1 1
airdvr

Hypocrisy of the left

Just now, airdvr said:

The beauty of a public forum...as opposed to a courtroom.

Others here may enjoy playing your deceptive game, good for them. Take a look around at those you disagree with here. Now ask yourself if they play the same BS game you and other so called conservatives play when they are asked for real answers. And then ask yourself why you feel the need to deflect, deny and demur to protect your position.

31 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Others here may enjoy playing your deceptive game, good for them. Take a look around at those you disagree with here. Now ask yourself if they play the same BS game you and other so called conservatives play when they are asked for real answers. And then ask yourself why you feel the need to deflect, deny and demur to protect your position.

Bye

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

MSNBC producer Ariana Pekary slams network as ‘cancer’ after quitting job

“This cancer risks human lives, even in the middle of a pandemic,” she wrote.

“The longer I was at MSNBC, the more I saw such choices — it’s practically baked in to the editorial process – and those decisions affect news content every day,” she continued. “Likewise, it’s taboo to discuss how the ratings scheme distorts content, or it’s simply taken for granted, because everyone in the commercial broadcast news industry is doing the exact same thing.”

Before the "but Fox" cries start they might all do it but MSNBC does it to their own peril.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/category/ratings/

I didn't quite expect this from NYP -- except for the misleading sensationalist headline.  This former producer is not talking about HOW events are covered (or editorialized).  She's talking about WHICH stories are covered (and how often).  While I do agree -- and have for a couple decades -- that "commercial" broadcast news spends too much time on the same story regardless of the programming, and should spread the attention to explore a variety of issues that should be important to their audience, what is cited in this article is much different than what goes on at Fox (since you brought it up).  At Fox, except for a couple of straight-on news programs, the majority of the content is editorial and opinion, not news (though many viewers take all of it as "news," or at least based on factual premise).

Except for the headline, I was pleasantly surprised by the coverage of this topic by NYP.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TriGirl said:

I didn't quite expect this from NYP -- except for the misleading sensationalist headline.  This former producer is not talking about HOW events are covered (or editorialized).  She's talking about WHICH stories are covered (and how often).  While I do agree -- and have for a couple decades -- that "commercial" broadcast news spends too much time on the same story regardless of the programming, and should spread the attention to explore a variety of issues that should be important to their audience, what is cited in this article is much different than what goes on at Fox (since you brought it up).  At Fox, except for a couple of straight-on news programs, the majority of the content is editorial and opinion, not news (though many viewers take all of it as "news," or at least based on factual premise).

Except for the headline, I was pleasantly surprised by the coverage of this topic by NYP.  

“It’s our responsibility to cover stories that are critical to our viewers,” the network said. It should say that are critical to the bottom line driven by ratings and ad buys.

Like FOX, NBC and other news media corporations. CNBC takes a balance of hard journalism and editorial content. Rupert Murdoch built his media empire on a mix of right wing editorial content and a sliver of news. James Murdoch, the younger son of media mogul Rupert Murdoch, has resigned from the board of News Corporation citing "disagreements over editorial content".

CNN is the worst of the left in America for hammering the same story to the detriment of trump. But in the end market share, ratings, etc. drive profits. News, pure news and journalism with balance must be sought by the public. Interpreted by an inquiring mind.

51 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I heard a scenario that made me think.

If I'm honest - I would side with in person every time.

Q: If you won the lottery jackpot today, would you mail your ticket, through USPS, in order to claim your prize, if you could, and it was recommended?

Be honest.

And you think this somehow means that voting should be done in person?

56 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I heard a scenario that made me think.

If I'm honest - I would side with in person every time.

Q: If you won the lottery jackpot today, would you mail your ticket, through USPS, in order to claim your prize, if you could, and it was recommended?

Be honest.

If the alternative was to stand in an hours-long line? Yes, quite possibly. As long as I didn't have an immediate need for the money (of course, if you have an immediate need for the money, you probalby shouldn't be playing the lottery).

If the alternative is simply to walk up to somewhere convenient? Maybe not.

Wendy P.

37 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

If the alternative was to stand in an hours-long line? Yes, quite possibly. As long as I didn't have an immediate need for the money (of course, if you have an immediate need for the money, you probalby shouldn't be playing the lottery).

If the alternative is simply to walk up to somewhere convenient? Maybe not.

Wendy P.

I would make the drive to the lottery department, usually in the state capital.

I would do that paperwork in person.

1 minute ago, turtlespeed said:

I would make the drive to the lottery department, usually in the state capital.

I would do that paperwork in person.

Yeah? And if you had a decent chance of picking up a highly contagious disease while being there, would you still? What if you lived with a spouse or family member at high risk of dying? What if you didn't have a driver's license? What if you were currently out of country for work, say in Afghanistan?

Just now, SkyDekker said:

Yeah? And if you had a decent chance of picking up a highly contagious disease while being there, would you still?

>>>>Yep.  I'd take all the precautions I could reasonably take.

What if you lived with a spouse or family member at high risk of dying?

>>>>I'd take all the precautions I could reasonably take.

What if you didn't have a driver's license?

>>>>I'm required by law to have one, so I would have one, or at least a state issued ID card.

What if you were currently out of country for work, say in Afghanistan?

>>>>Afghanistan doesn't have a lottery that I would play.

>>>>I would go back on leave, and do my business in person, if at ALL possible.  Failing that ability, I would have legal counsel, and legal documentation, (Probably through the military or the consulate) then find a way to use registered mail, and, as a last resort, insure the ticket for the amount of the winnings, and send them by mail, reiterated, as a very last resort.

4 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Is your decision the one that should apply to everyone?

Wendy P.

Everyone else is their own person.

I think and believe that if everyone else was honest with themselves, the most poplar answer by a LONG shot would be, "No, I would do that in person."

10 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Voter backlash is coming. By the time November and Election Day arrives, people will be so damn fed up with Trump and his cronies that they will either mail in their votes (if allowed in that state), or they will put on a mask and go with everyone else. 

How do I know this? Because everyone by then...will be quite used to doing Business-By-Mask. It won't even be a big deal anymore. In fact, we're almost at that point now. 

Yep.  And to anticipate all those mail-in votes, Trump put a loyalist in charge of the USPS with instructions to muck it up as much as possible.  The new postmaster general has cut overtime and pay and has refused to backfill vacancies left by COVID-19 cases and deaths.  When he was asked what would happen to the mail they could no longer handle?  "Then they won't be delivered," he said.

This is a win-win for Trump.  If the USPS "loses" enough votes?  He wins.  And if he loses the election?  He can claim "it's because the USPS is such a mess!  I predicted this!  RECOUNT!"

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Not overly surprised you value money over the health of loved ones, it is the American way after all.

But, you didn't quite answer what this has to do with voting?

It is.  It is also a way to help the family as a whole.

I'm glad you are starting to get it.  It's about time.

I suppose it would depend on how much you think your vote is worth, eh?

OH wait - sorry - I forgot you don't get one.  My mistake.

7 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I suppose it would depend on how much you think your vote is worth, eh?

OH wait - sorry - I forgot you don't get one.  My mistake.

I indeed do not get a vote in your federal elections. Thank god. You couldn't pay me enough to live in that shit hole country.

A vote doesn't have a monetary value, but I don't expect an American to be able to understand that. You still think Trump is a great American success story cause you think he has money.

(edited)
1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

the most poplar answer by a LONG shot would be, "No, I would do that in person."

Maybe, but not by smart people. Smart people would set up a Claiming Trust (As part of a larger trust strategy) and assign their ticket to the Trust. Picking it up in person would be the last thing they want to do.

Edited by SkyDekker

(edited)
2 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Maybe, but not by smart people. Smart people would set up a Claiming Trust (As part of an larger trust strategy) and assign their ticket to the Trust. Picking it up in person would be the last thing they want to do.

Of the choices given; Mailing it in, or picking it up in person, which would you choose?

Be honest.

Edited by turtlespeed

8 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Maybe, but not by smart people. Smart people would set up a Claiming Trust (As part of a larger trust strategy) and assign their ticket to the Trust. Picking it up in person would be the last thing they want to do.

Hi Sky,

It is my understanding that here in Oregon, you have to go, in person, to the Lottery whatever-it-is-called at the state capital, Salem, OR.  I am sure that there are provisions for the disabled, etc.

Jerry Baumchen