ck29

Catching tandems

I frequent a small DZ and have gone out to catch on days when winds are on the edge. Is there a correct way to do this? particularly if you should be grabbing 1 or both toggles.

Due to my limited experience at other DZ's I've never really seen both toggles being pulled upon landing, if two catchers run up to the same tandem typically one side is pulled. I tried looking up information on best practices here and on google and couldn't find anything. I tried looking up random videos of tandems landing and it's either no catchers(no wind), two catchers per tandem and both pulling, someone running around yanking 1 handle and running to the next tandem, I haven't seen 1 person grabbing both (or I haven't watched enough videos yet!).

I've never really had issues with 1 toggle as it would flip the nose down and then collapse as I pulled more at which point I could walk around behind to prevent re-inflation (same thing on personal jumps basically). Does wind speed dictate which method should be used? Is there anything mentioned in tandem certification courses? Is this a DZ specific practice passed down through generations and basically preference?

Edited by ck29
grammar

I always prefer both toggles are pulled on strong wind days.   Pull both until the tandem collapses.   I don't care if the cascades on the brake lines are pulled to the point they are near the guide rings on the risers.   No chance of really reinflating.      I will literally hand the toggles on landing to the catcher.   If there are 2 catchers each can grab a toggle.

When someone pulls one only - sure it turns the canopy into the ground but one side is still pretty much inflated.   A gust of wind and I'm pulled over (It doesn't take much when you still hooked up to a passenger with a big canopy).

What you do on your own gear when your by yourself is different from what you do when you have someone on the front of you.   Ever try turning and walk/run around the canopy when you have a 230 lbs unfit person who's wobbly legs from the parachute ride strapped to the front of you while getting dragged to the floor by a gust on a partially inflated tandem canopy.   Very different scenarios.

(edited)
7 hours ago, Westerly said:

the best way to catch tandems is not all. those guys are looser.s seriousaly, go fun jumping instead. why would you want to hang around those clowns?

Because fun jumping is not going to be nearly as much fun without the turbine aircraft that the tandem business pays for. Seriously. If everyone took an attitude like that there would be no fun jumping. Those "losers" are the people who make skydiving happen.

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)
9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Because fun jumping is not going to be nearly as much fun without the turbine aircraft that the tandem business pays for. Seriously. If everyone took an attitude like that there would be no fun jumping. Those "losers" are the people who make skydiving happen.

Edited by Westerly

(edited)
17 hours ago, Westerly said:

the best way to catch tandems is not all. those guys are looser.s seriousaly, go fun jumping instead. why would you want to hang around those clowns?

Spoken like a true bridge troll. At most dropzones fun jumpers help catch or shag tandems because the instructors are their friends and are fellow jumpers. The tandems keep the big plain flying and two ply in the porta-poties. Have a little respect.:D

To answer the OP when you are catching alone grab one toggle and run with it until the brake line is pulled until it is fully collapsed. It is very frustrating to have some one run out, grab a toggle and then run pull it while I yell and them to go and run all while getting pulled backwards!

Also try to anticipate being along side the tandem so the instructor doesn't have to worry about a collision course.

Edited by DougH

I cannot begin to count how many tandems I’ve “ caught” literally in the thousands. Here’s what works best for me. I gage where the tandem is going to land. Then I place myself slightly downwind of that point. ( you can get really good at this) & look over my right shoulder to see what if any adjustments are needed.  I start running forward towards the touch down point before they touch down and Then reach out and snag the toggle As they touch down while remaining in motion . Think baton pass. It’s takes good timing and is teamwork between you and the TM but it works great. If you’re standing there facing the incoming tandem & then have to pivot to pull the toggle, you’re already behind the power curve. 

• Like 1

When catching tandems, I just stand quietly on the edge of the pea gravel bowl until just before they touch down. Then I grab one toggle and run into the wind until the canopy collapses. If steering line cascades get pulled through steering guide rings ... so be it. The primary goal was accomplished by not dragging across the DZ.

When I am in the TI's seat, I usually ask students to grab toggles and wait until told, then pull them down to crotch level and continue holding them down. Meanwhile, I reach back, over my head to grab another yard (metre) of steering line to collapse the canopy even quicker.

(edited)
On 7/5/2020 at 8:34 PM, DougH said:

Spoken like a true bridge troll. At most dropzones fun jumpers help catch or shag tandems because the instructors are their friends and are fellow jumpers. The tandems keep the big plain flying and two ply in the porta-poties. Have a little respect.:D

I have never seen a fun jumper catch a tandem and I have jumped at pretty much all the legit DZs that exist. Anyway, respect is earned, not given. You dont get it just because you think you're entitled to it and from my parts TIs cause far more problems than they solve. I have seen TIs get into fist fights with fun jumpers over absolutely retarded crap. I've also seen them show up hung over and late for work for like the 4th day in a row and get pissed when they get sent home as they dont understand why showing up late and hungover to work is a problem....

Edited by Westerly

Westerly, overwhelming people with sheer volume of ignorance is not an effective trolling technique. Where's the subtlety??

To be a good troll, you need to get people to respond, right? In that post, there's just too much for anyone to even know where to start with a response.

We all know you can do better than that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, flying_phish said:

Westerly, overwhelming people with sheer volume of ignorance is not an effective trolling technique.

There is an incredible level of vileness in her comment. Poor Westerly, she must have been passed around and then dumped by the tandem staff at her home DZ. Then at all the other legit DZs she tried to peddle herself at as well!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

There is an incredible level of vileness in her comment. Poor Westerly, she must have been passed around and then dumped by the tandem staff at her home DZ. Then at all the other legit DZs she tried to peddle herself at as well!

yep that's it. I banged all the TIs at all the DZs. that's why I know personally how much they suck, both in bed and in all other respects.