JoeWeber

Death Panel in Texas

31 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

My nurse practitioner at the clinic where I am treated stated that when ventilators become scarce triage will take on an escalated priority of value of life.

I doubt she said it in those words, because that sentence is needlessly convoluted and as a result makes no sense.

37 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

What short-sighted people don’t realize is that when the bottom 10% is repeatedly eliminated, eventually they’re part of that bottom 10%
Wendy P. 

No that will actually stop long before it gets to those who actually matter. You eliminate the bottom 10%. Then poor people from other countries will flock in to fill that 10% back up. Plus poor people breed more rapidly than rich. So you have a continual stream of poor people to exploit.

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

My nurse practitioner at the clinic where I am treated stated that when ventilators become scarce triage will take on an escalated priority of value of life.

Never fear.  Death panels in Arizona and now Texas will decide who gets that ventilator based on things like "life stages" they are going to experience and their value to the government.  Bye bye granny!

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

What short-sighted people don’t realize is that when the bottom 10% is repeatedly eliminated, eventually they’re part of that bottom 10%
Wendy P. 

Nonsense.  No one will ever come for me.  I don't have to worry.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Nonsense.  No one will ever come for me.  I don't have to worry.

Hi Bill,

'The Nazi's first came for the Communists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.  Then they came for the Jews and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.  Then they came for the trade unionists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.  Then they came for the Catholics and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.  Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak for me.

Rev. Martin Niemoeller'

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)
7 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Well yeah, no shit. 

When you can’t treat everyone you treat the ones you can save, then the children, women and young males. 

But it’s that definition of ‘value’ that’s the pisser isn’t it.

Does an 85 yo white millionaire have more VALUE than a 20 yo Latino ex marine? Well, it depend on your politics, doesn’t it?

Edited by yoink

Is there any place in the US right now (and not asking in that fashion to discount other countries, just want to specify the target of the question) where lack of ventilators is an issue?  Early in the pandemic it was a big concern, and as a result production of ventilators ramped fairly quickly.  I've been following ventilator usage stats in a few major areas of TX and not really seeing ventilators getting close to full capacity...I'm not sure if that's due to local demand or if it's just that ventilators didn't turn out to be required in as high of numbers as they were thought to be in the very early days.  Early on, when all we knew was that "this is highly contagious and severely affects the respiratory system", ventilators were legitimately a huge concern, but in hindsight was it that big of an issue?  

This morning I was at the office of a major electronics manufacturer who's building some equipment that my company makes, and they've switched into full-on ventilator mode and are cranking them out as fast as possible based on orders that were submitted many many months ago.  

To be clear, I'm not trying to downplay the pandemic here in the least...A massive uptick in cases and a shortage of ICU beds are obviously prevalent in many areas (and I assume that a vent is likely of limited use if an ICU bed is not available), but are there any places where a lack of ventilators is the bottleneck to delivering care? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

That is just her gentle way of saying "wear your fucking mask, Ron.  You already have a terminal illness, and we aren't going to waste resources on you, so do everything you can to avoid this virus."

7 hours ago, headoverheels said:

That is just her gentle way of saying "wear your fucking mask, Ron.  You already have a terminal illness, and we aren't going to waste resources on you, so do everything you can to avoid this virus."

Funny!

My disease is in remission for the second time. We were both wearing masks. We were having a professional discussion. I too was a clinician back in the day.

My wife and I wear masks whenever we are in the public arena. She is a higher risk than I. She suffers COPD and asthma.

Just now, RonD1120 said:

Funny!

My disease is in remission for the second time. We were both wearing masks. We were having a professional discussion. I too was a clinician back in the day.

My wife and I wear masks whenever we are in the public arena. She is a higher risk than I. She suffers COPD and asthma.

Dare I ask what sort of clinician you were?

On 7/24/2020 at 6:38 AM, RonD1120 said:

Funny!

My wife and I are very careful.  I've been in stores (grocery, home depot) a total of 5 times since mid March.  We sanitize all groceries that are delivered, let mail sit for at least 4-5 days, etc. I have chronic slight cough/asthma for the past 26 years, but she doesn't have a normal immune system any more.  She did decide to go ahead with rotator cuff surgery 6 weeks ago, so that means going to physical therapy twice a week -- everyone is careful, but that is likely our main exposure risk.