heavision

buying a rig out of state, help please

Hello brothers and sisters!!

I'm trying to buy my first rig. I've found some I'm interested in. I don't have a home DZ to facilitate a transaction.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as buying a rig from someone in another state? Are there methods of payment where both the buyer and seller are protected?

I was thinking: maybe there's a method where buyer and seller go to their banks simultaneously and sit down with bank officers and transfer funds? Both parties would have to have IDs and the bank would oversee the transaction. This would seem to insure that you're buying from the actual person the seller claims to be.

Check this out: Recently I was looking at a rig, a great deal, I was psyched. Pursued it. Turned out the seller was impersonating someone. This 'someone' was a real person, a skydiver; the seller was an impostor using this guy's good name to give credence to the scam. I found the 'someone' elsewhere online, got a hold of him and said "hello Mr. (Xxxx), I'm interested in that rig you're selling", to which he replied; "Yeah that's my name, but I'm not selling a rig!" We both looked into it and, yeah, it was a total scam. Caught it in time, no damage. Close one.

So now I'm looking at another rig and am 95% sure dude is who he says he is. But before I send payment, I wanna be 99.9% sure. There must be procedures to insure safe, secure payment for this scenario and others like it. People buy shit all the time outside of Amazon, Ebay, etc.--private, person to person sales--right? How do they do it?

This post turned out to be about 5 times longer than I planned. I felt like I had to include that part about the scam though. Be careful y'all, research the person you're buying from and selling to. Its rough out there. I've felt safer under canopy in crappy weather!! OK, rant over.

Suggestions? Let 'em rip!

Rigger as Escrow. Search that term and you will find a bunch of info.

Short version:
Seller ships rig to inspector. Inspector checks rig over. Buyer is told rig is ok. Seller sends funds to seller. Seller receives funds and tells inspector to release rig.

Chutingstar offers the escrow service for free, with the inspections and shipping costing standard fees.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yeah, thing is; I don't have a home DZ or a rigger I'm familiar with. I'm a new skydiver. I'm trying to find an alternative method.

Cashier's checks are made out to a specific person, yes? They have show ID to deposit it? Is that safe, do people do that? To buy rigs I mean.

I would still recommend finding a large loft (Chuting Star, as an example) to act in escrow. Even though they are not local, large gear stores rely on their good reputation to stay in business and are not looking to scam the purchaser or the seller. Another good option, is to purchase off the many Facebook gear sale pages. It allows you to see the sellers profile, look at their friends (including common friends,) and where they jump, so you can actually call their dz and verify their character.

Also, check your messages.

You are unlikely to find a seller that is willing to ship you a full system, with no collateral. Plus, you really do need to send any gear you are purchasing to a rigger, PRIOR, to purchase for inspection, so that you can be certain that the gear is as described and airworthy.

Even without a local dz connection, you can find a work around. Your bank is not interested in getting involved. I know that PayPal does offer some protection, but I don't know how complicated the process is to dispute a claim.

There are some manufacturers that will accept gear for presale inspection, and will not release the gear until the invoice is paid, so perhaps that is an option.
"I love when humans fly,"

If you are worried about the security of the transaction, as in will the seller actually ship what they say they are shipping, insist on PayPal. Not friends and family, but sale transaction. They charge 2.9% of the transaction, but they will refund you and go after the seller if you are ripped off. Be prepared to pay the 2.9% extra fee yourself. PayPal charges it to the seller.

Also, you can ask the seller to provide a reference. Like a rigger or DZO who is local to the seller. Skydiving is a small world and people who can give a reference are usually good.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Keep it simple, Use Chutingstar. I have on two different occasions and it was very smooth. Contact them and they will walk you through it.

They will inspect the gear and give you a written report. It is a safe transaction for both parties.
Dano

1) Use Chutingstar

2) Ask for the name of their DZ. Give the DZ a call in down time and ask for a couple of minutes to speak with the DZO and just check that they're a regular there, and are generally on the level. Explain your situation and the gear you're being offered - don't do this on a weekend.

If you filled in your profile with a location we might be better able to help. There seemed to be a map with Saint Louis, Mo marked. If your near there PM user peek on here. Gary Peek, rigger, all round nice guy and USPA board member.

Besides Chuting star I've acted as inspecting rigger. A lot of folks know me from running the speakers at the PIA Symposium for several years and as past Rigging committee chairman. Also DPRE. I've sent a rig to Jim Crouch, USPA Director of Safety and Training. He was the buyers rigger of choice and since I knew him and his position that was fine.

Do NOT use the rigger the seller recommends unless it is a high profile person in the sport or industry. Might not exist.

Chuting Star works well for folks that don't have a clue.:P

Some sellers refuse to do this. If so find a different rig to buy. It's their choice not to send for inspection to a third party and it's your choice to buy something else.

No matter what you need an experienced rigger/instructor to guide you as to what to purchase. Buy some beer and make friends with someone.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

One way to protect yourself, have seller put down in writing EXACT condition of rig. Get a postal money order, POSTAL money order. If anything is not as stated, the postal service will pursue and remedy the situation. It is important to use a postal money order, it is then a federal issue.

Years ago my ex wanted to get involved with a work at home envelope stuffing thing, it sounded too good to be true, so I used a postal money order for startup costs, and as I suspected, it was a scam. We contacted the postal service, it took a while, but we got the most eyes back, and was deposed for trial evidence.

heavision

Yeah, thing is; I don't have a home DZ or a rigger I'm familiar with. I'm a new skydiver. I'm trying to find an alternative method.

Cashier's checks are made out to a specific person, yes? They have show ID to deposit it? Is that safe, do people do that? To buy rigs I mean.

Read my post again, and click on the part that is underlined.

Chutingstar is a large gear retailer that will do the inspections, and act as the escrow agent.
You pay for the inspections and two stage shipping (to Chutingstar and to you).

Work out with the seller who pays for what if the deal goes well, and who pays for what if it doesn't.

Typically, the buyer pays for shipping to and the inspection. If it goes through, the buyer pays for shipping from ChutStar to them. If it falls apart, the seller pays for the shipping from Chutstar back.
But, again, work all this out with the seller before hand.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo