1 1
turtlespeed

Beirut - Explosion - Many Killed

8 hours ago, jakee said:

Yeah, but only because it’s Beirut. Warehouses catch fire and chemical factories and refineries explode all over the world with reasonable frequency and no one wonders about terrorism. 

I disagree.  Almost everyone would at least not immediately rule out terrorism with almost any large explosion these days.

Maybe not in Rural Alabama, but any city center.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

I disagree.  Almost everyone would at least not immediately rule out terrorism with almost any large explosion these days.

Maybe not in Rural Alabama, but any city center.

However, the President of the United States of America should be sure his mouth and brain are communicating and be sure of his facts BEFORE opening his mouth or Twitting.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, kallend said:

However, the President of the United States of America should be sure his mouth and brain are communicating and be sure of his facts BEFORE opening his mouth or Twitting.

I don't disagree - 

You always assume I do though.¬¬

Edited by turtlespeed

(edited)
13 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

You have to wonder if the first explosion was deliberately done to CAUSE the other. 

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Almost everyone would at least not immediately rule out terrorism with almost any large explosion these days.

But at this point no terrorist org has made a claim of responsibility, not even a fake one. 

Edited by Coreece

2 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:
49 minutes ago, Coreece said:

But at this point no terrorist org has made a claim of responsibility, not even a fake one. 

I know that.

So, but "what"?

Are you saying "but" because you believe I am somehow claiming it is terrorism?

Nah, I'm just saying.  My initial response was to Mr. Blevins and just edited it to add your quote about terrorism.  Didn't mean anything by it.

2 hours ago, jakee said:

How many city centres have massive chemical warehouses in them?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/06/large-ammonium-nitrate-stores-australia-cause-localresidents/

Residents in and around  Newcastle, Australia, have expressed fears about the town’s vast stockpile of ammonium nitrate – which could be almost four times bigger than the amount that exploded in Beirut.

5 minutes ago, ryoder said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/06/large-ammonium-nitrate-stores-australia-cause-localresidents/

Residents in and around  Newcastle, Australia, have expressed fears about the town’s vast stockpile of ammonium nitrate – which could be almost four times bigger than the amount that exploded in Beirut.

And if that blew up would you assume it was terrorism, or a natural consequence of storing vast amounts of unstable explosives for years next to a town centre?

(edited)
4 hours ago, jakee said:

And if that blew up would you assume it was terrorism, or a natural consequence of storing vast amounts of unstable explosives for years next to a town centre?

Just one cotton pickin' minute there Baba Louie . Who did not assume a terrorist act when they first heard of a large explosion in Beirut?

Edited by gowlerk

On 8/6/2020 at 10:19 PM, gowlerk said:

Just one cotton pickin' minute there Baba Louie . Who did not assume a terrorist act when they first heard of a large explosion in Beirut?

If Turtle has a stance, or a belief, Jakee opposes it - logic or no.

It works like that with other posters here too.  

On 8/7/2020 at 3:19 AM, gowlerk said:

In Beirut. That's exactly what I said.

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Lol. Last time you tried that line was when you were saying Trump had given away intel by saying Kim was still alive and I disagreed. Tell me, did you then see any reporting from anyone at all accusing Trump of giving away intel? When it's actually happened in the past the media have been all over him, this time zip. Looks like I was right to defend Trump against your accusation that time, wouldn't you say?

Ultimately you're the guy who's admitted posting against whatever the left says in spite of whether or not you believe it, and assuming that people are doing the same to you is a projection.

(edited)
7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I recall 2-3 posts where you've been right and as such I agreed with you. You should immediately apologize to everyone here.

Edited by Phil1111

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

You are one one of the exceptions.

My statement still stands.

Your head is so strange. First, this is a thread where you decided to disagree with what I said, not the other way around - so at best the point is irrelevant.

Second, think of all the insane things you've posted over the last few years just so you could oppose the left. You spent days and days insisting that what Trump said about treating people with disinfectant and UV was both correct and helpful and days more insisting that the media had lied about what he said when they were reporting on his exact words. That behaviour, among many other examples, makes no sense whatsoever unless you are determined to disagree with the left on every topic, all the time.

• Like 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, jakee said:

Your head is so strange. First, this is a thread where you decided to disagree with what I said, not the other way around - so at best the point is irrelevant.

Second, think of all the insane things you've posted over the last few years just so you could oppose the left. You spent days and days insisting that what Trump said about treating people with disinfectant and UV was both correct and helpful and days more insisting that the media had lied about what he said when they were reporting on his exact words. That behaviour, among many other examples, makes no sense whatsoever unless you are determined to disagree with the left on every topic, all the time.

Then, it's a good thing we should play the ball not the player, right?

Its not about me.  Why do you need to make it personal?

Edited by turtlespeed

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Then, it's a good thing we should play the ball not the player, right?

Its not about me.  Why do you need to make it personal?

There goes your goldfish memory again.

Seriously, less than a day and a handful of posts since you started the personal discussion and you think I did it. You really, really, really need to see a doctor. 

6 minutes ago, jakee said:

There goes your goldfish memory again.

Seriously, less than a day and a handful of posts since you started the personal discussion and you think I did it. You really, really, really need to see a doctor. 

Maybe he can't afford one, living the USA as he does.

Interesting NYT article on the explosion.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/09/09/world/middleeast/beirut-explosion.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200910&instance_id=22057&nl=the-morning&regi_id=118682468&section_index=2&section_name=three_more_big_stories&segment_id=37752&te=1&user_id=94f58d5b96ea75e238c5bfb8bc8f5a2c

From the article:

The disaster-in-waiting was the result of years of neglect and bureaucratic buck-passing by a dysfunctional government that subjugated public safety to the more pressing business of bribery and graft.

Helpful hint - Storing explosive material in the same building with large quantities of fireworks is probably not a good idea.