airdvr

Gotcha media snags a Harvard grad

(edited)
22 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Photo deleted in an effort to not spread bullshit

The person in the photograph got up and walked away after being assaulted.  He is not dead.   Please delete your post in an effort against disinformation. 

https://factcheck.afp.com/posts-falsely-claim-attack-killed-man-oregon-during-george-floyd-protests

Edited by DJL

1 hour ago, normiss said:

Facts, not feels. Always the right approach.

I have noticed a lot of this on Facebook lately.

"The guy who killed George Floyd was a DEMOCRAT!  DEMOCRAT!  DEMOCRAT!   Who worked for DEMOCRATS!  And was supported by DEMOCRAT!  And DEMOCRATS love him!  But you won't hear that on the lying liberal media."
"Uh, actually, he's a registered Republican."
"Well, uh - that doesn't really matter.  Because the REST of the post is 100% correct!  Why is the media ignoring it?"

"Here's a video of a black thug smashing car windows, in the BLM crime wave that's sweeping America!"
"Look at the license plates.  That's in Europe."
"That's just a detail.  What's important is that it is HAPPENING!"

And now - 

"Here's a guy who was MURDERED by a violent killer!  Find him for the FBI!"
"He's not dead; he got up and walked away."
"Still just as bad!"

6 minutes ago, billvon said:

"The guy who killed George Floyd was a DEMOCRAT!  DEMOCRAT!  DEMOCRAT!   Who worked for DEMOCRATS!  And was supported by DEMOCRAT!  And DEMOCRATS love him!  But you won't hear that on the lying liberal media."
"Well, uh - that doesn't really matter.  Because the REST of the post is 100% correct!  Why is the media ignoring it?"

"Here's a video of a black thug smashing car windows, in the BLM crime wave that's sweeping America!"

And now - 

"Still just as bad!"

The mansion thugs and their story is also pretty similar. Lies, disinformation, deflection.

I fear Trump, McConnell, Barr, and the like have contagious personality behavior. It's spreading across the country. It seems people just refuse to accept the truth to the point of twisting, bending, modifying, even attacking all factual evidence to fit their perspective and goals.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billvon said:

And now - 

"Still just as bad!"

"89 police murdered by rioters." (According to Ron)

Seriously, the information of the world is literally at our fingertips.  How can people be so incredibly lazy with the bullshit they perpetuate.

17 minutes ago, DJL said:

Seriously, the information of the world is literally at our fingertips.  How can people be so incredibly lazy with the bullshit they perpetuate.

Well, it would be hard to maintain a worldview like Ron's if you had good information available to you.  Too much cognitive dissonance.

3 hours ago, DJL said:

The person in the photograph got up and walked away after being assaulted.  He is not dead.   Please delete your post in an effort against disinformation. 

Looks like the gotcha right wing snagged a right wing DZ.com poster.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

Hi DJL,

I'm not so concerned about those who post this crap as I am about those that believe it.

Something about 'There's a sucker born every minute.'

Jerry Baumchen

4 hours ago, normiss said:

The mansion thugs and their story is also pretty similar. Lies, disinformation, deflection.

I fear Trump, McConnell, Barr, and the like have contagious personality behavior. It's spreading across the country. It seems people just refuse to accept the truth to the point of twisting, bending, modifying, even attacking all factual evidence to fit their perspective and goals.

So what is the truth here?  Is the truth that he didn't die after a viscous beating?  Is that what's important to you?  

9 minutes ago, airdvr said:

So what is the truth here?  Is the truth that he didn't die after a viscous beating?  Is that what's important to you?  

No - what's important is that they prove a conservative wrong.

I don't remember anyone but you stating how horrible it was that the guy was beaten and kicked. 

Had to be a reason right - he must have been conservative, right?  so that makes it ok.

We'll just gloss over the animalistic nature of the beating and kicking - lets focus on the meme that said he was dead.  Lets still focus on it - regardless of the intent of the perpetrator, regardless that the OP corrected himself.

It makes me sick.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Nope.  The truth is pretty important, actually.  To some of us, at least.

Reality exists.  It is an excellent starting point for any valid discussion.  Lately a lot of conservatives have been posting falsehoods, things like:

"The guy who killed George Floyd was a democrat."
"Here's a video of a thug (black person) smashing windows in the US."
"There are no white supremacist organizations in the US."

"75% of black kids have no fathers."
"Here's a guy who was murdered."

In each case, when someone pointed out that that was not true, the response is always the same - "well OK what I posted maybe isn't true but isn't the GIST of what I posted correct?  I mean, why can't you ignore all my falsehoods, and instead discuss what I wanted to discuss using those lies as support?"

So the next time you see a conservative meme with bloody pictures, or one that shows that blacks are all irresponsible, or one that makes a claim about the stupid liberals, check it first.  THEN once you know it's real, post it and claim it's true.  If not, then you are posting lies, and trying to have an honest discussion after you post a lie is like hitting someone in the face, then demanding an end to the violence.

Or (here's an idea) ditch the conservative memes and just say what you believe.  You are the foremost expert here on never saying what you believe; you just post memes and say "interesting!"  That way you can never be called on your beliefs since you can always claim that someone is misinterpreting them.  Instead of doing that, why not post about what you want to talk about, and what you think about it?  It would save dozens of posts.

(And yes, as the obligatory caveat, the left does this too sometimes.  But over the past few months it's been hugely one sided.  The right isn't even trying any more - claiming that Trump's rally was tremendously successful, COVID is dying out etc.  It may be tempting to adopt the approach of Trump and simply lie often enough that people believe you, but in today's world of being able to check anything in 30 seconds, it really doesn't work.)

(edited)
6 hours ago, DJL said:

It's called 'propaganda'.

Tell lies, get people to belive them, gain power, tell more lies.

It's worked pretty fucking good for Trump so far.

No. WHATEVER the truth is, that's what's important.

Trump and his minions scream 'FAKE NEWSall the time.

Yet they spread the most outrageous lies.

Trump lies ALL THE TIME ABOUT EVERYTHING.

His followers then spread the lies and deny the truth.

It's called 'gaslighting' and it's despicable. 

As I noted above, it's propaganda, pure and simple.

And it's destroying the country.

Edited by wolfriverjoe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

??

The truth is what happened. Do you think truth is not important?

(edited)
2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Oh spare us your biased sanctimonious bullshit. He posted something that was factually incorrect and this was pointed out to him, and I can't for the life of me figure out why you're both whining about it. In my experience it's pretty much always a good thing to be in possession of more facts.

I don't remember anyone but you stating how horrible it was that the guy was beaten and kicked. 

This is not true.

Had to be a reason right - he must have been conservative, right?  so that makes it ok.

Well thank goodness you managed to bat those crocodile tears away and hijack the incident for a political hit of your own. God forbid you'd be posting out of genuine concern for the man and not just cheap point scoring.

Edited by jakee