kallend

National Garden of American Heroes.

So now he's trying to ingratiate himself with the people he's been denigrating for the past 4 years.

Christa McAuliffe makes the list but not Neil Armstrong, Alan Shepard nor Chuck Yeager.

Davy Crockett?

Billy Graham but not a single scientist or engineer.

36 minutes ago, kallend said:

So now he's trying to ingratiate himself with the people he's been denigrating for the past 4 years.

Christa McAuliffe makes the list but not Neil Armstrong, Alan Shepard nor Chuck Yeager.

Davy Crockett?

How the hell does a TV evangelist make it to this insane list? American ignorance is shining bright these days.

It's disgusting. Jebus Howard Christ the insanity of where this country is.

I’ll believe it when I see it. 

IF Trump wins in Nov it might happen. If Biden wins it’ll be delayed through committee review of acceptable statues so long that it’ll quietly get forgotten.

Nice to know where the CICs head is at during a pandemic and time of massive social unrest is, though.

6 hours ago, kallend said:

Davy Crockett?

Hi John,

And I bet we both know who he wants in there but has not named yet.

45th what?

Jerry Baumchen

15 hours ago, normiss said:

How the hell does a TV evangelist make it to this insane list? American ignorance is shining bright these days.

It's disgusting. Jebus Howard Christ the insanity of where this country is.

A televangelist is in the same business as what the GOP party has become. Making money off stupid people. I have to laugh at John's idea of no "scientist or engineers".

GOP supporting actors and the Koch brothers will be in the line first. Besides God, confederate generals, GOP supporters built America not inventions and science.

John really? The anti-science buffoon and chief.

(edited)

They're going to remove the statue of Columbus in Chicago today.

I'm generally not in favor of removing statues of historic figures just because they were scumbags according to 21st Century mores. I'd prefer adding a bronze plaque to the plinth explaining their scumbaggery, lest we forget. 

Christopher Columbus - Didn't discover America, not even the first European to reach the Americas, committed genocide, never set foot on the mainland. Didn't actually know where he was.

Thomas Jefferson - 3rd President, wrote the Declaration of Independence, slaveowner and sexual predator.

Robert E. Lee - So-so general, loser,  slaveowner, traitor.

Edited by kallend

2 hours ago, kallend said:

lest we forget

Merry Old England wasn't exactly squeaky clean during the slave era. "Sir" John Hawkins comes to mind. You know - the first slave trader. But, perhaps you haven't been to "Sir" John Hawkins Square.  But, you know, England felt so bad about it they did pay out 40% of the government budget in reparations. To the slave owners. 

I don't believe that we should use the English as either a universally good example or a universally bad example in this case. But given the amount of abuse, social, physical, and economic, that minority communities have suffered in the US, it might be that a larger reckoning will end up taking place, instead of the smaller one that might have helped 50-100 years ago.

That whole "a stitch in time saves nine" thing.

Wendy P.

7 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I don't believe that we should use the English

Nor, do I think the US should be a daily onslaught of everything we did wrong in the past, while sidestepping our own birth country's ills. 

2 hours ago, kallend said:

They're going to remove the statue of Columbus in Chicago today.

I'm generally not in favor of removing statues of historic figures just because they were scumbags according to 21st Century mores. I'd prefer adding a bronze plaque to the plinth explaining their scumbaggery, lest we forget. 

Christopher Columbus - Didn't discover America, not even the first European to reach the Americas, committed genocide, never set foot on the mainland. Didn't actually know where he was.

Thomas Jefferson - 3rd President, wrote the Declaration of Independence, slaveowner and sexual predator.

Robert E. Lee - So-so general, loser,  slaveowner, traitor.

I agree, keep the statues but add a plaque telling who they really were and what they did.

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Merry Old England wasn't exactly squeaky clean during the slave era. "Sir" John Hawkins comes to mind. You know - the first slave trader. But, perhaps you haven't been to "Sir" John Hawkins Square.  But, you know, England felt so bad about it they did pay out 40% of the government budget in reparations. To the slave owners. 

So what?  Did your mother accept "the other kids all do it" as an excuse for your behavior?

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Nor, do I think the US should be a daily onslaught of everything we did wrong in the past, while sidestepping our own birth country's ills. 

Do you mean the Cherokee,Apache,Chippewa, etc. nations? What did they do wrong?

5 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Then worry no longer.

Sir John Hawkins Square to be renamed

"A historic part of Plymouth Square named after slave trader is set to be renamed after a Plymouth Argyle player who was denied England cap because of his skin colour."

5 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I do, however, think we should own up to our prior behaviors. You know, that whole "first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye" thing.

And we should probably, as a part of that, stop treating traitors and genocidal maniacs as 'heroes'.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I do, however, think we should own up to our prior behaviors. You know, that whole "first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye" thing.

And we should probably, as a part of that, stop treating traitors and genocidal maniacs as 'heroes'.

Or treating them like Presidents too.

Maybe Bigun needs reminding that slavery was illegal in England since Elizabethan times, that the abolition of the slave trade started in Britain (1807) and British colonies (Canada in 1793). It was the Royal Navy, which established the West Africa Squadron in 1808 to patrol the coast of West Africa, and between 1808 and 1860 they seized approximately 1,600 slave ships and freed 150,000 Africans who were aboard.  

The Royal Navy declared that ships transporting slaves were the same as pirates. Action was also taken against African leaders who refused to agree to British treaties to outlaw the trade, such as "the usurping King of Lagos" who was deposed in 1851. Anti-slavery treaties were signed between Britain and over 50 African rulers. 

Slavery was abolished through the British Empire 30 years before it was abolished in the USA, and was achieved without needing a bloody civil war.

4 hours ago, kallend said:

Slavery was abolished through the British Empire 30 years before it was abolished in the USA

Again, England is not so squeaky clean. There's a whole list of War Crimes against Britain. My point was quit ragging on everything U.S. It really gets old when your mother-ship has holes in it too. Can you say anything good about the U.S.?  

14 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Again, England is not so squeaky clean. There's a whole list of War Crimes against Britain. My point was quit ragging on everything U.S. It really gets old when your mother-ship has holes in it too. Can you say anything good about the U.S.?  

Did your mother accept "all the other kids do it" as an excuse for your behavior?

23 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Can you say anything good about the U.S.?  

There is a cancer in the White House.  Your question is like asking:

"Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

We can only hope that come next January the cancer will have been excised.

8 hours ago, BIGUN said:

And I'll bet the Brits spend a lot of time ragging about Britain, when talking amongst themselves. But we're the biggest party in town right now, and there are more Americans than other nationalities on this forum, so we're the most likely center of attention.

Wendy P.