5 5
Greekos

Sabre 3

(edited)
1 hour ago, CoolBeans said:

That's what I found so far, simple review from somebody who did 2 jumps on it :)

I don't like that he didn't say the size of the wing or the WL, he only said it was "lightly loaded" (which could mean anything from 1.0 to 1.5 I guess). When he said the fronts were heavy, not sure if he meant compared to Sabre 2 on the same WL or heavy in general.

Edit: In the comments he said it was 170ft at 1.2 WL.

Edited by Binary93

It seems that saber 3 is not using shuman platform that was used in all those new crossfire and safire 3.. Not like i know much but that shuman platform seems to be new approach to canopy design so i kinda disapointed not to see that in new saber

4 hours ago, JumpRu said:

shuman platform that was used in all those new crossfire and safire 3.

As far as I can see, neither crossfire 3 or safire 3 are schuemann planform.

X-Fire by Icarus World is, Echo by FluidWings looks like it, not sure if there are any other non-crossbraced with schuemann.

(edited)

The major characteristic of the schuemann planform is elliptical leading edge and a straight trailing edge. If you look at Leia, Petra or Valkyrie for example, as well as many paragliders, you'll notice those. It provides higher lift at lower speeds (so it also stalls later).

Powerband is something else: https://www.nzaerosports.com/helpnsupport/what-is-a-powerband/

Edit: Planform is outline of the wing projected onto horizontal plane.

This is a photo of a Valkyrie:

Valkyrie-1415730795_310x310.jpg

Edited by Binary93

34 minutes ago, Matija said:

They don't state that anywhere on their website. 
https://skylarkparachutes.com/odyssey-evo/

Also, by looking at photos, it looks similar to "fully elliptical" canopies such as NZA Crossfire 2/3.

No they don't and pictures they have are not at an angle to see the planform, but it is schuemann - ody.jpeg.aa08eaa73a5437c6da6e585dac5d012f.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 8:55 AM, lyosha said:

Would you really call it "non-crossbraced" though?

Yes, I would. Directly from their website:

"Odyssey Evo is a great example of how Evo platform raises the bar for non-cross-braced canopies to the level of ultra high performance wings". 

I have to note here that what they refer to "ultra high performance" mainly applies to high wingloading over 2 and even closer to 2.5. This wing is a great stepping stone to CB canopies and flies great at lower WL around 1.8-2.0 (I fly it at 1.8 and that's exactly why I went with this canopy). IMHO there is no point in loading it lower than that. From what I know so far this wing loves to be loaded though and full potential is realized at high WL.

Anybody fly the Sabre 3, compared to the Sabre 2 at high loading, around 1.8?

ive been at a Sabre 2 120 at 1.8 for a few years now.   Thinking about next canopy being crossfire 3 or now Sabre 3 at 2.0.

yes the sa 3 looks the same shape as the 2, but with the tail ribs.

crossfire 3 has the more elliptical shape. 

Any input from anyone flying these at higher WL?

4 hours ago, richoH said:

A velocity is squarer than a sabre2. There's more to this than just how oval the parachute is.

Judging by the line trim charts, definitely not. The velocity has a way more "curvy" trailing edge, and that's why the D lines are missing on the 3 and 4 groups (the 2 groups closer to the sides of the canopy, there the profile is narrower than in the middle due to the curvature of the trailing edge).

But the bottom line is totally true, there is much more to a canopy than it's planform.

(edited)
4 hours ago, richoH said:

A velocity is squarer than a sabre2. There's more to this than just how oval the parachute is.

image.png.ff85c2585b4c8438cf53c22292ea9a0c.png

From the video: 

Edit: Here's the "more detailed video" he references:

Edited by Binary93
Added the second link
  • Like 1

Very informative and interesting video. 

“The velocity is squarer than the Sabre 2”. Another valuable piece of mis information.

there is a lot more to just the planform, those 5 other things, plus the magic stuff.

I mainly wanted to put feelers out to help me make the decision for my next canopy. I’ve been on the Sabre 2 from 210 down to 120, so I will prolly just stick with PD, but I was open to the crossfire 3 as well.  

On 8/3/2020 at 4:08 AM, Binary93 said:

image.png.ff85c2585b4c8438cf53c22292ea9a0c.png

From the video: 

Edit: Here's the "more detailed video" he references:

Thankyou for following up! I'm now super curious how I arrived at this belief, from memory we laid some of the demo canopies from PD over each other, and on the ol' anecdata butt dyno a velo *definitely* doesn't look as oval as that diagram staring at it from below.

I appreciate the correction though, cheers.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 4:34 PM, bsrodeo540 said:

No they don't and pictures they have are not at an angle to see the planform, but it is schuemann -

[...]

It doesn't look a "Schuemann" to me, but honestly it's really hard to say just from a picture without inspecting the canopy.   

Well here I am, almost 2 years later, on a Sabre 3 107 at 2.0.

It’s definitely faster and longer recovery than my S2 120, as to be expected.

openings are marginally better than the 2’s.

good flare power.  Good canopy.  I’ll be on this for a while.  

• Like 2