1 1
JoeWeber

Yo Semites! Untie!

38 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Yes, I don't pretend to fully understand the process, but I understand the basics of ad targeting.

I see a lot of Trump ads in my FB feed too.

I just found it really funny.

You are a truck driver from WI. You are supposed to have a Trump/Pence sticker on the back of your pickup truck.

So...anybody who wants to claim that Biden is in cognitive decline while simultaneously ignoring the many signs that Trump is suffering from frontotemporal dementia needs to do just a wee bit of homework and watch the presser that Biden and Harris did today, and then immediately afterward watch a playback of Trump's presser.  Or switch the order - it doesn't really make a difference.  Fatilities?  Don't give me this "misspoke" excuse either.  He said it twice.  And what's with the slurring?  At best it's like watching a 3rd grader read a book report in front of the class when everyone knows damn well he didn't read the book.  0 days since Trump has been a national embarrassment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yobnoc said:

Fatilities?  Don't give me this "misspoke" excuse either.  He said it twice. 

He was probably thinking fat titties and caught himself.

It's just funny regardless of who it is that's flubbing their lines.  It's like a national pastime ever since Bush - even Obama's long/nurmerous pauses to avoid stumbling were kind of humorous to me.

On 8/11/2020 at 1:18 PM, billvon said:

Personally?  It guides my morality and worldview.  I didn't know anything about how people in sub-Saharan Africa lived, and imagined they were all poor, ignorant people who lived in poverty and misery.  Then I spent a month there and learned they were some of the happiest people around.  When I told them I was a skydiver, one of the kids pantomined an entire RW skydive, including throwing a hand-deploy at the end and releasing the brakes.  They all spoke three languages.

I thought the US was a good influence there.  And I discovered in the cities and larger towns that everyone hated Americans, because they'd come in and steamroller over local businesses, homesteads and farms (often literally) in the name of profit.  "It never their fault" one guy told me, who explained that Americans always blamed their boss, or the shareholders, or the (Niger) government for whatever trouble they caused.

But when you got to the smaller towns, the only Americans people had seen were Peace Corps volunteers.  And they saw Peace Corps volunteers as sometimes misguided, sometimes clueless, but clearly there because they were trying to help.  And thus I was welcomed with open arms.

And that taught me that ultimately it's what you do, not what you say or what you profess to believe, that determines your morality and how you are seen by the world.

I thought I was "woke" and really understood people.  Then I managed a transgender woman and realized that I really didn't understand much of anything, and I never would, since I'm a straight cis middle aged white guy.  But that that was OK as long as I could accept that her point of view was as valid as mine - even if it didn't make sense to me.

I've known people who were great guys, would do anything for you, who turned out to be pedophiles.  I've known miserable people who would curse you and never say a good word about anyone - but years after they were gone, I found out they'd been supporting several families and paying for their kid's college education for no reason other than he thought they deserved a chance.  From that I learned to not judge people so quickly.

True of Barack Obama, too.   (Or as you preferred, Barack HUSSEIN Obama.)  But I bet you don't think that the reaction to his name defines his significance.

Thanks Bill. I wrote a long reply, less thoughtful than yours, that was lost with one of the too many connections things. Ron, please think long and hard over Bill's words. Gotta go. I'm half way up the mast to get a signal and the winds are getting problematic.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 1:18 PM, billvon said:

And that taught me that ultimately it's what you do, not what you say or what you profess to believe, that determines your morality and how you are seen by the world.

Which in fact negates most posters in this forum most of the time. SC does not reflect character. It reflects the ability to play mind games. 

40 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Which in fact negates most posters in this forum most of the time. SC does not reflect character. It reflects the ability to play mind games. 

Politics and the driving values that determine one's political center is not a "mind game". Although I'd concede the spinning of facts, statements and values into positions that are false would be.

2 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

I don't agree with that.

I post what is in my heart and in my mind. I try to post in a thoughtful and reasonably intelligent manner (mostly, anyway).

My posts represent my point of view. I don't post one thing on here and act or believe differently on other platforms or in the 'real world'.

I think that many of the others posting on here are the same, including you.
One of the things that is interesting about this place is that jumpers (both on here and in the 'real world') come from the entire spectrum of the socio-political world. Every position is represented. That isn't something I get on, say a 'car' or 'gun' forum. 

There are a few trolls on here who post just to get a reaction, just to stir shit up.
Those are the ones I don't engage with. 

50 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Thus we have the SC.

Together with tens of thousands of similar groups and forums. Ranging from the largest like Facebook to smaller ones like SC. Where people discuss politics and religion together with other contentious issues. From the days of Plato and even well before that people have gathered to discuss similar issues.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

My posts represent my point of view. I don't post one thing on here and act or believe differently on other platforms or in the 'real world'.

Tho you say that you're not as nice as you thought you were, I doubt you could stand there in the real world and watch someone die of covid as they gasp for breath pleading for help.  I doubt you could say to their face that "You probably thought your Jesus would protect you - and if he doesn't help you now, we're just gonna let you die."

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

There are a few trolls on here who post just to get a reaction, just to stir shit up.

The same can be said for some of your posts, but stating an opposing viewpoint in a provocative manner doesn't mean you're just trying to get a reaction or stir shit up.

(edited)
8 hours ago, Coreece said:

Tho you say that you're not as nice as you thought you were, I doubt you could stand there in the real world and watch someone die of covid as they gasp for breath pleading for help.  I doubt you could say to their face that "You probably thought your Jesus would protect you - and if he doesn't help you now, we're just gonna let you die."

The same can be said for some of your posts, but stating an opposing viewpoint in a provocative manner doesn't mean you're just trying to get a reaction or stir shit up.

You caused be to agree with two of your points and to like your post, too. Uncool.

Edited by wmw999
Attack