1 1
airdvr

Hypocrisy of the left

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

Don't get so excited John.  I know you're pumped at some perceived "gotcha" moment but it doesn't exist.  If WaPo was going to point out that Trump's brother had filed suit against his niece they could have easily said Baghdadi was a leader of ISIS.  The mere fact that they retracted the headline proves this.

The weasel is strong in this one.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

I guess her father had no clue that he might want to avoid public places like bars and restaurants.  Wow.

Perhaps he was foolish enough to trust people like Donald Trump. (And you. After all, according to you COVID-19 is just "another overblown mass media bonanza.")

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Probably because people like you have been downplaying the corona-virus from the start. People like you cause other people to die. But, we all know how important a haircut is right.....

Other than at the very beginning please feel free to quote me downplaying the threat.

57 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Other than at the very beginning please feel free to quote me downplaying the threat.

That's the problem.  To your credit, you changed your approach after it became clear how serious COVID was.  Note that I, too, initially thought it wouldn't be as serious as it has become, but I pushed for prevention anyway - just in case.  Because I'd rather have people tell me I overreacted than see what happened if we underreacted.  Which, unfortunately, is exactly what happened.

But that initial wave of "it's a hoax!  It's all media hype!" had its effect, especially on people like this woman's father, who heard something that he wanted to believe so he latched on to it.  And for reassurance, he just turned on the news and listened to Trump tell people it will go away like magic, that a malaria drug will cure it, that you can just inject some kind of disinfectant, that the US is doing really well, that the only reason people think we have a lot of cases is that we foolishly do too much testing.   That has a huge effect - and it absolutely has killed people.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

That's the problem.  To your credit, you changed your approach after it became clear how serious COVID was.  Note that I, too, initially thought it wouldn't be as serious as it has become, but I pushed for prevention anyway - just in case.  Because I'd rather have people tell me I overreacted than see what happened if we underreacted.  Which, unfortunately, is exactly what happened.

But that initial wave of "it's a hoax!  It's all media hype!" had its effect, especially on people like this woman's father, who heard something that he wanted to believe so he latched on to it.  And for reassurance, he just turned on the news and listened to Trump tell people it will go away like magic, that a malaria drug will cure it, that you can just inject some kind of disinfectant, that the US is doing really well, that the only reason people think we have a lot of cases is that we foolishly do too much testing.   That has a huge effect - and it absolutely has killed people.

Hi Bill,

Yup, just shove a litebulb up your ass & you'll be OK.

Jerry Baumchen

Back to the guy who died, it's always easy to see the mistakes we wouldn't have made. Kind of like the fatality reports in skydiving -- none of us would ever do anything like that...

Folks, none of us is bulletproof, and none of us is mistake-proof. Most of us are lucky. We're here, after all.

Wendy P.

Citing threats, Mayor Lori Lightfoot defends ban on protesters on her block: ‘I have a right to make sure that my home is secure’

The directive surfaced in a July email from then-Shakespeare District Cmdr. Melvin Roman to officers under his command. It did not distinguish between the peaceful protesters Lightfoot regularly says she supports and those who might intend to be destructive, but ordered that after a warning is given to demonstrators, “It should be locked down.”

Just another example.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Citing threats, Mayor Lori Lightfoot defends ban on protesters on her block: ‘I have a right to make sure that my home is secure’

The directive surfaced in a July email from then-Shakespeare District Cmdr. Melvin Roman to officers under his command. It did not distinguish between the peaceful protesters Lightfoot regularly says she supports and those who might intend to be destructive, but ordered that after a warning is given to demonstrators, “It should be locked down.”

Just another example.

10 minutes ago, jakee said:

Another? That's pretty much the first one.

Not entirely sure that even counts as 'one'.

Has she encouraged or supported protesters outside the homes of elected officials in other places?

For example, the protesters in St Louis (in the gated private community), or the ones that got arrested outside the home of the TN Atty General.

I disagree with her fairly strongly. 

If someone runs for office, where their decisions affect that many people, they should understand that they might have folks outside their house, singing songs, waving signs and marching around.

But for this to count a 'hypocrisy', I'd need to see some protests that she supported.
Not just 'protests in general', in public places or outside public buildings.
But outside the homes of elected officials.

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

Just another example.

You mean like Trump being protected from demonstrators at the White House fence?  Or more like peaceful protestors being gassed so he could pose outside a church and pretend to be a Christian?

56 minutes ago, kallend said:

You mean like Trump being protected from demonstrators at the White House fence?  Or more like peaceful protestors being gassed so he could pose outside a church and pretend to be a Christian?

That didn't take long.  Can always count on you John,

“While Lori is on national stages talking about how we need to reform police by creating fewer day-to-day interactions between police and citizens, her own city is not allowed to move through the neighborhood or feel the same kind of safety she is claiming to advocate for nationally,” Dean wrote. “As a neighbor, I find protests and actions near her home significantly less disruptive than her response to the protestors, which only aim to keep her from having to listen to the voices of her constituents.”

This isn't about other pols Joe.  It's about her not wanting to be bothered at home.  I think it's particularly hypocritical because of the war zone her city has become.  She's taking valuable resources off the beat for her own protection.

14 minutes ago, airdvr said:

“While Lori is on national stages talking about how we need to reform police by creating fewer day-to-day interactions between police and citizens, her own city is not allowed to move through the neighborhood or feel the same kind of safety she is claiming to advocate for nationally,” Dean wrote. “As a neighbor, I find protests and actions near her home significantly less disruptive than her response to the protestors, which only aim to keep her from having to listen to the voices of her constituents.”

This isn't about other pols Joe.  It's about her not wanting to be bothered at home.  I think it's particularly hypocritical because of the war zone her city has become.  She's taking valuable resources off the beat for her own protection.

I agree that 1st A rights to peaceably assemble should't be suppressed just because they are outside of a certain house.

However, there are going to be cops at just about any protest march. Anywhere. If nothing else, it's a deterrent to stupidity. Or the kind of agent provocateurs we saw in so many of the BLM violence.

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not entirely sure that even counts as 'one'.

Has she encouraged or supported protesters outside the homes of elected officials in other places?

I think plenty of other protest marches have been going through residential areas and places with privately held businesses. If you’re going to express general support I do think it’s hypocritical to fence yourself off and use police powers of arrest to do so.

pretty much the rest of this thread has just been airdvrs “things libs do I don’t like” musings, which is a very different thing from liberal hypocrisy.

Another fine upstanding protester. One less Democrat vote.

Samantha Shader, 27, of Catskill, NY, was it worth it? Throwing a molotov cocktail at an NYPD van with 4 cops inside. Did your protest achieve your goal? Is the country better off because of your actions? Four counts of attempted murder of a police officer, attempted arson, assault on a cop, criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment. Enjoy your life behind bars. Hope it was worth it for you. In America, we have a constitutional right to be stupid, and you exercised your right last night. Your picture will be in the dictionary when you look up dumbass!

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I agree that 1st A rights to peaceably assemble should't be suppressed just because they are outside of a certain house.

However, there are going to be cops at just about any protest march. Anywhere. If nothing else, it's a deterrent to stupidity. Or the kind of agent provocateurs we saw in so many of the BLM violence.

Then all citizens should be afforded the same protection.  She isn't anything special.  She works for the public.

11 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

He's not advocating the damaging protests, or refusing to enforce the law and order.

Note exactly, but he did suggest not being too particular about suspects’ rights (“take the hand off”), as well as offering to pay for the defense of people who attacked liberals, or maybe it was whoever finally took out Hillary Clinton. 
Take it with the same feeling

Wendy P