1 1
carlsonje

AFF training and logging my AFF jumps

Question

I am going for my AFF and Class A license.  My instructor logged my AFF jumps in my log book. How do I know if these count toward my 7 AFF qualified jumps?  I have seen the words AFF I-20 on a couple of jumps in the signature block next to PnC D183845 (I think that is her certification number).  I have also seen AFF I-17.  Just a bit cryptic and want to know what these mean and don't want to sound like I am on jump #1 instead of #9 to her.

4 answers to this question

On 7/18/2020 at 10:31 PM, carlsonje said:

I am going for my AFF and Class A license.  My instructor logged my AFF jumps in my log book. How do I know if these count toward my 7 AFF qualified jumps?  I have seen the words AFF I-20 on a couple of jumps in the signature block next to PnC D183845 (I think that is her certification number).  I have also seen AFF I-17.  Just a bit cryptic and want to know what these mean and don't want to sound like I am on jump #1 instead of #9 to her.

Hello,

Packncathy here. AFFI -# indicates the AFF instructor rating is valid for that year. If you need anything just call! 912 322 7282

On 7/18/2020 at 7:31 PM, carlsonje said:

I am going for my AFF and Class A license.  My instructor logged my AFF jumps in my log book. How do I know if these count toward my 7 AFF qualified jumps? 

You made AFF jumps. Your instructor(s) logged them. That's how you know. They count, not sure what would be confusing about that.

On 7/18/2020 at 7:31 PM, carlsonje said:

I have seen the words AFF I-20 on a couple of jumps in the signature block...   ...I have also seen AFF I-17.

Some instructors sign 'AFFI-XX'. Some use the current year, showing their rating is current, others use the year they first got their rating.

This sort of question is a really good one to ask over beers (or other drinks of your preference) after jumping is done for the day.

In a perfect world, it can (and should) be asked during the 'after jump debrief'. Unfortunately, many instructors are in a hurry to get done and on to the next jump, so those debriefs cover the essentials of the jump and not a lot extra.

(edited)

one thing you need to learn as a student skydiver is to not learn to skydive on the internet.  ask your instructors.  that is a phrase you will hear until you are no longer a student.  it also applies here.  i can answer the question though, i just want to make sure that you know about not listening to random strangers since it could be dangerous. 

if they are numbered they should count.  if you were jumping by yourself and not strapped to someone they should count.  i think i recall that a working tandem counts but don't quote me on that.  the D183845 is the d license number of who signed that entry and the AFF I-17 and AFF I-20 sound like rating numbers but i don't have those ratings so i don't know for sure.  that sounds like a high d number to me, d39238 was the last one in last month's parachutist.  it is probably the member number, mine is not too much higher than that.  make sure you ask next time you are getting your logbook signed.

Edited by sfzombie13
typo