shorehambeach

Any crossover in skydiving and paramotor ?

Sure, there's crossover in many activities, however the biggest mistake I see people make is expecting their skill in one activity to create a shortcut in learning the other.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Thought i'd let peeps know that the answer to this is no and yes.

Having now done my first Paramotor/PPG course its all about the ground handling of the wing.

Once airborne though there is a familiarity to be under canopy and the same basic principals of turning and flaring apply.

There is little cross over on the ground (none in fact) but once in the air the canopy skills are similar albeit they are different wings.

The main benefit in skydiving and now learning to paramotor for myself is i no longer have any vertigo/fear of heights thanks to jumping and it wasn't a sensation overload like my first 100 jumps.

:)

Nice! I see some paramotors fly and land in a field not far from where I live and I said I want to do that once.
But first let me get started by getting a good skydiver and get rid of the fear of getting in the plane. Also I think my wife would hit me in the head ;)

I started paragliding about a year ago and I felt very comfortable once airborne. Since learning how to kite, it really helps me when landing after a skydive or base jump to shut down my canopy behind me so it's not full of air. Makes for a quicker get away.

diablopilot

Sure, there's crossover in many activities, however the biggest mistake I see people make is expecting their skill in one activity to create a shortcut in learning the other.

This.

In Paragliding/Paramotor your chief job is to pilot your wing. Skydivers are, by PG standards, just flying sacks of potatoes capable of flaring.

When I started to paraglide, my skydiving instincts actually were a detriment because I wouldn't turn into final low enough and overshot the landing area. I'm not sure if skydiving before PG made things easier or harder.