mtravenz2017

Line Stows - New Method or No Way Jose

Does anyone have any thoughts on line stows, specifically separating your lines and having left side to the left side of the bag and right side to the rights side in 4inch stows folded over on themselves to make 2 in stows. so essentially the center locking stows are done first then daisy chain to the next locking stow then daisy chain to the outside stows, using all stow points, leaving 20in at the end to put in the bag. picture little bow ties at each stow point. I think this would reduce line twisted and a rocking bag.

The nice thing about going from one side to the other is that the 'pull' on the lines as they unstow is in line with the direction of the bight itself. Your method will have the pull at 90 degrees to the direction of the lines in the stow itself, causing (I'd think) a lot more variable resistance and therefore instability than you'd be solving.

Also, what do you do with all the excess line? if you're not criss crossing the length of the bag 3 - 5 times, but instead just running a line set up the edge, you're going to have a lot of line left over when you run out of room on your bag.

And I'm not sure I like the stows folded over on themselves. Sounds like a good way to get a knot as they deploy.

Have you actually tried this method? Put up a video, maybe?

Be careful, as daisy chains can get locked up more easily than you might think.

I learned that when I used daisy chains to shorten the long bridle on my old parafoil that had a long pilot chute controlled reefing bridle. It locked up and would not go through the grommet on the canopy.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Are you using an actual "daisy chain" knot in the stows? I don't see it.

If you are, stop. While a D/C will unstow itself as it pulls, it hangs up pretty easily. How often do you have to "snap" the lines to pull a D/C knot loose when the entire length of the lines have been daisy chained?

Second, having both sides of the lines stowed together ensures even unstowing. Having them separate takes that away. It would be very, very easy for one side to unstow well ahead of the other. That would not be a good thing.

Last, taking a 4" bight, folding it over and then stowing it is a recipe for knots.

Don't stop thinking. There are likely better ways to do things. Innovation happens through thinking up new ways to do stuff that works now.

But you have to do a very thorough "failure mode" analysis on anything new.

I don't see this idea passing that.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

This is NOT a new idea. I'm trying to remember the exact context and I'm not coming up with it right now. It may even date back to the round days.

But I do remember the general iutcome and concensus was this was a bad idea that died quickly. For a lot of what was said above I wouldn't be the first one to try it.

My guess is you don't know what us old farts mean when we say daisy chain. It's essentially a series of slip knots used to shorten and keep lines neat when picking up canopies, especially round canopies with 20' lines. As said above DO NOT DO THAT.

My guess is that PD has data on doing this. It may even be from them that.I heard about this. And doesn't recommend it.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I wouldnt do that for couple reasons, it looks really sketchy and seems to invite out-of-sequency deployments and secondly because it takes much more time to do than the usual stowing method...

I personally prefer semi-stowless with side to side stowing in the pouch (no 8's)...

Do you encounter a "rocking" D-Bag frequently?
Or linetwists?

Look at regular deployments, even on WS flights and tell me where you see the D-Bag shake around ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggkKO1Ufv9A

Regular skydive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxh6DMMxhOs

So what do you expect to be the benefit?
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

I have quite a bit of experience stowing this way, but with high performance rounds used for research and equipment. Like many people on here have stated, it is way too easy to develop uneven lengths. Also, every time I have seen this method used, loose elastic sleeves are used to hold the bights. When done properly it can make for great on heading opening, but it might take you over half an hour just to stow lines. For mains this is unpractical. The other reason this stow method may be used over another would be bulk distribution. Usually never an issue with sport mains. Great line of thinking, but a time consuming solution to a problem which can easily be corrected with body position and right equipment.

mtravenz2017

I think this would reduce line twisted and a rocking bag.

If you want to reduce line twists get a stowless bag. I made the switch about a year ago and like everyone I know that uses them, I won't go back. Line twists and off-heading openings are pretty much instinct now. The openings are also smoother and more consistent.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX