kallend

National Garden of American Heroes.

9 hours ago, kallend said:

There is a cancer in the White House.  Your question is like asking:

"Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

We can only hope that come next January the cancer will have been excised.

I didn't ask if you could say anything good about the White House; I asked if you could say anything good about the United States? 

9 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I didn't ask if you could say anything good about the White House; I asked if you could say anything good about the United States? 

He's a college professor (my father was, too). There's always room for improvement , and it's his job to point out where that is... ^.^

The problem is that my father was right often enough to confirm most of his biases. Even when the biases were wrong.

But he was also able to re-evaluate his positions, and moderate his behavior when he couldn't change his feelings, but knew they were problematic. I didn't know until I was in my 40's that he really, in his heart, thought that women should properly be mothers and remain at home. He knew his daughter shouldn't be limited like that (and my mother would have murdered him). So he never passed it on -- and I hope he didn't to his students, either. I don't think he did; he wasn't very good at duplicity.

College professors aren't all alike, but boy I've seen similarities among them sometimes ;)

Wendy P.

33 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Last time I checked the White House was the political power center of the USA.

The national parks are great, and apart from the loony fringes on either side, the people are great.  Air Traffic Control is great. The national labs and the top research universities are great.

But no matter how good the rest of the body, if it has cancer at its heart and in its brain it is not in good shape overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kallend said:

The national parks are great, and apart from the loony fringes on either side, the people are great.  Air Traffic Control is great. The national labs and the top research universities are great.

What about the risotto at Osteria Langhe? And, they have a magnificent collection of Cabernet's.:)

On 7/25/2020 at 8:34 AM, kallend said:

Last time I checked the White House was the political power center of the USA.

But no matter how good the rest of the body, if it has cancer at its heart and in its brain it is not in good shape overall.

So, for the 8 years prior to Trump, you had more good things than bad to say about the US, right?

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

So, for the 8 years prior to Trump, you had more good things than bad to say about the US, right?

Well, it certainly didn't have a cancer at its heart, which is the single most important thing.  The rest is just peripheral.

Everything can be improved.

1 minute ago, kallend said:

Well, it certainly didn't have a cancer at its heart, which is the single most important thing.  The rest is just peripheral.

Everything can be improved.

I believe the comment from Bigun was that there is really nothing but criticism for the US from certain posters. 

Here, let me recap::

Your comment:

On 7/24/2020 at 10:49 PM, kallend said:

There is a cancer in the White House.  Your question is like asking:

"Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

We can only hope that come next January the cancer will have been excised.

Bigun's response:  "I didn't ask if you could say anything good about the White House; I asked if you could say anything good about the United States? "

I asked you, "So, for the 8 years prior to Trump, you had more good things than bad to say about the US, right?"

So, did you think that Obama and his cabinet was (were?) also a cancer.  Your posting history, and your recent responses to Bigun don't really add up.  It seems that you are trying to convince us that the reason you are critical of the US is because of Trump. 

50 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

The non-capitalized "I" at the beginning.

That is beside the point, though.

Why would it have been capitalized? He wasn't talking about the Stephen King character or the Addams family cousin.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:15 PM, Phil1111 said:

Do you mean the Cherokee,Apache,Chippewa, etc. nations? What did they do wrong?

For starters, they DIDN'T burn the ships down before the white devils landed. Then they befriended the devils, and the rest is...Fucking sad. 

On 7/24/2020 at 5:55 AM, kallend said:

I'm generally not in favor of removing statues of historic figures just because they were scumbags according to 21st Century mores. I'd prefer adding a bronze plaque to the plinth explaining their scumbaggery, lest we forget.

Here is a prime example of statues and plaques clearly not teaching anything!

image.png.ac0fb0f126fe793f6b3ea5e466e56101.png

7 hours ago, okalb said:

On top of it just being stupid, she didn't even spell Chickamauga correctly.

I care significantly less that she can't spell a difficult name than the fact that she has no clue who was on which side during the Civil War (hint: Wilder Brigade was NOT "Confederate")

17 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I care significantly less that she can't spell a difficult name than the fact that she has no clue who was on which side during the Civil War (hint: Wilder Brigade was NOT "Confederate")

That doesn't matter.  What matters is she owned the libs.

• Like 2