1 1
JoeWeber

Yo Semites! Untie!

You are sensing the SHTF.

Regardless, America is never going to be the same.

My thought earlier today, liberal progressives are insecure and lack courage. They look to the government for answers.

Conservatives espouse rugged individualism and are secure. They are going to deal with it.

(edited)
26 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

What instantly came to mind was:

We gotta get out of this place
If it's the last thing we ever do
'cause girl, there's a better life for me and you

I'm not sure where you are coming from. But perhaps Eric would wear this shirt.

2426.jpg

Edited by gowlerk

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

My thought earlier today, liberal progressives are insecure and lack courage. They look to the government for answers.

Exactly.   They demand that the government build massive walls with taxpayer money because they are terrified of the scary brown immigrants.  They want the federal government to send shock troops to cities because they are scared of the rioters.  They want children thrown in cages because they're scary too, and they are probably being used by someone to smuggle drugs or something.  They gas protesters who are demonstrating peacefully because their cowardice leads them to hide behind guns and shields.  They retreat to Georgia mountains and live in heavily armed compounds because they are afraid that "thugs" will come and attack them.

Those are the liberals who do those things, right?

I think the only thing is to apply the same abstract values to everyone. Not situational values (e.g. if Clinton and Trump do something similar, apply the same amount of opprobrium to them, don't justify "your guy"'s behavior while screeching about the other).

Consider the "king Obama" posts of 5-7 years ago, as opposed to the complete silence on the topic when Trump does something equally high-handed. Consider the justification of the blocking of the Merrick Garland nomination, and the likely lack of pushback on a nomination being rammed through if a justice dies before Trump is out of office.

It's the behavior that's bad. You can consider the situation when the person has no other power (e.g. the Freedom Riders of the early 60's were lawbreakers -- they were also right).

Wendy P.

2 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Conservatives espouse rugged individualism and are secure. They are going to deal with it.

Oh Ron you're so wrong. Its the courageous liberals that are protesting in the face of rubber bullets and gas. They take to the streets not afraid of unmarked thugs and unmarked vans. They fight against injustice and  petty kings in the WH. They look not to the government because the government is wrong. They look to core beliefs of justice and equality.

Moms who leave their families to make a difference. Teenagers who don't hide behind guns.

The ones who lack courage hide in the mountains with guns. They support and vote for the state that fails to adhere to its founding documents.

(edited)
1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Damn, you sound angry.  Why are you trying to provoke him?

So you don't see anything in his comments that is trying to provoke liberals, you only see the responses to him as trying to provoke him?

That is you once again showing just how far from the center you actually are, despite what you claim on a regular basis.

Edited by okalb

(edited)
38 minutes ago, okalb said:

So you don't see anything in his comments that are trying to provoke liberals, you only see the responses to him as trying to provoke him?

His was the first response in this thread, and it had nothing to do with what Weber posted.  Just an opportunity to repeat what he has said many times.

For those unaware of the inspiration for this thread:

Edited by headoverheels
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, okalb said:

So you don't see anything in his comments that is trying to provoke liberals, you only see the responses to him as trying to provoke him?

That is you once again showing just how far from the center you actually are, despite what you claim on a regular basis.

Was he talking to me? Angry? There is a big difference between anger and pity. I am never angry at people I pity, that would be wrong.

• Like 1

(edited)
18 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

His was the first response in this thread, and it had nothing to do with what Weber posted.  Just an opportunity to repeat what he has said many times.

What exactly did Weber post?

"Yo" - Common ebonics greeting or attempt to gain attention.

"Semites"  - a group of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs.

So most common interpretation I can see is - "Hey Jews!!" 

Then:  "Untie" -  Assumed on my part to be a juxtaposition of the word Unite - in a dyslexic way - for what purpose I'm not quite sure.

Then the body of the post:

This seems to elucidate the desire to get out of somewhere. 

I don't find Ron's post off topic at all.

Especially from what I understand is his point of view.

ETA: Maybe I should say his focus?

Edited by turtlespeed

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I liked yo seminite even better.  Seminite sounds like a party at a truck stop.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

I liked yo seminite even better.  Seminite sounds like a party at a truck stop.

I think he may have been dementiatized into thinking that a US National Park was named after Jews and probably Arabs, too, when better Confederates were on offer. Look for Border Control troops being deployed shortly.

5 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

What I'm sensing is, as ever, complete and utter nonsense. Were it not for the internet and a command to awaken all skydivers from whomever was God in 1984 you would be of no more consequence than any other old man in the mountains of Georgia hating the world that has long since past him by. Instead you have this portal into the real world and can pretend that you are dispensing important advice to the blind. Of course the truth is that you need us more than we need you. And you know it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

What I'm sensing is, as ever, complete and utter nonsense. Were it not for the internet and a command to awaken all skydivers from whomever was God in 1984 you would be of no more consequence than any other old man in the mountains of Georgia hating the world that has long since past him by. Instead you have this portal into the real world and can pretend that you are dispensing important advice to the blind. Of course the truth is that you need us more than we need you. And you know it. 

Talk about angry old men.

11 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I was essentially agreeing with you. "We gotta get out of this place."

You were/are living on a yacht in the Caribbean. I am living in the mountains.

I believe that we and others are sensing what is coming and it ain't gonna be good.

Part of the comfort of the 50's for many people is that pretty much everyone knew their place. It can be a comfortable feeling, to know what to expect. Just about everyone accepted these largely-unspoken rules.

However, too often, that place in society was defined by someone else. Women knew what they couldn't do, and minorities for damn sure knew (and still know) what they couldn't do. Non-Christians knew it was generally OK, as long as no one had to actually accept them as they were. Homosexuals existed, but they knew that no one with power could ever be confronted with reality.

It's messier now, but a lot more honest.

Wendy P.

• Like 1