yupitskate

Finished AFF in Feb., now what?

I did my ground school in October then a few jumps a month until February and stopped after my first self-supervised jump (#10) when work/weather/life got in the way. I've put in some tunnel time since then - over an hour now - to help with confidence and belly flying but I still seem to talk myself out of going to the DZ when I actually have the option and ability to go.

The few friends I've made at my DZ have all deployed (mostly military at my home DZ) and I'm not confident enough to exploit myself to some rando and show just how dumb/new I am. Being a girl in a predominantly male sport is also a bit intimidating. Weird, considering I'm usually very outgoing and confident and actually work in a traditionally male-dominated profession!

I understand I'll need to do a recurrency jump before I can move on. From what I can tell it's 6 months of absence before I have to repeat the ground course, right? I'm hoping I'll stop being a little ___ before it gets that far. And I've been so lazy about studying my SIM (I HATE STUDYING) even though I know it's necessary and will ultimately help me.

I'm also looking into traveling to another DZ and just knock out the rest of my A license in a week or two. Is that allowed if I already started at a different DZ?

Thanks for whatever help you can offer, I'll put on my big girl panties eventually!

Check out the A license in a week program at Skydive Spaceland Houston. I would call them and see what discounts they can give for previous jumps.

That is an excellent drop zone and there will be no shortage of people to put you together with people to jump who are at or near your skill level.

Sorry awwsomeerin, you must have misunderstood what I was saying. It's not that I don't want to be safe in a dangerous sport, I'm saying that I have a hard time making the SIM a priority because of my own worries of failing. I don't know about you but the intimidation factor is a big one for me. Thanks for the great advice though!

I am an old experienced skydiver with 1300+ skydives in the 1970's and 80's. What's that got to do with me you ask? :-) Well I am now 61 and getting back into the sport. It was intimidating to me to just walk up to a dropzone after 30 years because I didn't know what to expect, what time had changed, etc. and I am outgoing and have a lot of experience in the sport. That experience helped me strike up conversations and getting people to jump with me. But I am still a newbie to everyone until I prove myself. Just like you.

I ran across some videos by Melanie (Mel) Curtis of http://melaniecurtis.com http://melaniecurtis.com on youtube. I would highly suggest that you look her up and the Sisters In Skydiving (SIS) group that she really supports by setting up events like the CHICKS ROCK Boogies.

She will help you through the hard parts of getting through the social pressures of skydiving. You are right that there are more men than women in the sport. But, honestly, this weekend at Skydive Georgia, there were more women than men most of the day on Thursday and Friday. Very Cool, I thought. So don't give up yet.

Hope this advice from an old guy with two adult daughters will help you get into this "Man Sport" :-)

Please trust me when I tell you that once you get over this little hump, you will find yourself welcomed on about any dropzone in the world because skydivers are mostly all great people and look after one another on the ground as well as in the air.

You don't really need to study the SIM. Look over the recommended sections to study like 2-1 and take notes about specifics like things with numbers. Take the category quizzes and if you are wrong or not really sure in your answer make notes. Now you have condensed a few hundred pages into a couple pages of notes.

As someone with around 50 jumps, I am still the learning newbie. Don't worry about being new. Jumping with people who are better makes you better. They also know you are new and don't expect you to turn a bunch of points or do anything beyond your abilities. I would also ask your instructors about Load Organizers. Load Organizers usually just do it to help out new people and they really enjoy it.

kat00, you are very wrong and shouldn't be giving any advice to anyone! You should read the SIM front to back! Hundreds of people have died for that information in that book! If you don't have time to learn you shouldn't be skydiving. I understand that things can be overwhelming on things you are learning but your instructor can advise you on the reason things in that book are so important! Take your time and learn as much as you can. It can and will save your life!

You should read the SIM front to back!

I disagree with that. I guess I am also wrong and should not be giving advice? I have AFF, SL, and Tandem Instructor ratings that do not agree with you if you think that.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Stusmooth

kat00, you are very wrong and shouldn't be giving any advice to anyone! You should read the SIM front to back! Hundreds of people have died for that information in that book! If you don't have time to learn you shouldn't be skydiving. I understand that things can be overwhelming on things you are learning but your instructor can advise you on the reason things in that book are so important! Take your time and learn as much as you can. It can and will save your life!

Thats why I said read and take notes on 2-1 and section 6. Then if you can't answer category questions take notes on it. You still read but you make note of what you don't know so you whittle down what you really need to study. It's just basic studying.

Yes. You are wrong.

7500+ jumps, 25 years, National records, medals, and three instructor ratings tells me I know more about students and skydiving than you and your 4 years and 260 jumps.... And I'll put a bet on that any day.

Why shouldn't you read the whole SIM?

Because there are plenty of parts that have exactly ZERO impact on students. But please tell the class why a STUDENT should read section 6-9? Or maybe ANYTHING in section 7 (BTW, I have a PRO rating... Do you?)

Because you are too smart? Trial and error? Whatever Mr. Wizard!

No because I actually know what I am taking about... Unlike you it seems.

You should read more and type less.

Oh, I just saw you are from Zhills and have a coach rating.... Tell you what, walk into the Sunshine Factory and tell Dave Ruffle you think you know more about skydiving and students than me. Then maybe walk over to Paragone and do the same with Sally. Maybe ask Paul at the bar if he thinks you or I know more about skydiving.

I will make you a deal... I will meet you at Zhills or Clewiston and you can try to school me in the air... Deal?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

[sarcasm] Yeah, it is really useful for a newbie to read up on the NAA Elder Statesman of Aviation award, or FAA change of address requirements, or ADSB equipment. Or even the D license study guide, Demo jumps, Advanced Canopy Piloting Topics, or Night Canopy Formations. [/sarcasm]

Yes, kat00 was dismissive and inviting pushback when they said "You don't really need to study the SIM."

Still, one needs to prioritize and see what's important at the stage one is at. When they have spare time they can 'read ahead' and get some background on aspects of skydiving that don't concern them right now.

yupitskate

I'm not confident enough to exploit myself to some rando and show just how dumb/new I am.

Then you are missing out on one of the true joys of skydiving. Walking up to some rando, telling them you suck and are new, and asking if they want to jump.

If I am not doing a camp or something that I paid extra for I would definitly jump with you and make sure you know that I expect nothing and I hope you fuck everything up on the jump as most of my jumps go to shit anyway. '

That normally takes any pressure off you and then we will go out and do something easy and awesome and I will only be pissed if you don't have a big smile on your face after you land.

So, yes, go to a different DZ and finish your A license and then go and funnel some formations!;)

PS Put the SIM next to the toilet and you will have read the thing cover to cover within a month.

Trafficdiver

I'm not confident enough to exploit myself to some rando and show just how dumb/new I am.

Then you are missing out on one of the true joys of skydiving. Walking up to some rando, telling them you suck and are new, and asking if they want to jump.

If I am not doing a camp or something that I paid extra for I would definitly jump with you and make sure you know that I expect nothing and I hope you fuck everything up on the jump as most of my jumps go to shit anyway. '

That normally takes any pressure off you and then we will go out and do something easy and awesome and I will only be pissed if you don't have a big smile on your face after you land.

So, yes, go to a different DZ and finish your A license and then go and funnel some formations!;)

PS Put the SIM next to the toilet and you will have read the thing cover to cover within a month.

^This. Big time.

When I was new, there were a few older, experienced jumpers that would always do a jump or two with me. They wouldn't jump with me all day long, but they would rarely say 'no' to at least one (and there would be a reason if they said 'no').

They told me that:

It was fun to jump with the new people. The enjoyment and enthusiasm of the 'new guy' made it more fun

Me not being very good made them have to be better. It was more challenging to jump with me because they had to work harder to make up for my shortcomings.

I made them look better than they actually were.

As I slowly become a "crusty old guy", I am finding out how right they were. As a result, I will almost always include a 'new guy' if they are around and interested.
More than once, I've seen a newer jumper out waiting for the plane, and finding that they were just doing a solo, included them. Two became three, three became four. Obviously, the others I was jumping with were ok with this.
There are a couple very simple, yet challenging jumps that can be dirt dived (dirt dove?) in a matter of minutes and are appropriate for low skill/experience levels.

I sometimes hear 'I'm not sure you want me on the jump, I'm afraid I'll mess it up'. My response is always "You better not mess it up, that's my job."

I did a couple twos and threes over 4th weekend. One was with a very new jumper who didn't have a lot of jumps with other fun jumpers. She was thrilled that we made 3 points. She said that it was the most successful jump she had had so far.
How do you think that made me feel?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Stusmooth

Sure Mr. Wizard! I will gladly meet you!

You do your homework yet and tell all those people that you think you know more than me about skydiving and students?

I'll be in Clewiston this weekend.... Put your money where your ego is.

I see you listed your home dz as Suffolk. There are plenty of coaches and instructors to jump with every weekend if you are trying to finish up your A-license. They are normally pretty helpful to students, so I wouldn't be worried about being new. The weather has been really good lately and you can't finish your A-license if you don't show up to the dz to jump. There are also several girls that jump there fairly regularly as long as we aren't at camps or other skydiving events elsewhere. Come out and jump!

I was at the DZ all weekend.

And still waiting on you to explain why it is a safety issue if a student does not read section 7 of the SIM?

Stusmooth

There was three questions on the C license test that was from Section 7 of the skydiver's information manual Mr. Wizard!

You said for a STUDENT to read the SIM. A person with a 'C' or any license is not a STUDENT, hero. But good try, didn't work, but you tried!

Still waiting for you to explain why a *student* should read section 7.

And I bet you have still not done your homework. I waited at the DZ all weekend and you didn't show..... B|

It's not at all unsual, AFF is very structured, learning with others of the same ability level with (hopefully) a nice instructor to greet you every day. After this you are left to start making your own progress!

Going to a DZ alone is intimidating for anyone, different set up, different people, different landing areas! Be brave and turn up, you will make fun jump buddies. As you progress you will soon jump with other people and then it really feels sociable as you plan jumps and laugh about it afterwards. If you don't feel your DZ is like this then find one that is! Also once fully qualified, don't think your only option is the closest DZ, I travel 3 hours rather than 30 minutes because I like the setup and my friends are there.

You've got this far, you were brave enough to jump so just carry that on to being socially brave a few times. Before you know it you will have 200 jumps like that other guy in the thread and think you know it all :-)

I'm sure for many, jumping is certainly part of the enjoyment, and skill progression / reaching goals - the rest is new friends with the same interest. Our group is booking our second foreign jump holiday (14 of us) and of course one of my good buddies I went into business with :-)
https://s9.postimg.org/3y87vbbr3/email_sig.jpg
www.vertexskysports.com
www.facebook.com/vertexskysports

You do your homework yet? And for a second weekend, you didn't show up to teach me how to skydive. :(

Go do your homework or just man up and show up. Until then, you are just nothing but ego and hot air.

You want to continue this BS, you can PM me. But unless you are PMing me to tell me you will be at the DZ to school me... I have no interest in your empty words.

End of message.

I don't know anything about you except what you just posted and all I say is this...I finished my AFF in 99. I jumped for a short while after that and then life took over. 20+ years later I just finished my 42nd jump and finished my A license. I look back on all the wasted years with sadness and where i could be today if I had just kept with it. Don't let this be you! Figure out whats important!