wmw999

Here’s to Bill

I have a disabled friend who lives alone; he called me yesterday to say his friend Bill had died Wednesday at 91. Ya know, that’s a good long life. He helped his neighbors (checked on my friend and helped him often, read to and bought food for another neighbor with macular degeneration), ser himself up for old age (had two guys with marginal skills living in his house to save on bills and lift heavy things when needed). 

He’d been a garden water feature contractor when he was younger — knew a lot of Houston glitterati (including Hedy Lamarr when she lived there in the mid 50’s). He was a throwback to an era when everyone knew their neighbors, and liked it that way. I have no idea on any of his life outside of his relationship with my friend, but it was probably consistent  

Frankly, we could all do a whole lot worse than to hope we can be like Bill; useful, with purpose, and part of a caring community. Anyone can be a hero to someone 

Wendy P  

• Like 2

cheers to bill.

i am still 15 years from retiring, but i do hope that when i do retire, i spend a fair amount of time helping others. i'm not a religious person, and this isn't a religious forum; instead i subscribe to the purpose of life is to "have fun and leave things a little better than you found them" helping others is one way to do that.

(edited)
35 minutes ago, SethInMI said:

i'm not a religious person, and this isn't a religious forum; instead i subscribe to the purpose of life is to "have fun and leave things a little better than you found them" 

You sure you're not religious? Ecclesiastes 3:12-13  :)

Edited by BIGUN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Ecclesiastes 3:12-13

ha. sure. my post doesn't read quite as i intended; i didn't mean to imply that being religious would exclude those things.

that reminds me of my mother who likes the first question and answer to her church's catechism. the Westminster, which allows for a little fun.

• Like 1