shorehambeach

Tom Cruise jumping in the UK filming Mission Impossible

All those pics of the freefall and canopy flight, and the one closest to landing still has him several meters off the ground. Then the "high-5s" at the landing area. Must not have stood up the landing. ;)

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Must real nice having the plane load to yourself and instructors, then when you land stepping out of your rig and leaving it to someone else to pick it up and return with it to the packing area to repack it for you whilst you get a comfy ride back in a 4WD. :P

Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

jono

Must real nice having the plane load to yourself and instructors, then when you land stepping out of your rig and leaving it to someone else to pick it up and return with it to the packing area to repack it for you whilst you get a comfy ride back in a 4WD. :P

Meh - we'd all do that if we could get away with it.

"Rippling: One member of the crew flashed her athletic physique as she walked through the field with her jumpsuit unzipped"

Lols - that's one for Sian to cut out and keep!

For the record, Cruise didn't have the DZ catered. That was the work of Four Stars catering whose owner, Frank, was/is a skydiver. He simply billed Paramount more and fed us quite nicely for about two/three months, Daily. Cruise had nothing to do with it. Cruise kept to himself and most of us never met him.

I'm guessing everyone involved in the HALO jump filming in Abu Dhabi is sworn to secrecy - but does anyone who isn't sworn to secrecy have the lowdown?

In particular, I'm curious to know:
- Whether Henry Cavill also jumped (I think it's unlikely).
- For the final filming, whether Cruise, Cavill and Cruise's cameraman were really alone in the back of the C-17 for that long shot leading up to the exit (also seems unlikely).
- Whether the oxygen bottle and hose worn by Cruise were just dummy props, given that Cavill appears to temporarily disconnect Cruise's hose so that he has to reconnect it before exiting.

Whatever, even based on the trailer and the behind-the-scenes footage, that looks like spectacular work from all involved. :)
Here's the BTS footage I watched - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4OYdWtyClg - it's all fascinating, but the skydiving stuff starts at 22:16.

pnuwin

Tom Cruise skydiving video. Very funny and well done. What fantastic advertising for skydiving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1wsCworwWk

This is the Late Late Show with James Corden / Perris Valley tandem jump video. Very well done. The bit with the creepers was great, and the "big box little box cardboard box" no contact flying plan was hilarious.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

pnuwin

Tom Cruise skydiving video. Very funny and well done. What fantastic advertising for skydiving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1wsCworwWk

Except for the face-plant landing :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Gotta love the helmet setup of the TI.

Also, did Cruise do any kind of tracking after the tandem opened? I don't think the video doesn't show it, but I'm willing to give him te benefit of the doubt.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

>I guess the Bonehead Aero is Halo certified now.

I don't know of any skydiving helmet that is "HALO certified." I have an older military system that uses an overpressure mask with receivers on a pretty standard open face helmet, and it is almost identical to the system that Mullins uses for his 30K jumps. But it is in no way a skydiving helmet that you would use for normal skydiving.

On record attempts that go above 20K there's usually a hodgepodge of systems used, usually a central O2 tank with a manifold that gives each jumper a hose connection point. Some use cannulas, a few use masks. I've gotten used to using a hose in my mouth for bailout O2 and that works pretty well. Up to about 25K bailout O2 isn't really needed, but for something like this (where hypoxia would mean repeating a $50K shoot, and there's a lot of messing about in the airplane before the jump) I have no doubt they used it.

>Or was it modified for the O2.

It was certainly heavily modified to get the lights inside it (so Cruise's face would be visible on camera.) Given that the "oxygen line" was removed on-camera, it is likely a fake, with the "real" line running under the jumpsuit. You can easily get 4 liters per minute down 1/4" OD nylon tube so hiding it isn't hard.