jlmiracle

USPA wants to increase your dues

They will be voting on this in a couple weeks.

Why do we need the increase? Is it to cover the increase in per diem they gave themselves last meeting? Does someone want a raise?

From the winter meeting: Postponed to vote on at summer BOD meeting: Move to increase USPA membership dues to the following amounts:
Domestic NEW member: $79.00
Domestic Renewal: $69.00
Foreign NEW: $99.00
Foreign Renewal: $89.00
Also increase member A, B, C and D license fees to $40.00
Effective date of these increases to be 1-1-18.”

I don't see anything in the winter BOD Minutes that would justify such an increase.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

betzilla

considering that the dues have been the same since I joined in 1998, it doesn't seem that big an increase, to me.

Indeed. For a domestic new membership, accounting for inflation since 1998, the price in 2017 should be $97.59 (http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/). I wouldn't complain too much if I was an USPA member (I am not)

Hooknswoop

If they were a bit more efficient with the magazine, it'd probably help. We don't need two copies every month at our house, for example. Frankly, we don't even need one… .

Check the box......

Derek V

Sure, but there's no incentive to do so right now. Discount the dues for people who don't want the mag, and i'll check the box.
cavete terrae.

billvon

Sure, but there's no incentive to do so right now. Discount the dues for people who don't want the mag, and i'll check the box.

OK, so you don't care if you get the magazine or not. Sounds like a non-issue then.

His point was that sending two copies to the same place is waste. And I know why they do it, to increase circulation numbers.

But it is waste, hard to claim we need more money when we waste money
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

billvon

OK, so you don't care if you get the magazine or not. Sounds like a non-issue then.

A few years ago, I lived in a house with about ten members living in it. Parachutist mag was more common than dirty dishes! I mean it was everywhere in the house with multiple uses from leveling tables to a stack used as a footstool. The original purpose of the magazine was to inform the members of official business and current events. That purpose has long been surpassed by email and the web, far more current and easier to access.

I'm not surprised dues are going up, like taxes, they never go down. I just wonder if Group Membership rates are going up the same percentage. That would only seem fair.

Jump more, post less!

topdocker

I'm not surprised dues are going up, like taxes, they never go down.

BPA dues went down for the 2016-2017 membership year (although our rates are usually pegged to inflation). There was no increase this year either.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

No, I won't "get over it". Why do you have to be that way?

I wouldn't mind paying a little more if I knew what I was getting for it. But they are all hush hush again. Why isn't GM going up?

What does the individual member get for this?

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

22 BoD Members (14RD, 8ND). 3 Meetings a year. At least... $1k per person to mobilize them to the meetings (not counting staff). Figure $100-120k / meeting.

Magazine... Probably could safe publishing monies by going electronic.

Last election I advocated for showing a breakdown of monies in terms of percentages per dollar spent vs cost of membership. I think this would show where to cut expenses or why to justify such increase.

In my simple mind, I dont see where the money is going; and I dont have a choice but to accept blindly the proposal to increase membership renewal fee by 25%?

Yes, inflation increases. But so does unnecessary spending.

Also... They should add names behind each vote, so that people can see how directors are voting... for the record.
i keep minimum information on my profile. email is my communication preference.

kallend

> USPA wants to increase your dues

Yes, inflation does that. Get over it.

Inflation is low, and the organization has made a strategic decision not to more regularly adjust for it.

Last year they appeared to be managing just fine with the current membership fee. The 2% annual inflation through May must have pushed them right into the brink.

It isn't unreasonable to expect for them to make a clear explanation of why an increase of fees are justified, and how that additional money will be used.

Simply chalking it up to inflation is downright lazy.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Simply chalking it up to inflation is downright lazy.

This..... It is lazy and unless they can give a reason for it, I want to know why they need more money. Are they giving it away due to lawsuits? Are they providing sponsorship? Are they doing coke off of hookers in Vegas at the BOD meeting?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

>His point was that sending two copies to the same place is waste.

You get a magazine with your dues. If you don't want it you have to say so.

Imagine if Amazon did this. "Well, there are two people living in your house and you both ordered ipads. So we only sent one; why would you need two?"

>But it is waste, hard to claim we need more money when we waste money

You can claim whatever you want. But the facts are that you are entitled to a magazine when you pay for your subscription.

And BTW I guarantee you that if USPA started not sending magazines to people they thought lived together, you'd have a dozen people saying "THIEVES! USPA is taking our money and STEALING our magazines! It's pathetic. Besides, we don't even live together any more."

You get a magazine with your dues. If you don't want it you have to say so.

Great make that option easy and don't bother trying to raise rates!

Imagine if Amazon did this. "Well, there are two people living in your house and you both ordered ipads. So we only sent one; why would you need two?"

Ipads != to a magazine... Nice try however. Also, Amazon is not a membership organization, they are a retailer.

You can claim whatever you want. But the facts are that you are entitled to a magazine when you pay for your subscription.

I am also entitled to representation, but it seems the USPA is more interested in being part of the PIA, than support basic individual members.

The FACT is that before you raise rates on a MEMBERSHIP group you need to clearly state WHY you want to raise them, not just vote yourself more per diem with your buddies.

They have failed to communicate WHY they need to raise rates... If they just had some method to communicate to the members, you know like a MAGAZINE?

And BTW I guarantee you that if USPA started not sending magazines to people they thought lived together, you'd have a dozen people saying "THIEVES! USPA is taking our money and STEALING our magazines! It's pathetic. Besides, we don't even live together any more."

If they picked poorly, yep. If one of my magazines stopped showing up, I would be trowing away only half of the ones I don't read now!

Think about how green that would be! Save the World!!!!

The point still stands, the BOD should have to communicate why they want a dues increase for a membership organization... They, clearly, have not done that.

You should get involved with USPA. I'll bet if you did you would have a firm grasp on what the budget is and why they want an increase. But since you don't know you'll just have to content yourself with whining and bitching about how unfair it is. I'll bet you didn't even vote last time around.

How much money do you want them to spend on communicating with you? Read the minutes of the meetings and you will know. Or drop your membership. Or whatever.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I read the magazine cover to cover every month. So do most of the skydivers I know.
My Dad used to ask me if someone jumped off a bridge would I do that too? No, but if they jumped out of an airplane, that's a different question...