Neoslim22

FAA rules on observer rides

Have any idea where I can find out if the PAC 750XL inflight door was approved with or without a parachute use requirement?

The aircraft was certified with the door already installed from the factory so you would find any such requirement in the POH.

If you read the first page of AC105-2E 3.a(4) you will see:

(4) Part 119, Certification. Air Carriers and Commercial Operators (§ 119.1(e)(6)). Pilots who conduct parachute operations within a 25 statute mile (sm) radius of the airport of departure may conduct them as commercial operations under part 91.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_105-2E.pdf
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Just put a skydiving rig on the observer. Then they are engaging in sport parachuting . If the FAA is there tell them the "skydiver" chickened out and came down with the plane.

MikeStafford

Just put a skydiving rig on the observer. Then they are engaging in sport parachuting . If the FAA is there tell them the "skydiver" chickened out and came down with the plane.

That strategy has been suggested before. Creative legalize aside, we were talking about the nuisances of the FAR's, not how to dodge them.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

pchapman

*** Creative legalize aside, we were talking about the nuisances of the FAR's, not how to dodge them.

Nuisances? Idiocy, more like it.

Did you mean "nuances"?

Never mind, "nuisances" works perfectly well too! :P

Oops, yes I did. And yes, it does.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I know if an instance where an observer used the ride to altitude to commit suicide. Signed a waiver but, that still didn't prevent the FAA from immediately yanking a very experienced pilots license and grounding the bird. Huge nightmare to get back in the air and legal issues from smashing into a house on the ground. Waaaaaaay too much risk for me and that won't EVER happen at my place. You either have a rig on and know how to use or sit on the ground.