riggerrob

Washington Red Skins' new name?

On 8/1/2020 at 5:04 PM, turtlespeed said:

It depends on who on the left you ask.

Likely you will get an answer just the opposite.

Sorry everyone for wasting your reading time again.  I once again took Turtle seriously. I should know better.

On 8/1/2020 at 8:04 PM, turtlespeed said:

It depends on who on the left you ask.

Likely you will get an answer just the opposite.

Turtle, that's the key right there, and why the term "the left" is just as stupid as the term "the right."

One could just as easily ask "would members of the right shop at a store that was proudly owned by a white supremacist?" or "would members of the right shop at a store with a confederate flag on top?"

Of course some would, and some wouldn't

Wendy P.

(edited)
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Turtle, that's the key right there, and why the term "the left" is just as stupid as the term "the right."

One could just as easily ask "would members of the right shop at a store that was proudly owned by a white supremacist?" or "would members of the right shop at a store with a confederate flag on top?"

Of course some would, and some wouldn't

Wendy P.

So, it appears that his line of questioning looking for the "Gotcha" moment was as unnecessary to you, as it was me.  Is that true?

Edited by turtlespeed

On 7/31/2020 at 4:29 PM, turtlespeed said:

They aren't, though.  They are bending to the whims of cancel culture.

If they were thinking of their share holders, they should stand up and say they are not changing.  Let the cancel culturists raise a hissy fit, then cash in on the resulting windfall.

There is no evidence to suggest that. They have resisted in the past. They have now decided to move ahead. If they really thought they could make more money not changing their name, they would not change their name.

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

There is no evidence to suggest that. They have resisted in the past. They have now decided to move ahead. If they really thought they could make more money not changing their name, they would not change their name.

I think they are caving in because of the political climate.

4 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

They are changing their name. Because I win and the losers have lost!

This is silly.

I believe in giving credit to inventors.

If Uncle Ben invented a rice recipe, then he deserves to have his name on the label.

If Aunt Jemima invented a pancake recipe, then she deserves to have her face printed on the box.

I do not care about the skin colour of the inventor, because I only care about the taste of the food.

If Jack Hooker invented a new type of seat-belt, then I will refer to them as "Hooker Belts. Transport Canada's sissified, limp-wristed, bureaucratic terminology be damned!

1 hour ago, riggerrob said:

If Uncle Ben invented a rice recipe, then he deserves to have his name on the label.

If Aunt Jemima invented a pancake recipe, then she deserves to have her face printed on the box.

I think the producer of the product gets to decide that.  They are the ones spending the money and taking the risk.  Invention is the easy part.

23 hours ago, riggerrob said:

This is silly.

I do not care about the skin colour of the inventor, because I only care about the taste of the food.

If Jack Hooker invented a new type of seat-belt, then I will refer to them as "Hooker Belts. Transport Canada's sissified, limp-wristed, bureaucratic terminology be damned!

. . . and the name of a virus from coming from China?

On 7/30/2020 at 8:46 PM, Coreece said:
On 7/30/2020 at 7:44 PM, turtlespeed said:

By cancelling things like Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben, and such

It's ridiculous.  I even heard it said that these products invite white people to indulge in the fantasy of enslaved black people. 

Just had some Uncle Ben's (made in Canada)

So this is what it feels like to be a slave owner.  Meh, maybe I need to try the stuff made in the U.S.

IMG_20200815_145038.thumb.jpg.9e032c8400d1c076c4367f5b9a7441e9.jpgIMG_20200815_145049.thumb.jpg.f44956b7520176003732e521565bc0cd.jpg

Hi folks,

Back in the 70's, whenever I was in the Buena Park area of Los Angeles for work, I stayed near a Sambo's Restaurant & ate there many times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo's

The one's here in the Pacific NW were bought out by Vip's Restaurants & then by Denny's Restaurants.

Time's, they are a changin'

https://www.bobdylan.com/songs/times-they-are-changin/

Jerry Baumchen

On 7/27/2020 at 4:27 PM, riggerrob said:

The Washington Red Skins recently announced that are re-naming the team to a more politically-correct term.  ...

I dunno, "Washington" doesn't seem very politically-incorrect to me, even tho he was a white guy. But if they want to change, how about the "District Redskins"?

(edited)

So just to add to my review of Uncle Ben's Beans and Rice up thread.  I was gonna say to make sure you don't have to go out in public before consuming, but it might work well for social distancing.  I mean damn, all day long - even now while writing this post - I sound like that one scene from Blazzing Saddles.

Edited by Coreece
changed bean's to beans

On 8/5/2020 at 1:03 PM, riggerrob said:

This is silly.

If there is anyone here who actually buys and eats Uncle Ben's rice or Aunt Jemima's pancake mix and so feels as strongly about those products as they do their favorite Hooker, or what ever Rob was talking about,  please PM me for counseling at very favorable rates.

17 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

If there is anyone here who actually buys and eats Uncle Ben's rice. . .please PM me for counseling at very favorable rates.

The mother-in-law dropped it off, does that count?  Also, do you have any gas-x?

2 hours ago, Divalent said:

I dunno, "Washington" doesn't seem very politically-incorrect to me, even tho he was a white guy. But if they want to change, how about the "District Redskins"?

"Area sports team" - who could be offended by that?  If you want to go with something more cheer-worthy, "superior area sports team."

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

If there is anyone here who actually buys and eats Uncle Ben's rice or Aunt Jemima's pancake mix and so feels as strongly about those products as they do their favorite Hooker, or what ever Rob was talking about,  please PM me for counseling at very favorable rates.

My wife hates it when I call it "Aunt's Vagina."