1 1
iranianjumper

Balloon Jump

(edited)

I'd wait for some of the subject-matter experts like DZOs who post here to fill you in, yet I can speak to general things: specialty jumps like this are usually (but not always) restricted to more experienced jumpers because you'll likely be landing out somewhere (however, that should already have been planned in advance). As far as I know, a hot air balloon is just another aircraft which is subject to pretty much all of the same air traffic and safety rules as fixed wing (see https://uspa.org/SIM/Part91). Be advised that with anything moving slowly (like a helicopter) or not at all (like a balloon), the launch sensations are entirely different in that there is little or no relative wind to act against when exiting. It's a peculiar sensation and can be a bit unnerving if you're not expecting it. Other than that, have fun!

Edited by Guest

Here's a related thread: 

From the looks of it, no concrete requirements from USPA on this (other than the obvious common sense). Not sure where you jump (whether you asked about the US or in general), in Serbia you're required to have a C license for a balloon jump.

Regulations will likely be highly variable depending on the country.

In practical matters, a balloon jump requires a willing balloon pilot and a fair amount of experience by the jumper. If you get scared by the idea of landing off in a field that looks grassy from above, balloon jumps are NOT recommended. Assume you land somewhere that you haven't seen from the ground before, assume the landing field is small, assume there won't be much wind on landing (since balloons only fly in calm conditions).

If none of that scares you, and if you have enough experience to jump and land confidently in whatever field, I can highly recommend balloon jumps. I've made two of them in my 1300 jump career so far, and both easily rank within my top-10 jumps.

I'm from Canada so balloon jumps are not "really" legal. Balloon operators must land with the same number of passengers from take off to landing but in the case of skydivers, it's a little different. When I organize a group, the general rules are:

1. No noob, to prevent injuries
2. No social media photo can be posted
3. Passengers must stay inside the balloon (50% max ratio jumper / passenger)
4. No BASE rig allowed

As IJskonijn said be prepared to land in an unknown location. Pilots are great at spotting good fields though. Bring a second pair of shoes and socks because morning dew will soak them when you help packing the balloon.

I strongly suggest that you know how to pack your parachute to pack yourself after the jump.

I have 3x under my belt and going for number 4 tomorrow. It's awesome, I find it very sketchy when you have to climb on the edge of the basket and it reminds me of my first jump for the fear of letting go. There is no noise, no wind when you're on the edge and for me, it takes a lot of will to let go but once you do,. WOW

(edited)
On 7/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, iranianjumper said:

is there any reference and / or regulation about hot air balloon jump ?

also any recommendation on these jumps is highly appreciated .

Balloon jumps rend to be less regulated in the USA.  I've seen people take BASE rigs on them.

For most balloon jump, the landing area is the problem.  Most balloons will take you to an altitude where you can reach terminal velocity and deploy your parachute (although my first one was from ~4k into null wind, so if you're not okay with pitching at 2.5k, this may not be the jump for you) 

If you are in the Northeast USA, will have to land out, in a clearing that may be tiny.  I've had friends seriously hurt screwing that up - hospitalizations and permanent life changes and all.

If you are in the South California or Arizona Desert, with a flat desert surface for miles, it's less dangerous.

It's not about a number of jumps, balloons don't stay in a place - they drift elsewhere.  Look at the map 10-20 mile radius from where you are going to be jumping.  On the jump - look down.  Do you see anywhere immediately under you that you would want to land?  Be honest.  People get hurt on these.

Edited by lyosha

11 minutes ago, lyosha said:

Balloon jumps rend to be less regulated in the USA.  I've seen people take BASE rigs on them.

That's not because it isn't regulated, it's because people ignore the regulations. If it's a registered aircraft, it requires TSO'd gear.

• Like 1

(edited)
On 7/31/2020 at 5:48 AM, Binary93 said:

Here's a related thread: 

From the looks of it, no concrete requirements from USPA on this (other than the obvious common sense).

That is not true. The SIM states you should have a B license to jump from anything other than an airplane.

Edited by 20kN

They are a blast... But the landing somewhere you have no clue about is a real risk.  On my jump the landing area we had picked from above had a mess of power lines in it that I did not notice until I was beyond being able to choose an ideal secondary landing spot, I wound up in some small trees / large bushes, took a little bit to untangle my canopy from that mess, but it was better than the alternative.

I would absolutely do it again.

22 hours ago, Binary93 said:

Thanks for the correction! Could you please cite where it says so (as I cannot find it)?

On 8/1/2020 at 10:23 PM, 20kN said:

That is not true. The SIM states you should have a B license to jump from anything other than an airplane.

Should have? That would be a recommendation then. Hard rules use words like must. Like others have said, balloon jumps are most often available at desert DZs in the US. Eloy is known to allow a balloon operator access to their facilities regularly. The OP appears to to from or even possibly in Iran. Asking about "regulations" but not stating the jurisdiction make the question difficult.

• Like 2