peek

Need input from USPA members, Parachutist article

billvon

> And I also told my directors if you are going to include tunnel, then you need to
>include base, paragliders and parasailing for that matter.

That makes no sense. If we include freestyle with skydiving, does that mean we have to include gymnastics?

I don't see any reason for USPA to "take over" tunnel flying. I also don't see any reason for USPA to not get involved with the aspects of tunnel flying that cross over into skydiving.

I see cross over in base, paragliders and parasailing where you do not. I do not see where freestyle skydiving and gymnastics cross over? Does that mean we should have dirt diving competitions too then. Where does it end?
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

> I do not see where freestyle skydiving and gymnastics cross over?

Both involve aerial gymnastics (as does tunnel flying.) Indeed, one of the first modern freestylists (Dale Stuart) started as a gymnast.

>Does that mean we should have dirt diving competitions too then. Where does it end?

Exactly. Which is why "if they allow X they have to allow Y!" is a silly argument.

http://uspa.org/News-Events/News/View-Article/Article/2325/USPA-Summer-Board-Meeting-Concludes

Beginning November 1, USPA will no longer be involved in indoor skydiving by supporting indoor skydiving national championships or selecting U.S. Teams for international indoor skydiving competitions. USPA will seek to cooperate with any emerging national governing body for tunnel flying.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

The sports (skydiving and tunnel) are related IMHO but different but I feel the skydiving culture is very integral in the tunnels because almost all the instructors/coaches I have had are skydivers.

It is strange but I feel a part of the skydiving culture even though I have never experienced it a skydive. I believe I feel a part of the skydive culture because I like all the skydivers I've met over the last few years and now worry about them doing something I haven't experienced personally so as to have a valid opinion either way.

I do believe any formal linking of management of the two activities has much to do with not only $$$/business aspects but also the cultural linkage due to many of those in both type businesses are also culturally tied to skydiving for many years.

Just wrote quite a bit with no conclusion - undecided I guess. ;)