1 1
Gavrilo Andrić

X-Fire wobbling during full flight

Question

Hi, I'm experiencing quite weird behavior of my x-fire 124ft during full flight. Canopy is constantly wobbling around and sometimes it looks pretty scary. During the first several times my assumption was that turbulence is pretty hard but then I've realized that other skydivers aren't experiencing the same issue. So I've decided to jump and record behavior of my canopy in order to investigate the issue. Here you can see one of the jumps. What I can see is that PC is still inflated and it's pretty tense, so maybe this is part of the issue. What do you think? 

Additional information.

1. Canopy have around 50 jumps
  2. This is my 5th or so jump on this type of canopy
  3. WL is 1.58 
  4. This is not just happening near the ground
  5. One more time link to the video 

Thanks

6 answers to this question

It doesn't look like a bit issue looking at the first video. The amount of wobbling is fairly small, and I would expect that the inflated PC could at least help causing that. Does it also happen with a fully collapsed PC, in calm days?

Being said that, under normal circumstances I have never experienced wobbling on my X-Fires (flew 124, 113 and 102)

Another thing you can check is the length of the A2s. See:

• Like 1

Remove the twists from your left steering line.

Were you sitting perfectly calm in the harness, with your feet crossed?

• Like 1

(edited)

First of all thanks for the reply @riggerbob. Yup, perfectly calm. Also twists are for sure an issue, but this was happening even after straightening up the lines.

EDIT: Not sure if my feet are crossed. 

My friend helped me with some calculations and it seems that inflated PC (24in) is producing around 150N of drag force in normal full flight.

Attached the same issue (manifested even more) from a different angle. See the pink x-fire on the left. 

Edited by Gavrilo Andrić

Your pilot chute doesn't look completely collapsed. Not a clue if that has anything to do with your problem  though.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 11:00 AM, Deimian said:

It doesn't look like a bit issue looking at the first video. The amount of wobbling is fairly small, and I would expect that the inflated PC could at least help causing that. Does it also happen with a fully collapsed PC, in calm days?

Being said that, under normal circumstances I have never experienced wobbling on my X-Fires (flew 124, 113 and 102)

Another thing you can check is the length of the A2s. See:

Yup,that was my case :) Icarus World sent me a kit with A2 lines and now everything is fine :)