1 1
martymac11

Skydiving helps Vet cope with PTSD

Within the last few days I saw a video on the Facebook page of a DZ telling the story of one veteran who says skydiving turned his life around.  I alerted a Veteran friend of mine to the video and he has asked me to send him the link.  I can't for the life of me find that video now; and I don't remember which DZ Facebook page it was on.  I believe it was a Southern DZ but that doesn't help much.  Can someone tip me off as to where I can find this video?  It was just over 7 minutes long.  Thanks

Martin (Marty) MacDonald

D-18936

Skydiving certainly helped me retain my sanity through depression, alcoholism, divorce, career-changes, etc.

Now I am on proper medication and don't need as much adrenaline to help keep me sane. .. either that or I have passed my 60th birthday and start to understand my mortality.

Back in 98 While stationed at Fort Bragg I made my segue from rounds to squares. I was afforded the opportunity via a sport parachute club, one of two at that time ON POST. The 82ND Freefall club and The Green Beret Club. Both offered to active duty and family. The 82ND club was ran by former Golden Knights. 

It was AMAZING! Club dues were cheap and gear rental was 25.00 for ALL weekend. All brand new rigs, very well maintained and serviced. This naturally freed up all that cash to rapidly gain my A license and get a lot of jumps. 

I bring this to light because these clubs no longer exist. THAT in it self is a crime. Here we have a PROVEN outlet for soldiers that is a game changer/life saver and yet here we are. It's heartbreaking to say the least. we all know about the number 22 right? Those under the rocks, that's the DAILY average suicide by military personnel these days. 

Ever thought about spearheading a worthy cause? This ones it.     

On 8/24/2020 at 8:32 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

Try searching "Freedom Freefall" and "HOOAH" (Helping Out Our American Heroes).

They just had the annual event recently (Aug 15th).

Maybe not the specific individual you want, but the same story is told a bunch of times.

Ever heard of putting a bandaid on a tourniquet wound? Not trying to take away any glory for an event that does some good, however, it's clearly not enough. 

7 hours ago, timski said:

Ever heard of putting a bandaid on a tourniquet wound? Not trying to take away any glory for an event that does some good, however, it's clearly not enough. 

The OP asked about a video.

I honestly have no clue if the video he was looking for was from Freedom Freefall or not, but is sounded like it could be one. 

At risk of sending this off to SC, it's the government that takes these kids, sends them off to do it's bidding, then throws them away.
They are the ones who should be tending to the 'tourniquet wound' that is the Veteran Suicide issue.

But, as is normal throughout history, they ignore the needs of those veterans, despite pretending to honor them.

• Like 1