1 1
airdvr

Hypocrisy of the left

Instead of dancing around the issue with tenuous lottery analogies, make your stand. Either:

• make specific criticisms (with evidence) about postal voting and call for improvements in time for November, or
  • make a claim that postal voting will be unfixable by November, explain why (with evidence) and argue that voting should only be in person.
    • also a proposal on how this can be done during the covid-19 pandemic

All this hearsay and dancing around the issue reminds me of a particular person. "Many people say..." "It's in the manual..."

(edited)
1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

There has also been a problem in western Canada with Americans claiming they want to drive to Alaska but stopping to do tourist activities in Canada instead.

Edited by gowlerk

Well if the Canadian gov. was serious they could check Walmart parking lots first thing in the morning. There must be a mass migration to Alaska now because lots of RV's with US plates. They could stop selling fishing licenses to Americans because they all seem to be fishing their way to Alaska.

Its all propaganda, I think the locals figure they are just escaping trump till the election.

6 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

The correlation is with the importance.  It is also with the reliability of the mail in ballots.

I ask again - how did the mail in ballots do in New York just recently?

New York is mostly run by, and led by, democrat capability, is it not?

There is no correlation because the situation is vastly different between voting and claiming lottery winnings. It's a useless comparison. If we were allowed a six month window to cast our ballots then it would be comparable. There is no need to check results of any election for this to be evident. If you want to discuss mail in ballots then do so. Trying to create some equivalence between two radically different scenarios proves nothing about either.

5 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

The disenfranchisement of certain groups of voters isn't really hidden. You would have to be pretty blind not to see it. I mean you have heard of gerrymandering right?

You seem to be claiming that only one party plays that game?

Phil Burton and his modern art.

39 minutes ago, kallend said:

Awaiting the next in$tallment from Mexico?

Canada builds relatively porous walls. Immigrants Flock To Canada, While U.S. Declines

"New data show the number of people immigrating to Canada increased by 26% between 2015 and 2019, and is projected to rise higher as the country seeks to overcome the aging of its workforce – a serious problem in all Western nations. In the United States, legal immigration fell by 7% between FY 2016 and FY 2018, and is expected to decline even more sharply due to Trump administration policies."

Canada has a points system for immigrants, more cash, more education and the doors swing open. Last year 60% were economic immigrants, i.e. educated and /or over $250k cash.

Immigration could help Canada top U.S. in economic growth this year

'The Census Bureau reported Dec. 30 that net international migration in the U.S. plummeted for a third straight year in 2019 to a decade low of 595,000. Along with declining birthrates, that helped slow annual population growth to the weakest in a century, according to an analysis by Brookings Institution demographer William Frey.

Last year, Canada added a net 437,000 people from abroad, despite being only a tenth the size of the U.S., helping to drive its fastest population increase in 30 years, even with declines in fertility....

More restrictive immigration policies from the Trump administration have also curbed interest from foreign students and workers, benefiting its neighbor to the north."

The US, well the hypocrites of the GOP have killed any attempts at reforms. Oh well the OP has his theory flapping in the wind. Like trump's  attempts to conceal his lies.As the above shows his racist wall became one to drive students and wealthy immigrants to the north.

3 hours ago, olofscience said:

Instead of dancing around the issue with tenuous lottery analogies, make your stand. Either:

• make specific criticisms (with evidence) about postal voting and call for improvements in time for November, or
  • make a claim that postal voting will be unfixable by November, explain why (with evidence) and argue that voting should only be in person.
    • also a proposal on how this can be done during the covid-19 pandemic

All this hearsay and dancing around the issue reminds me of a particular person. "Many people say..." "It's in the manual..."

I, personally, have had bills, letters, packages, postcards, checks, money orders, and just about anything else sent or received through the USPS, lost temporarily, lost permanently.

Just recently (July) a client mailed me a check for his permit fees.  It never arrived.

Does that always happen?  No.

Does it happen enough that I have no confidence something as important to me as my vote should not be entrusted to human error?  Hell, Yeah.

Simple - Practice social distancing, and, extend the voting to last a week, not a single day.

The networks will love it - 

Pretend its a doctor's appointment.

(edited)
49 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

There is no correlation because the situation is vastly different between voting and claiming lottery winnings. It's a useless comparison. If we were allowed a six month window to cast our ballots then it would be comparable. There is no need to check results of any election for this to be evident. If you want to discuss mail in ballots then do so. Trying to create some equivalence between two radically different scenarios proves nothing about either.

Ok fine. 

What were the mail in results in New York just recently?

If you need me to, I can post the info for you, if you cant find it.

Edited by turtlespeed

8 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

You seem to be claiming that only one party plays that game?

Only one party has pursued a national statistically driven project to push it as a central election strategy, and as a result only one party holds a large advantage in the case of a 50-50 voter split.

8 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Simple - Practice social distancing, and, extend the voting to last a week, not a single day.

Sounds like a sensible suggestion if the postal voting system can't be fixed in time for November. Will this be feasible Constitution-wise or legally? Who would make the decision?

2 hours ago, olofscience said:

Sounds like a sensible suggestion if the postal voting system can't be fixed in time for November. Will this be feasible Constitution-wise or legally? Who would make the decision?

I suppose it would have to passed by the House first.  Assumption only - I really don't know.

As I say though, I'm pretty sure the networks would have a leg shake with that idea.xD

9 hours ago, murps2000 said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/07/new-york-election-failure-mail-in-voting/614446/

The results seem pretty bad. I hope my state does better. I wish it was as easy to vote as it is to collect lottery winnings.

I can't decide if I believe that is the way the election officials are wanting things to be. 

My cynical mind can think of arguments for both sides of that.¬¬

My conspiracy theory mind can think of even more.:rofl:

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I can't decide if I believe that is the way the election officials are wanting things to be. 

My cynical mind can think of arguments for both sides of that.¬¬

My conspiracy theory mind can think of even more.:rofl:

It's pretty obvious that the president wants things to be this way, except in Florida.

9 hours ago, olofscience said:

Hi olof,

I think that details of this ( and things such as time of opening & closing voting booths, etc ) are the prerogative of each state.  But, I really do not know; just have never had a real need to know. 

We only vote by mail here in Oregon with the exception that one can go to drop-off locations on election day to drop-off their ballot.

Jerry Baumchen

3 hours ago, murps2000 said:

It's pretty obvious that the president wants things to be this way, except in Florida.

The problem with that argument is that the POTUS doesn't control the post office.  Not at that level.

One would think that, if the democrats wanted the mail in ballots to work, they would spend some time making sure one of the most visible examples didn't end up like the rollout for Obamacare.

3 hours ago, murps2000 said:

The problem with that argument is that the POTUS doesn't control the post office.  Not at that level.

One would think that, if the democrats wanted the mail in ballots to work, they would spend some time making sure one of the most visible examples didn't end up like the rollout for Obamacare.

2 hours ago, murps2000 said:

What argument? Regardless of what he can do, the president has stated his position on mail in voting. He also has stated that Florida should be an exception.

I don't care what Trump says.

I go off my own personal experience.

The human error in New York is about par for the course.

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

He does now.  He just appointed a loyalist as postmaster general.  And the new postmaster general has cut hours massively - and has stated that if mail backs up "it won't be delivered."

So you just made an excellent argument that the president DOES want it that way - and is working towards that goal.

• Like 1