skydiverVik

How do I proceed after my AFF ?

I recently completed my AFF (PFF) training in Canada, and right now, I am confused on how to proceed. When I was doing my AFF course, I was covered by an insurance from the course, but now that I graduated from AFF, I am no longer covered, and I am confused about registering and getting my insurance from the CSPA. The instructors explained to me, that I need to mail CSPA Affiliation Application to the CSPA, by filling all the appropriate information, and paying a fee of $89. They explained to me that this fee is paid every season, and this is essentially my insurance. They also told me that I need to mail the "“SOLO” PARACHUTIST CERTIFICATE APPLICATION", by filling all the appropriate information, and paying a one time fee of $45. My questions are :

Once I send the CSPA Affiliation Application form and pay the fee, what will I get in return ? What will be mailed to me, so I can prove that I have paid this fee, and have the insurance needed to be able to jump at any drop zone in Canada. I was told that this insurance is for one year, does this mean that it will only last until the end of the skydiving season, or it is one full calendar year, from the time that I pay it ?

Also, do I need to send the "“SOLO” PARACHUTIST CERTIFICATE APPLICATION" form and the CSPA Affiliation Application form at the same time, and if I only send the CSPA Affiliation Application form will I still be able to jump ? Since the "“SOLO” PARACHUTIST CERTIFICATE APPLICATION" requires signatures from certain qualified instructors, and I am currently away from my drop zone, I will most likely be unable to send them at the same time, will this be a problem , and will I still be able to jump ?

Could you instruct me on the whole procedure of what I need to do after graduating from my AFF / PFF course, so i can jump again ? Thanks

You'll get better answers from instructors more current than I in submitting paperwork, but anyway:

You'll be a member of the CSPA for a year from when the application is processed, you'll get a plastic membership card, you'll be in the online database that DZ's can check, you'll get the Canpara magazine (5-6* / yr), .... and you'll pay to support the volunteer organization in handlingskydiving issues and developing instructional manuals.

The Solo certification can be sent in any time. Although presumably you don't want to send the CSPA membership application in later, as they won't issue a CSPA certificate to a non-member.

Yeah for every licence level (certificate level) you do have to be careful to get all the required jumps and the appropriate signoffs by the right levels of coaches and instructors.

I'm not quite sure what DZ's do about any gap after jump 10 while waiting for CSPA affliation. I think as long as you are at the same DZ and they know you are sending things in, they might not worry about it. (I don't hear of students taking a big break in the middle of their instruction just to wait for the paperwork to go through.)

Interesting. I did my aff in Canada (Vancouver) as well and all the paperwork and 1 year membership/registration with cspa were included in the price. The cspa membership is easy but on completion of aff the instructor who did your solo checkout should have gone over the paperwork with you so if they weren't doing it as part of the package that you had it all ready to submit. Being off season it could be difficult to get that paperwork signed off now.

Here is a link to the CSPA website that explains a little bit on what you get when you join CSPA.

http://cspa.ca/en/joincspa

Finishing AFF/PFF and getting your CSPA solo license are not necessarily the same thing. You'll see on your solo paperwork that there are tasks you must complete, a number of jumps you must have, as well as endorsements you must receive, and a test, in order to complete the Solo.

Regarding insurance: please note that CSPA provides Third Party Liability Insurance, which is NOT personal insurance (i.e. covers you if you get injured) but if you do damage to a third party's property - under certain conditions (IE all BSR's have been followed, etc.). this is NOT a comprehensive explanation of CSPA's insurance policies. Please contact the office for more information.

If you'd like more information, I would encourage you to contact the CSPA office directly. They can be emailed at [email protected] but if you have this many questions, you should probably pick up the phone and call them. The office is always happy to answer any questions.

Edited to add: If you are planning on going out of country to jump with just a CSPA solo or less, you may want to contact the dropzone you're planning on attending. The CSPA Solo is not recognized as a license in other countries to my knowledge, and each dropzone will have different requirements - they may require you to do jumps with an instructor, etc.