loch1957

How old is too old?

I have been member here long time but rarely post. I started lessons and after 9 static line jumps I quit so I could fly. Wasn't practical to do both at once. So now years later I'm a pilot and fly often but I still stop and watch jumpers. Jumping still holds a lot of fascination to me. Question is at what point do people need to give it up? I'm 55 years old and healthy but I defiantly am not a 20 year old any longer. Opinions are welcome,
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

There are plenty of active skydivers well into their 70's and some into thier 80's. Search SOS & POPS.

IMHO each individual must make an honest self evaluation of his or her own abilities and limitations as it relates to jumping safely, executing emergency procedures, etc.

I came back to the sport this year following a 22 year lay off, started AFF all over and got my A license at 50. A body in motion stays in motion!

I would encourage you to go to your local DZ and speak to an instructor.
Air Cooled, Gravity Powered

SRA #6305

I taught a 78 or 79 year old pilot to jump. He had a hard time arching because of arthritis. But did great.

So you should pack it in and give it up after another 20 years or so.

As long as you're not jumping in the UK, but thats another story.

Don't know when you made your static line jumps, but if it was a long time ago, jumping's changed. 55 used to be really pretty old, but possible (I knew one guy who started at that age in the 1970's). Now, well, I know record-level jumpers who started when they were 50. You're 7 years younger than I am, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that someone like me to try it out.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Your sig line says, "Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

I know several that started in their late forties to mid fifties and now have thousands or skydives plus some instructional ratings. Get after it.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

loch1957

I have been member here long time but rarely post. I started lessons and after 9 static line jumps I quit so I could fly. Wasn't practical to do both at once. So now years later I'm a pilot and fly often but I still stop and watch jumpers. Jumping still holds a lot of fascination to me. Question is at what point do people need to give it up? I'm 55 years old and healthy but I defiantly am not a 20 year old any longer. Opinions are welcome,

"Too old" is more a matter of physical fitness and cognitive ability. Thanks to smaller, lighter gear and parachutes that open and land softly, a lot of people jump well into their 70's and some into their 80's.

The main thing to consider is our ever decreasing ability to get roughed up. A hard opening when you're 30 will send you to the Advil bottle. At 70 it might send you to the ER. Same with injuries. Old people injure more easily and take much longer to heal completely if they ever do. For that reason older folks often select canopies that can be trusted to have soft, consistent opening and have modest performance characteristics.

Go for it! You're not getting any younger, ya know. ;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I started AFF last year at 58.
I too am a pilot and think that helps some.
I have 77 jumps in just over a year.
Things probably have changed since your static line jumps but experience is still experience.
I started AFF without a tandem and did as well as most.

One thing I would recommend is to talk to people your own age about canopy sizing and be aware that there is a thinking among many skydivers today that smaller is always better. I've seen people quit because the canopy size they were recommended kept scaring or even hurting them. Don't buy into it. Besides, some of us enjoy being in the sky and aren't in such great hurry to get to the ground. Or hurt.

OK I dont feel quite as old now. Not sure how others are but id be happy pulling at 10,000 feet, i just like the ride better than free fall. I think thats why i took up flying, i can stay up there longer. At least the plane puts me to where i can jump lot more places. Thanks for in put.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

I'm 51 and just a few jumps away from my A license after only having done a tandem a few years back.

Not a natural by any stretch, & perhaps sore a little longer after a hard landing, but having a blast.

Definitely not feeling too old. As others have mentioned, you can be as aggressive or conservative as you want to be, within the limits of what your skills and body can handle :-)

Go for it!

I did my first jump (a tandem) at age 52. That was 20 years ago.

I have now done over 3100 jumps, have 2 FAI world records (in wingsuit and in formation skydiving) as well as world records in the over 40, over 60 and over 70 age groups. Also a bronze medal from the national championships.

Just do it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Made my first jump at age 56. Four years later and I just earned my D license. If you're healthy you can be an accomplished and safe skydiver. Just don't try to keep up with everything the kids do!
My Dad used to ask me if someone jumped off a bridge would I do that too? No, but if they jumped out of an airplane, that's a different question...

I started at 56! I just turned 60 and I now have 540 jumps, my B license and I am learning to freefly, which I absolutely love! You might have to work harder for it, but it will breathe new life into you! It changed my life and it will change yours also. I keep in shape by doing yoga and hiking. I try to jump 100+ times a year, which I think is important for us to keep in shape physically and mentally. Go for it!

I haven't been here in a while. I just looked at my profile. Apparently I need to update that:)

Is anyone from BPA watching this thread? Cpoxon? Come on, give us the official line about how the Queen's association forbids training of anyone older than 55 in jolly old England! Because you know..... seniors just aren't safe and all!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I did my first tandem 4 years ago at age 48 but really got serious about it over the last 2 years. 91 jumps in the last 3 months (Holy Crap; had to look that up to make sure it was right!).

I don't try to keep up with the "kids' and their rush to downsize. I jump a 230 Spectre loaded a little more than 1:1, and with careful pack jobs, it has a nice snivelly opening that hasn't wacked me yet. Yeah, the learning curve is a little longer (Tunnel-time really helps for learning to arch) and PLFs can leave marks that takes a little longer to recover from but all-in-all, age is just a number (ask my 27 year old bride!) ;)

If you're in good shape and have the right mind set: Go for it! Hope to see you in the sky! :)

"I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived." Willa Cather

Well, Professor Kallend chimed in, and he's probably got the best answer for you. ;)

Personally, I'm 52, have been jumping for about 15 years.

I can't go at it as "hard and heavy" as I used to, and I feel it more the next day.

So what. It's still a lot of fun. I can still do reasonably well. I'm slowly coming to the realization that I'm a "crusty old guy", but I'm ok with that.
I don't jump enough to be really good, or to advance to freeflying or that sort of stuff, but I'm ok with that. As long as I can exit without funneling, make my slot and remember the next point, as long as I'm not the one who screwed up the worst, then I'm cool with it.

I intend to keep jumping as long as my mind and body allow me to do it safely. People like the Professor and a few others that I know give me hope that I will not have to stop for quite a while yet.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'm 69 years old now and still jumping. I don't jump nearly as much as I used to, but that is a matter of logistics rather than desire. I now have to travel much farther to a drop zone than I did before retiring to the coast.

I have participated in two SOS state records and I hope to participate in more attempts in the future.

I have made a few concessions to aging such as having my harness retrofitted with B-12 snaps and using a more forgiving canopy. My range of motion isn't anywhere close to what it used to be, but I still feel that I am safe in the air and will continue to jump as long as I am not a danger to myself or to others.

I won't get into freeflying or wingsuiting but I will continue to "belly fly" as long as I can.

I might take up golf after that.;)

Bob_Church

One thing I would recommend is to talk to people your own age about canopy sizing and be aware that there is a thinking among many skydivers today that smaller is always better. I've seen people quit because the canopy size they were recommended kept scaring or even hurting them. Don't buy into it. Besides, some of us enjoy being in the sky and aren't in such great hurry to get to the ground. Or hurt.

I agree 100%. "Big" might not be cool, but walking (not limping) off the field with a smile is.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I have to double agree about a larger canopy. I'm 65 and just started jumping again after a 22 year layoff. Currently jump a Maverone 248 and enjoy looking up and seeing that big dog in full flight. Good flairs also make the landings relatively safe. I try to stay in shape and find that stretching the morning of jump day helps a lot. Good luck.

It's not just about age. We had a young woman who was doing very well as a skydiver and having a lot of fun. Then her new boyfriend explained to her that a necessary part of skydiving is downsizing and that she "really should" be jumping a canopy that was much smaller.
She made some jumps on it and quit jumping. The smaller canopy sucked the fun out of the sport for her and her boyfriend had convinced her, and many other novice jumpers, that downsizing isn't an option, it's an expected part of the sport. Experienced jumpers who are having fun with smaller canopies is great but I don't understand this growing attitude in the sport that if you don't downsize you shouldn't be here.