1 1
JoeWeber

Thighland?

President Trump pronounces Thailand as "thighland"

Before he was president, back in June 2016, Trump said during a rally in Atlanta, Georgia that the country of Belgium is "a beautiful city."

Once again, before he was the president, Trump was claiming that Paris, the capital city of France, wasn't in France at all but was a city in Germany, when complaining about a shooting in a Paris police station.

During a November 2018 White House meeting with the respective presidents of Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania, the three countries that comprise the Baltics, Trump got confused at called them 'the Balkans' instead.

Of all the countries in the world, you would think that Trump would know where Mexico was as he's practically obsessed with it.

During a rally in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in October 2019, Trump said that "we're building a wall in Colorado," which is a US state a few hundred miles north of Mexico.

Donald Trump mispronounced Thailand as ‘Thighland’ during a sweat-soaked speech about washing machines. Speaking at a Whirlpool factory at Clyde in Ohio on Thursday, the President of the United States said: ‘Four five years ago this place was a disaster.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/06/donald-trump-calls-thailand-thighland-speech-about-washing-machines-13095526/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Donald Trump mispronounced Thailand as ‘Thighland’ during a sweat-soaked speech about washing machines. Speaking at a Whirlpool factory at Clyde in Ohio on Thursday, the President of the United States said: ‘Four five years ago this place was a disaster.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/06/donald-trump-calls-thailand-thighland-speech-about-washing-machines-13095526/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

At this point it might be better to do one thread for all of his geography gaffes.  Just last week it was Yo Semite.  If you don't know how Yosemite is spelled, and you see this for the first time, okay -- I can see the potential for the mispronunciation. I didn't know how to pronounce it at first, either -- but I was 12 years old and figured it out in about 30 seconds.  This is supposed to be the leader of a superpower, and he can't read. 

He would never, ever, admit to dyslexia. But I'd bet he's dyslexic anyway. It would explain a lot, including the "boil it down to a single slide" approach.

That doesn't do away with the megalomanic approach to stuff, his "foreign affairs" approach, his border "policy" or anything else. But it detracts from real issues to focus on fairly specious ones -- just as it does in the case of Biden, who's also prone to verbal gaffes.

Wendy P.

59 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

He would never, ever, admit to dyslexia. But I'd bet he's dyslexic anyway. It would explain a lot, including the "boil it down to a single slide" approach.

I would put money on it.

Back in 2016 Samantha Bee even did a show which compiled evidence that he was illiterate.  She interviewed a bunch of people who had worked with Trump, and video from a deposition where he couldn't read a document. Having already read an article from Tony Schwartz who mentioned he had never seen a book in any of Trump's offices, that made sense.

I was quite surprised when it later became apparent that Trump could actually use a teleprompter. Then it later occurred to me that dyslexia could explain everything.

i read somewhere that biden has a stutter (not that one, but folks like a source since searching for things yourself has become such a chore) and that explains his gaffes.  it seems we need to be nice to them both.  i almost typed that whole sentence out without smiling, but then i laughed out loud.  agent orange can rot in hell for his treasonous actions, dyslexic or not.  i reserve the right to make fun of the idiot who couldn't seem to get help for his dyslexia, even with a fortune at his disposal.  no, especially with a fortune to throw at it.  if he were not so narcissistic, he could have gotten the help he needed between the time of announcing his candidacy and the election.  no, i have no sympathy at all for those who refuse to see a problem and don't ask for help.  it also explains a lot of his attitude toward certain groups of people, since his narcissism would seemingly call for him to make fun of others to draw attention away from himself rather than try to fix the problem.  but that is putting a name to it, and i am not a doctor, so will refrain from all of that and continue to wish the bastard the worst possible outcome in his quest.

8 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

And dyslexia is an unasked-for disability in the same way that a lame leg is. Off the table for making fun of, in my book.

Wendy P.

True. But it should be a strong disqualifier for being President.

The 'need to read' is paramount.

SInce he couldn't read, he couldn't read the intelligence report about Russia paying bounties for dead troops.
He couldn't read about the coronavirus. 
Or anything else.

And, while I agree with not making fun of a disability in general, the way Trump has acted in the past kind of removes any compassion I have for him. 
If he wanted to be treated nicely, he should have thought of that a loooooong time ago. 

Sort of in the 'if you can dish it out, don't bitch about being made to take it' category.

Oh, I can agree with what Wolfriverjoe said, too. It would be a pretty big disqualifier in my book, unless addressed up-front with a plan (e.g. "here's my briefing team, and how they check and balance each other")

Wendy P.

9 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

True. But it should be a strong disqualifier for being President.

The 'need to read' is paramount.

SInce he couldn't read, he couldn't read the intelligence report about Russia paying bounties for dead troops.
He couldn't read about the coronavirus. 
Or anything else.

And, while I agree with not making fun of a disability in general, the way Trump has acted in the past kind of removes any compassion I have for him. 
If he wanted to be treated nicely, he should have thought of that a loooooong time ago. 

Sort of in the 'if you can dish it out, don't bitch about being made to take it' category.

Hi Joe,

Re:  'while I agree with not making fun of a disability in general, the way Trump has acted in the past kind of removes any compassion I have for him.'

I agree.  And we should not forget how he has disparaged Gold Star families, wounded warriors, pilots who have been shot down & spent time in prison being tortured, and on and on.  It is a very long list.

Give him what he gives out.

Jerry Baumchen

His grifters are working some phenomenal overtime on this one. Classic hack Dinesh D'Souza has spent literally the last 24 hours insisting that Thighland is the correct pronunciation in more "classicaly" English speaking countries like England and Australia, even in the face of literally thousands of people telling him he's straight up full of shit and literally no one does that:

23 minutes ago, jakee said:

Lol, what a pointless douchebag. I can 100% confirm that English speakers in England, the land of English, do not say Thighland.

I dunno man, just the other day I got on Ubereats and searched for my local Thigh restaurants, I was pretty keen for some Pad Thigh lemme tell ya.

37 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

I dunno man, just the other day I got on Ubereats and searched for my local Thigh restaurants, I was pretty keen for some Pad Thigh lemme tell ya.

For many years I have enjoyed grilled chicken thighs smothered in mae ploy Thai sweet chili sauce. It took Trump to show me what fitting choice that was. Like Mitch Hedberg observed regarding a fork lift lifting a pallet of forks. So damn literal.

53 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

Tell a Portland Uber driver you want to go to a Thigh Restaurant and just stand by.

5 hours ago, airdvr said:

So does Joe...but really, with so many DJT targets why this one?  Bush2 was a pro at misunderestimating.  No need to go there.

In all seriousness, I don't actually much give a shit about Trump's mispronunciation - it's not the first time (by him or other presidents/candidates), it's probably not even the worst he's done, and it's pretty easily explainable by his demonstrated issues with reading in general.

My horror/bemusement was with his sycophants - actual, professional, adult type people - boldly claiming over and over that this was the real way to say it and that everyone who's been saying Tie-land were just uncultured plebs. I think it might be the most cultish behaviour I've seen yet.

• Like 1