heavision

shipping insurance when sending a rig?

Hey brothers and sisters, I seek your wisdom:

Is it worth the extra $$$ to pay for insurance when shipping a rig via FedEx or UPS? I'm mean the insurance that the shipping companies offer. Or is it safe enough without? Faith, trust, tracking numbers etc. good enough?

If you've shipped a rig before, did you buy insurance? Why? Why not?

Bring it!

Hi vision,

did you buy insurance? Why? Why not?

It is a subjective thing. I almost always will buy the insurance. I plan to ship a rig tomorrow or the next day & it will be insured.

As to 'why:' Well, I am not the risk taker that my mother thinks that I am.

My $0.02,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) The insurance payed off nicely on a sewing machine head that arrived damaged; although, it did take a fair amount of time to get the money.

we are skydivers. Take a risk and don't use the insurance! JK....personal call. It can get pretty expensive if you're declaring the value at something like $5k or so. Given that there are tracking numbers and UPS/Fed Ex have good reputations, I never get the insurance when I ship expensive things and i declare the value at $100 so it doesn't charge me extra
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

I recently bought a canopy second-hand from a lady in holland. It got shipped over but the courrier couldn't find my house and instead of trying again they sent it back to sender. That was two weeks ago. Somewhere along the way it has dropped off their tracking system and now they don't know where it is. I'm very happy that it is insured. I'll be even happier if the insurance actually pays out