2 2
hapon

Odyssey EVO vs Katana

Hi all,

I'm looking to downsize from my Katana 135 to smaller size, first idea was to go Katana again, but after noticed that this platform wasn't improve for years , I found Odyssey EVO as an alternative , I'm looking for your opinions about Odyssey EVO compare to Katana, strictly for improving swooping skills.

I haven't flew the Odyssey EVO, and I have just a few jumps on Katanas, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Just judging by planform design, top-skin smoothness and miniribs, I would say that the Odyssey is a much better/modern/efficient design. It will probably carry you longer on your swoop, for a given airspeed. It will also probably behave better on rears and have better slow flight characteristics. Openings, judging on videos, are also good.

But there is more to a canopy than that. I really have no idea what is its behaviour in turbulence, its "ground-hungriness", recovery arc, etc. Also the resale value.

@hapon what did you end up in choosing, the Katana is a great wing still to this day if your focus is on swooping and canopy piloting but demands a lot of respect.

also, from what i have been told, moving from a Katana 135 to a 120 is quite step up in performance.

Need more info to answer. “Swooping” is a broad term these days. Short answer is Ody EVO. The wing loves to be loaded though, I’m flying 1.8 and it’s arguably it’s starting range. Katana will dive more (probably) due to steeper trim, but EVO is a another generation, dives are super consistent and (again, an assumption) will carry the energy better and longer due to a number of innovative design elements. 

Katana is an old engineering. There are number of modern canopies: Crossfire3, Czech Raptor, USA Fluid Wings Gangter, Russian Rave, Ukranian Odyssey Evo. I think Evo has a number of advantages if we take into account price and proximity of production. Performance and flying characteristics are outstanding compared to competitors.

1 hour ago, Bamboozzzle said:

Katana is an old engineering. There are number of modern canopies: Crossfire3, Czech Raptor, USA Fluid Wings Gangter, Russian Rave, Ukranian Odyssey Evo. I think Evo has a number of advantages if we take into account price and proximity of production. Performance and flying characteristics are outstanding compared to competitors.

I love my Katana. I'm looking at FW Gangster but according to FW's infographic they recommend loading at least 1.5 psf, so I guess have another Katana or two before then.