.

Then a little over a week ago the news came from the military and the LVNL that the routes are now all figured out, all within the guidelines/rules set to the parties which were 'military and Schiphol not affected, min 6000ft over eastern provinces and not too much noise for residential areas'.

All done.

Boom.

Big surprise(/nightmare) for the provinces of Overijssel and Gelderland, the stakeholders of airport Teuge, local businesses, local residents, the KNVvL (Dutch General Aviation, which includes skydivers) and others, because the biggest Dutch dropzone can't operate with a permanent 5000ft jump limit and if the skydivers go, the airfield will go broke.

If it does close, what (if any) is the alternative.

Half of the skydiving jumps annually here are made in Teuge (40-45k). Texel isn't able to handle much of an increase let alone the other smaller DZs.

So, it would need to be Germany, probably, if that.

Also, Teuge airport was SUPPOSED to handle the general aviation being displaced from Lelystad, so they need a new place to go too!

Edited to add: Just looked and signed your petition, but for English speakers, it is very difficult to understand both the wording of the petition, and the confirmation email.

You need to get an English version of each one. If it isn't easy to access, you won't get such a good response, and there are a lot of skydivers out there. Signatures from around the world will carry a lot of weight with politicians, and show it is more than just a local issue.

Thanks, I mentioned it to the originators of the petition.

Edit: we need 40k signatures, we're at 7.5k now after 1 1/2 days.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I am not great at Dutch but enter you name in the first section then email in second section and your location in the third and hit the
Blue oblong shaped send button....

You will then receive an email asking you to verify ...

So simply click on the URL link under your email address and that's it !

The landing page says thanks for signing.

Teuge is a great DZ with great people.

:(

I hope this can be challenged and stopped. I did my very first ever skydive as a tandem there and it led me on a wonderful journey.

Ik hoop dat je heel veel succes heeft. Wij hebben hier allemaal thuis bijgetekend het petitie.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

From Nationaal Paracentrum Teuge/Erwin vd Braak:

First 10.000+ signatures are in. We need more though! Please share it among the skydiving community. For foreign friends it's a bit tough because of the language. However there's an English version for the signature part :

In short the text states:

Air traffic control authority by demand of the Ministry of infrastructure will limit all general aviation to a maximum altitude of 5000ft. This is happening unannounced, at the largest dropzone (and organizer of the 2015 world cup) in the Netherlands, at the latest April first 2019. Why, because the big commercial airport far enough away needs a little extra airspace. Continuation of the DZ and entire Airfield (since we bring in 50% of the revenue) is no longer possible and liquidation is facing us. If you think this needs to be stopped, please leave your name and email at the petition below.

You'll receive a confirmation email, unfortunately also in Dutch.
This email asks you for confirmation of the signature and if you're convinced you want to undersign.
The FIRST link provided in this email (ends with "confirm") is the last thing you've to do to support us. After that you're signature is confirmed and counted.

Pleas help us out and thank you for the support!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The U.S. Parachute Association has a quarter-million dollars sitting in their Airport Access Defense fund, and nothing to do with it. I wonder if the board could make an allocation to help out a small foreign parachute association?

Good luck. Here in the US (or at least in the Mid-West) we are seeing airport access issues, one right after another, with little to no help from USPA. >:(
=========Shaun ==========

We're at 15.8k signatures now. A lot, but nowhere near the 40k we need, yet.

Please, from wherever in the world, sign this petition & confirm!

We ARE gaining attention though, in the national media, and in the nearest local town of Apeldoorn a city meeting was held. Also the 4 surrounding municipalities sent an urgent letter to the minister of state.

New nickname for Lelystad Airport I've seen mentioned somewhere: Fakeport Lelystad.

Ahem...

ciel bleu,
Saskia