nigel99

Australian media law

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/thewest.com.au/technology/google/google-warns-australians-against-new-media-law-in-open-letter-ng-b881640853z.amp

From yesterday Google had a warning symbol and link to an article warning about the proposed change in the law. I don’t know what is driving the change perhaps trying to combat fake news?

6 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/thewest.com.au/technology/google/google-warns-australians-against-new-media-law-in-open-letter-ng-b881640853z.amp

From yesterday Google had a warning symbol and link to an article warning about the proposed change in the law. I don’t know what is driving the change perhaps trying to combat fake news?

Nothing at all to do with fake news. Everything to do with forcing services that post links to news articles as part of their business model to sell advertising to share some of the cash with the news providers. Another attempt to do something about the current model that is forcing news providers to lay off reporters.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

Nothing at all to do with fake news. Everything to do with forcing services that post links to news articles as part of their business model to sell advertising to share some of the cash with the news providers. Another attempt to do something about the current model that is forcing news providers to lay off reporters.

Yes If the International Confederation of Music Publishers  can protect music from unfair use and duplication so should journalists. Who investigate, publish and inform in the face of fake news and Facebook false dialogue.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Fuck yes.

I've been wishing for a law that forces media outlets to rename 'news' shows to 'opinion' shows if all they do is have pundits talking about journalism that other sources have gathered, and an independent body that licenses vets journalists and news outlets.

If you have people gathering information from first hand sources, report that information in a factual but unbiased way, and can cite the sources that's news. If you're talking about what you think that news means you're in an 'opinion' segment of the show.

On 8/18/2020 at 4:47 PM, yoink said:

I've been wishing for a law that forces media outlets to rename 'news' shows to 'opinion' shows if all they do is have pundits talking about journalism that other sources have gathered, and an independent body that licenses vets journalists and news outlets.

If you have people gathering information from first hand sources, report that information in a factual but unbiased way, and can cite the sources that's news. If you're talking about what you think that news means you're in an 'opinion' segment of the show.

You'd put MSNBC out of business (and I would be delighted), but unfortunately, what you propose flies in the face of that pesky First Amendment. "It's difficult to have a marketplace of ideas when all the stores stock the same brand." - Mallard Fillmore

1 hour ago, markharju said:

You'd put MSNBC out of business (and I would be delighted), but unfortunately, what you propose flies in the face of that pesky First Amendment. "It's difficult to have a marketplace of ideas when all the stores stock the same brand." - Mallard Fillmore

Mallard Fillmore - a duck?  Related to Billvon, no doubt.

2 hours ago, markharju said:

Ya, I'm with you and that Mallard the Duck guy. It is not the fault of the various medias that people choose poor sources of information.The law needs to be very light handed because it will inevitably be abused and used for even more censorship than we already have.

13 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Ya, I'm with you and that Mallard the Duck guy. It is not the fault of the various medias that people choose poor sources of information.The law needs to be very light handed because it will inevitably be abused and used for even more censorship than we already have.

Are you saying you have censorship in Canada?

(edited)
5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Are you saying you have censorship in Canada?

Yes we do. Hate speech for instance. And personally I am just fine with it.

Edited to add: Ironic this "question" comes up on the day your government asks the Supreme Court to allow it to censor critics.

Edited by SkyDekker

12 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

And what is worse is that they actually believe it.  :`(

Jerry Baumchen

One of the things I dislike about Australia is that we are a nanny state. As a general rule Aussie’s accept far more restrictions than other places I’ve lived

2 hours ago, nigel99 said:

One of the things I dislike about Australia is that we are a nanny state. As a general rule Aussie’s accept far more restrictions than other places I’ve lived

You should try Virginia.

On 8/20/2020 at 2:24 PM, SkyDekker said:

Yes we do. Hate speech for instance. And personally I am just fine with it.

Edited to add: Ironic this "question" comes up on the day your government asks the Supreme Court to allow it to censor critics.

That question was for another poster.