Westerly

So how is your DZ handling the virus?

I've been around to a few DZs. A few arnt wearing masks at all and have absolutely no precautions of any sort. Most of the people there think Covid is all fake news bullshit. At other places, they require masks, but people take them off anyway. I had a conversation with someone today who routinely refused to wear a mask at the DZ. He said he plans to go visit another state for a BASE jumping trip. Said other state has a strict quarantine law from anyone arriving from out of the state with heavy fines if you're caught violating it. He mentioned that's bullshit and he has no legal requirement to follow it because his lawyer friend said the laws are illegal and if he gets arrested he's going to sue. I said good luck with that. Judges really like when you tell them they have no legal authority. 

Anyway, that's mostly what i have seen at the DZ. People who think it's all bullshit and Covid isint even a real thing. How's things in your parts?

Edited by Westerly

I wish I could tell you.  I've only jumped twice this year, and now my rig is in the closet and probably isn't coming back out until (a) infection rates are back down to the levels immediately prior to reopening, or (b) there is a reasonably effective vaccine.  Masks or no masks, I simply don't believe that cramming 5 people in a 182, or 15+ into a caravan, etc., is a good idea.  

This is also definitely NOT a skydiving thing.  I was at a powerlifting competition this past weekend (the other USPA, lol) where masks were mandated for everyone but the lifter on the platform.  And yet there was the Head Referee, all day long, yelling commands to the lifters with no mask.  

On 7/19/2020 at 2:27 AM, Westerly said:

I've been around to a few DZs. A few arnt wearing masks at all and have absolutely no precautions of any sort. Most of the people there think Covid is all fake news bullshit. At other places, they require masks, but people take them off anyway. I had a conversation with someone today who routinely refused to wear a mask at the DZ. He said he plans to go visit another state for a BASE jumping trip. Said other state has a strict quarantine law from anyone arriving from out of the state with heavy fines if you're caught violating it. He mentioned that's bullshit and he has no legal requirement to follow it because his lawyer friend said the laws are illegal and if he gets arrested he's going to sue. I said good luck with that. Judges really like when you tell them they have no legal authority. 

Anyway, that's mostly what i have seen at the DZ. People who think it's all bullshit and Covid isint even a real thing. How's things in your parts?

COVID is not fake and the problem is not just the virus. There's this COVID: Culture Of Virtual Idiots & Dumbasses.

• Like 1

Here in Belgium we have to:

• wear a mask or cover our nose and mouth with a buff or something in the plane.
  • parts of the plane need to be desinfected before getting in (parts of the door or bars, belts
  • desinfect our hands before getting in the plane and after landing
  • we need to respect social distancing on the dz. If for some reason it's not possible, e.g dirtdive, then wear a mask.
  • some dropzones require registration for jumpers to be allowed to come to the dz

If that's what it takes for us to keep jumping and keeping it save for everyone, what's the big deal then? Don't be an idiot and put that mask on.

(edited)
On 7/19/2020 at 1:27 AM, Westerly said:

Around here in Manitoba we have very little Covid-19 currently. It is only online that I have seen people talking about "bullshit", in person no one here is speaking openly like that. We are wearing masks in the buildings and in the airplane. Compliance is not 100%, but we remind each other and try. Most of us know that there is little danger at the moment, but that the picture could change quickly.

Our management team knows that social distancing and skydiving, particularly tandem skydiving, are not compatible. We are fully prepared and willing to cease operations if there is a case of Covid-19 among our key personnel or customers that appears likely to cause any spread. We consider ourselves very lucky to be in a place with almost no problem now. We realize that only by being vigilant is there a chance it will stay that way.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1