bamber

Static Line or AFF?

bamber

Which is safer for a beginner, the static line or AFF jump?
Can an instructor jump with a student to help in a static line jump?

Just depends. A Static Line jump is simpler. You don't learn free fall skills right off the bat, it's all about being stable during deployment and flying your canopy to a safe landing.

However, it is a dying discipline. Most of the busy DZs don't teach that method. Not all of the C182 DZs teach it either.

AFF will throw a lot at you, there's more to learn and master, and for some people it can be a little overwhelming. But the learning curve is higher too.

To each their own. But as to your last question, yes, the instructor can jump out after you if he/she doesn't have other students to jumpmaster. Mine jumped after me and got on the ground first ahead of time and guided me in on my first few jumps.

Even if an IAD instructor jumps after you, there is no "helping" you.

Skydiving is a sport centered on personal responsibility. You cannot rely on anyone else to help or do it for you, whether you choose IAD or AFF. Yes, in AFF, instructors are with you until pull time, once your parachute is deployed however, it is on YOU to react, deal with any possible malfunctions, steer and land.

If you want to jump with an instructor there to help, do a tandem first. Deciding to become a student jumper needs to come with the understanding that no one is going to be able to take all the risk away or be there to help when/if shit hits the fan.

bamber

I think the risk is about the same.

Keep in mind that on an AFF jump, once the pilot chute has been tossed, you're on your own. The instructors are there for the exit and freefall, but once you deploy, they are no longer able to be there.

Static line is similar in that respect: No freefall, and once you let go of the plane, the canopy will open by itself (at least it should) and you are on your own.

For both types, if there is a malfunction on opening (or any other problem under canopy), you need to recognize it, decide on the proper course of action and take that action.

You also need to fly back to the landing area, set up your landing pattern and land. There is usually radio assistance for this part, both for S/L & AFF.

The only sort of jump that has an instructor with you the entire time is a tandem.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

bamber

I would say SL is safer....its a simpler type of jump, less to process for the jumper equals better awareness levels. Progression is in smaller, easier to manage stages.

Also, its cheaper, and a SL student can be jumping when AFF students are grounded due to cloud cover.

Once out the door, you are on your own, more so if your radio fails.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....