1 1
normiss

Trump rape accusation.

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

That's possible.  I'm not spending the time to back check.

You're not spending the time to check something you know will show you to be a right wing hypocrite? I'm stunned.

So where was the judgement that let you convict Biden?

9 hours ago, kallend said:

Lame.

A simple "mea culpa" would have sufficed, and not emphasized your hypocrisy.

Some people are best ignored. When there was a cry for Rush to be banned I disagreed. I like diversity and not an echo chamber, it is nice having posters where I disagree with their world views, because it challenges my views and gives me a different perspective. For the most part the posters who have different viewpoints have the backbone and conviction to consistently defend their viewpoint.

However there is at least one poster here, where their sole objective is to troll. They add no value whatsoever and are brazenly open about it. I think their behaviour detracts from quality discussions and the overall “user experience” in speakers corner. I’ve come to the opinion that continued blatant trolling should ideally result in a permanent ban.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I already said I wasn't going to look for it - feel free.

Wrong again. You said you weren’t going to look up whether you said it. 
Since you did say it, the question stands, what was the judgement that let you convict Biden?

Or do you feel you are exempt from the standards you demand of others? 

53 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

Some people are best ignored. When there was a cry for Rush to be banned I disagreed. I like diversity and not an echo chamber, it is nice having posters where I disagree with their world views, because it challenges my views and gives me a different perspective. For the most part the posters who have different viewpoints have the backbone and conviction to consistently defend their viewpoint.

However there is at least one poster here, where their sole objective is to troll. They add no value whatsoever and are brazenly open about it. I think their behaviour detracts from quality discussions and the overall “user experience” in speakers corner. I’ve come to the opinion that continued blatant trolling should ideally result in a permanent ban.

Hi Nigel,

I absolutely agree.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, nigel99 said:

Man - you shouldn't talk about that science guy like that.

I think he has more to say.

1 hour ago, nigel99 said:

It used to.

4 hours ago, nigel99 said:

Some people are best ignored. . . . However there is at least one poster here, where their sole objective is to troll. They add no value whatsoever and are brazenly open about it.

Yep - and as Wendy mentioned, we have a function for people like that.

I think their behaviour detracts from quality discussions and the overall “user experience” in speakers corner. I’ve come to the opinion that continued blatant trolling should ideally result in a permanent ban.

We've done that in the past, but I think the ignore functionality takes care of that now.  If everyone ignores him, eventually he tires of posting and not getting the reaction he desires, and moves on to a new forum where he can still get a rise out of people.

3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

The guy who really pisses you off but doesn’t actually attack is exactly who the ignore button is made for. 
Wendy P. 

Except the ignore function is lacking. You will still see their comments and personal attacks when someone quotes their comments. Can we lose the quote function????

9 hours ago, normiss said:

Except the ignore function is lacking. You will still see their comments and personal attacks when someone quotes their comments. Can we lose the quote function????

Consider it a sign of your superiority to the people who responded, and keep moving.

Wendy P.

46 minutes ago, normiss said:

Consider it a sign of your superiority to the people who responded, and keep moving.

Wendy P.

46 minutes ago, normiss said:

Umm. Wow. OK then.

Or, you could block anyone who ever quotes the person you have blocked. But it could get lonely pretty fast. Personally, I just shake my head when people engage with the trolls.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Or, you could block anyone who ever quotes the person you have blocked. But it could get lonely pretty fast. Personally, I just shake my head when people engage with the trolls.

Agreed. I just think the ignore function could use some tweaking.

I don't consider myself "superior" to anyone. That just struck me as flipping weird, rude, and a very odd thing to say.

Trolls here get away with more than the majority of social media platforms. It really defeats the effort to have discussions sometimes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, normiss said:

Agreed. I just think the ignore function could use some tweaking.

I don't consider myself "superior" to anyone. That just struck me as flipping weird, rude, and a very odd thing to say.

Trolls here get away with more than the majority of social media platforms. It really defeats the effort to have discussions sometimes.

I’m really struggling with all of this. I don’t envy the mods at all. Where does the line between sheer stupidity and trolling lie? Is Trump a troll or stupid as an example?

The quality of discussion is suffering. It appears that most threads within a few posts get trolled, followed by a few tenacious posters who are intent on getting the troll(s) to own their posts, which has proven entirely pointless. Followed up by “don’t feed the trolls” posts and quite often then by a few of us complaining about the trolls.

Nobody has a gun to my head to stay on this forum. I’ve always enjoyed the “genuine” speakers corner content, and whether it is butting heads over religion, politics or guns However the signal to noise ratio is deteriorating:(

(edited)

Sorry, I was trying to be flippant, and I apologize that it came off wrong. The decision on the blocking is way above my pay grade. I see the direct blocking as valuable; yes, people who don't block sorta-trolls do start long back-and-forths. I really don't see anyone here as a pure troll, but some definitely go through trolling phases.

The problem is that blocking can have two modes -- the minimal block (which is what we have), and the maximal block. And with the maximal one, then you really don't know what you're missing -- someone who participated in a thread may have had some tangent that would be great to deviate the thread, or even start something new. I'm all over doing the minimum with filtering software, at least when it comes to ideas. That's a personal view, and has no impact whatsoever on dz.com

But this is all personal viewpoint. Some posters are irritating, but there's no guarantee that I'll find every conversation interesting.

Wendy P.

Edited by wmw999

11 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Sorry, I was trying to be flippant, and I apologize that it came off wrong.

If that's the standard I'm thinking we have a near endless supply of Mod material on SC :) Seriously, no Mod apologies required. We all know that any other choice would be vastly worse from a quality perspective. Of course if hilarity were the prime consideration, and I wish it were, several outstanding choices come straight to mind. 

Normiss had it coming. If not for this then for something. That goes for all of us, except Coreece. The thing is, to be truly effective you need to deal out woe to the innocent and those you like. The guilty, and the soon to be guilty, don't give a crap. They see the demerit box like a marble bag: the fuller the better. But when the innocent get hammered folks notice and get that "there go I" thing happening deep in the recesses and the machine keeps chugging along. That's critical work. After all, where else could we go and know that on any given day we could use ad nauseam and stultifying in the same sentence?

53 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

But this is all personal viewpoint. Some posters are irritating, but there's no guarantee that I'll find every conversation interesting.

I agree with the current system. It does enough to lower my irritation level. Brief quotes from trolls being answered is really a small price to pay, and sometimes the answers the trolls get are entertaining in themselves. I don't need for their existence to be completely denied. And when one of them is quoted and it is clear that they have answered something I have posted but I did not see their drivel of an answer it is pure gold for me.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Sorry, I was trying to be flippant, and I apologize that it came off wrong. The decision on the blocking is way above my pay grade. I see the direct blocking as valuable; yes, people who don't block sorta-trolls do start long back-and-forths. I really don't see anyone here as a pure troll, but some definitely go through trolling phases.

Perhaps some don't recognize that "Sealioning" is indeed trolling, even if it is somewhat subtle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Perhaps some don't recognize that "Sealioning" is indeed trolling, even if it is somewhat subtle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

From article:

"Sealioning is a type of trolling or harassment which consists of pursuing people with persistent requests for evidence or repeated questions, while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity. It may take the form of "incessant, bad-faith invitations to engage in debate"

We see this often in a religious context - and tho Brent doesn't particularly seem to be the religious type, I think that's what motivated him to turn it around on the AGW alarmist types.