1 1
brenthutch

Broke down and bought a hybrid

My Prius has been a great purchase as a commuter car, and I don't mind driving it at all, despite having owned large lifted trucks and sport cars along the way.

I bought it as a commuter car with 30k on the ticker to drive a 100 mile round trip commute. 200k miles later it is still going strong, and all I have ever done for service was to replace the non-hybrid battery, and change the oil.

We are slowly moving in to our new house and I am amazed at the amount of stuff I can stuff in it with the seats down because it is a hatch back.

(edited)
57 minutes ago, brenthutch said:
10 hours ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Brent bought a Hybrid? I'm not quite up on religious dogma. Is this one of the first signs of the rapture? Ron? Anyone?

Just doing my part to save the planet 

But the thing is that they say there is 50-100 years left of fossil fuels.  That's going to be burned up one way or another, whether it's by the U.S, China, Africa, the Middle East, or Russia.

I suppose it's best served by the eastern world so that they have a chance to experience the benefits before we destroy ourselves.

Edited by Coreece

7 minutes ago, kallend said:
10 hours ago, Coreece said:

I suppose it's best served by the eastern world so that they have a chance to experience the benefits before we destroy ourselves.

When did it become SOP to push problems off to our decendants?

I just doubt we have much control over how China, the Middle East and Russia decide to use fossil fuels, and that it's all going to be burned up in the next 50-100 years anyway. 

How long would we have to stretch it to make a difference and how do you force those countries to comply without endless wars?

On 8/28/2020 at 8:18 AM, Phil1111 said:

Ok we get the equation. Christmas is coming soon so this sale might help.. Stocking suffers so to speak.

hehe...reminds me of an old joke..

Mom is explaining the facts of life to her daughter.  "If you ever have any questions just ask."

Daughter says "I do have a question.  The other night i walked past your bedroom and you had daddy's thing in your mouth.  Do baby's come from there too?"

Mom laughed and said "No honey.  That's where jewelry comes from."

8 hours ago, Coreece said:

I just doubt we have much control over how China, the Middle East and Russia decide to use fossil fuels, and that it's all going to be burned up in the next 50-100 years anyway. 

How long would we have to stretch it to make a difference and how do you force those countries to comply without endless wars?

Why do you want to force to comply ? Comply to what ?

if there is 50-100 years of fuel left, it seems that you prefer to burn the max of it before the others rather than to be the smart dude trying to maximise it to maybe 100-150 years and find solutions to not be dependent of this ressource. 

23 minutes ago, piisfish said:
9 hours ago, Coreece said:

Why do you want to force to comply ? Comply to what ?

Force them to comply with being "the smart dude" as you put it and stretching it to 100-150 years like you said.

25 minutes ago, piisfish said:

if there is 50-100 years of fuel left, it seems that you prefer to burn the max of it before the others rather than to be the smart dude trying to maximise it to maybe 100-150 years and find solutions to not be dependent of this ressource. 

No not at all.  I'm just saying that I think other countries will burn it regardless of what we do.

Also, will stretching it an extra 50 years make much of a difference?  I suppose I can do my own research on that one.

5 hours ago, airdvr said:

hehe...reminds me of an old joke..

Mom is explaining the facts of life to her daughter.  "If you ever have any questions just ask."

Daughter says "I do have a question.  The other night i walked past your bedroom and you had daddy's thing in your mouth.  Do baby's come from there too?"

Mom laughed and said "No honey.  That's where jewelry comes from."

I wonder what we're allowed to call you for that tired old misogynistic joke?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coreece said:

You have a point. A damn good point. Probably too many made up numbers would need to be used to guestimate the difference. But you've got me thinking about it.

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

No not at all.  I'm just saying that I think other countries will burn it regardless of what we do.

They will generally do what we do.  The reason they want gasoline cars is the same reason we want gasoline cars - they are convenient and they get you from place to place efficiently.  If we can find another way to do that that's better, they will follow that as well.  EV's are the simple answer but there's a lot more to transportation than a new kind of car.

Also, will stretching it an extra 50 years make much of a difference?  I suppose I can do my own research on that one.

Not for you.  For your grandkids?  Probably.

(edited)
4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I just let it slide because commenting is pointless. You are of course correct Joe. But the word would be sexist, if we were allowed to call people out.

Edited by gowlerk

3 hours ago, billvon said:

They will generally do what we do.  The reason they want gasoline cars is the same reason we want gasoline cars - they are convenient and they get you from place to place efficiently.  If we can find another way to do that that's better, they will follow that as well.  EV's are the simple answer but there's a lot more to transportation than a new kind of car.

Because probably is the true answer we sort of need to concede the point.

13 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Just what is misogynistic about a mutually beneficial arrangement between two consenting adults?  BJ shaming and denying a woman agency of her own body is misogynistic.

21 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Just what is misogynistic about a mutually beneficial arrangement between two consenting adults?  BJ shaming and denying a woman agency of her own body is misogynistic.

Good try Brent, its all ok and Joe knows whats really going on. When you marry above your pay grade life is a challenge. So you overcompensated by buying the most massive panzerwagon available. At least you didn't buy the flashing red LED wedding band to signal to other males "she's taken".

Insecurities about marriage and how America is changing have painted you into trump's corner. If it gets too bad just go back to the MB dealer and take one for a test drive. You could tell yourself its not the vehicle for you because you're not that ostentatious.

35 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Good try Brent, its all ok and Joe knows whats really going on. When you marry above your pay grade life is a challenge. So you overcompensated by buying the most massive panzerwagon available. At least you didn't buy the flashing red LED wedding band to signal to other males "she's taken".

Insecurities about marriage and how America is changing have painted you into trump's corner. If it gets too bad just go back to the MB dealer and take one for a test drive. You could tell yourself its not the vehicle for you because you're not that ostentatious.

Why are you trying to be so insulting?  What is your motivation?  What is your end game?

Is it your attempt at being a bully?

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I just let it slide because commenting is pointless. You are of course correct Joe. But the word would be sexist, if we were allowed to call people out.

Yes. You are right. But in an abundance of caution I'm steering clear of 'ist's until the smoke clears you darn pickeral eatin' Canuckist.

10 hours ago, billvon said:
14 hours ago, Coreece said:

They will generally do what we do. 

Exactly, and many are still having trouble joining the 20th century, let alone the 21st..   In their mind, what's going to get them their more quickly?

EV's are the simple answer but there's a lot more to transportation than a new kind of car.

What I'm talking about goes beyond just transportation. 

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.  Stretching it 50 more years probably isn't enough.  It seems like we'd have to extend it by 100 or 200 years, probably even more.  Yet while the western world decreases it's use of fossil fuels, global demand and consumption continue to rise.

I found this article that explains the point I'm trying to make:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerpielke/2019/10/27/the-world-is-not-going-to-reduce-carbon-dioxide-emissions-by-50-by-2030-now-what/#1bf7b5933794

"the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reported that “limiting global warming to 1.5°C would require rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society.” Specifically, “Global net human-caused emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) would need to fall by about 45 percent from 2010 levels by 2030, reaching ‘net zero’ around 2050.”

Here I’ll show you the simple mathematics of what achieving the 2030 target entails. The evidence shows clearly that the world is far from being on a path that will come anywhere close to that goal. That is not an opinion, it is just math . . .

. . .Despite the overwhelming evidence on the unlikelihood of meeting the 2030 target, such realism has yet to take hold in climate policy discussions. Some even go so far as to claim that presentation of this type of analysis amounts to climate denial. For those making such claims, I’ve got news for you – the world is going to miss the 2030 target whether we talk about that reality or deny it, so we had better get to work on rethinking climate policy."