cosmicgypsy

Looking for a thread

Recently I saw a thread about someone having an old Javelin with the soft cutaway housing. I think they were looking to replace them and I have the same type. Was wondering about changing to the hard housing also. Questioning being what that would entail?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cosmic

16 minutes ago, cosmicgypsy said:

Recently I saw a thread about someone having an old Javelin with the soft cutaway housing. I think they were looking to replace them and I have the same type. Was wondering about changing to the hard housing also. Questioning being what that would entail?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cosmic

Hi cosmic,

Contact Sunpath, I'm sure that they will have everything that you will need.

Jerry Baumche n

• Like 1

Sunpath sells a kit. It is quite simple, just replacement housings and a new cutaway cable. They will need to know the size of the harness to sell you the correct length housings. You simply remove the soft housings and install the new ones into the existing channels. Then you tack them down in the usual way. After that you install the new cutaway handle and cables, measure them, and trim them to the correct length. Some people have been known to use parts salvaged from retired rigs. But Sunpath would never suggest that, and if you are going in that direction you need to be qualified to judge if the parts are compatible. (This will undoubtedly lead to a discussion on who is qualified!)

Sunpath used to have a retrofit kit.  Size of harness is not a factor, but yoke size is. Must supply info- yoke A - B or C.  (Helps to have a long soft stainless wire /steel "probe" gizmo to get it fed thru. Stainless steel wire is pref because it has lower friction and is very malleable.  I made one and converted a few of them.  Doubt I still have it.).  Just follow instr in the kit info. as Golerk said.          The hard part is the tight fit behind the neck area. Takes a bit of patience.

I wouldn't use salvaged parts unless Sunpath no longer has kits to sell.

My recommendation , after you have installed the new cable housings, get a new Sunpath Phat Daddy cutaway handle.  Has a big round wood or plastic hard inner piece in the handle for a superior grip.  Then follow Sunpath trimming instr. for the Lolon cutaway cable ends.  Must be punctilious in this trimming measurement.  Be perfect in trimming.