1 1
Phil1111

The 2020 Election trump v. Biden

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

This is what I was saying back in May.

Trump doesn't 'lose'. It's just not in his psychological makeup, and the Republican senate have shown themselves to be animals who are purely after power. My one hope was that the Supreme Court might actually do their job, but it's looking like that's getting staked with people who are more interested in my team vs your team than 'America'.

That was WITHOUT the consideration of people like Ron actually taking to the streets, armed and looking for 'enemies'. 

At that point it comes down to the military - and that's when the US fractures and becomes a true banana republic.

8 hours ago, yoink said:

Trump doesn't 'lose'. It's just not in his psychological makeup, and the Republican senate have shown themselves to be animals who are purely after power. My one hope was that the Supreme Court might actually do their job, but it's looking like that's getting staked with people who are more interested in my team vs your team than 'America'.

That was WITHOUT the consideration of people like Ron actually taking to the streets, armed and looking for 'enemies'. 

At that point it comes down to the military - and that's when the US fractures and becomes a true banana republic.

8 hours ago, yoink said:

Are you a Qanon believer?

This is just as far fetched.

11 hours ago, yoink said:

Actually. The article is more about getting Republican controlled states to assign electors not necessarily guided by popular vote. This paragraph sums it up:

We are accustomed to choosing electors by popular vote, but nothing in the Constitution says it has to be that way. Article II provides that each state shall appoint electors “in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct.” Since the late 19th century, every state has ceded the decision to its voters. Even so, the Supreme Court affirmed in Bush v. Gore that a state “can take back the power to appoint electors.” How and when a state might do so has not been tested for well over a century.

The gist of it goes like this:

1. In the last several elections, it has become common for democratic candidates to gain votes as absentee/mail-in ballots are counted, which often is up to a few days after election day.  Generally this does not change the outcome, but in some recent elections the republican candidate is ahead (by a bit) on election day, but this changed as absentee ballots are counted.  The situation is likely to be more extreme this election as (1) most democratic voters (60% by one recent poll) plan to vote by mail due to the pandemic.  That means more ballots to count, which will delay the final tally.  On the other hand most republicans plan to vote in person (only 28% mail-in by the same poll), so republican candidates are likely to be leading on Nov 3.

2. The Trump campaign (assisted by Barr) has been trying to discredit mail-in voting.  The idea is both to get as many ballots disqualified due to trivial errors such as not having a second "privacy envelope", on the theory that this will disqualify more democrats than republican voters.  However the basic idea is to create confusion and then use that confusion to try to get all mail-in ballots thrown out.

3. Also they plan to go to court to get counting stopped on Nov. 3.  Even if you filled in your ballot correctly and mailed it in lots of time, it will be disqualified if it is not opened and counted on Nov 3.  This is very likely to affect lots of votes because of the increased volume of mail-in ballots, the lack of resources to hire enough people to count them all quickly, and in some states there are laws to prevent mail-in ballots to be counted before Nov. 3.  Even if they are received weeks before Nov 3 they will just sit unopened.

4. If all of the above does not produce a vote for Trump, they will go to court to argue the votes are so "tainted" they cannot be trusted, so they should all be thrown out (in-person and mail-in) and state legislatures should choose electors for the electoral college.  Since slightly more states have republican legislatures, this should ensure a Trump victory.

5. There are a few states with republican controlled legislatures but democratic governors.  In such a case the legislature can choose a set of electors, but so can the governor.  However no state can send two sets of electors.  In the event of a dispute, who gets to choose what set of electors to count?  Why, the president of the Senate, who happens to be Mike Pence.  Any guesses which set of electors is counted?

The article goes on to discuss even more scenarios, all terrifying for the future of our country and all quite probable with this president.  Things like using protests to send in troops in democratic-leaning cities to close the streets so voters can't get to the polls.  Or worse things like inviting "citizen militias" to police polling stations and keep out "suspicious looking troublemakers".  And on and on.

I had planned on voting by mail, but now I am thinking about voting in person, but early to avoid some of the crowded lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgiaDon said:

The gist of it goes like this:

1. In the last several elections, it has become common for democratic candidates to gain votes as absentee/mail-in ballots are counted, which often is up to a few days after election day.  Generally this does not change the outcome, but in some recent elections the republican candidate is ahead (by a bit) on election day, but this changed as absentee ballots are counted.  The situation is likely to be more extreme this election as (1) most democratic voters (60% by one recent poll) plan to vote by mail due to the pandemic.  That means more ballots to count, which will delay the final tally.  On the other hand most republicans plan to vote in person (only 28% mail-in by the same poll), so republican candidates are likely to be leading on Nov 3.

2. The Trump campaign (assisted by Barr) has been trying to discredit mail-in voting.  The idea is both to get as many ballots disqualified due to trivial errors such as not having a second "privacy envelope", on the theory that this will disqualify more democrats than republican voters.  However the basic idea is to create confusion and then use that confusion to try to get all mail-in ballots thrown out.

3. Also they plan to go to court to get counting stopped on Nov. 3.  Even if you filled in your ballot correctly and mailed it in lots of time, it will be disqualified if it is not opened and counted on Nov 3.  This is very likely to affect lots of votes because of the increased volume of mail-in ballots, the lack of resources to hire enough people to count them all quickly, and in some states there are laws to prevent mail-in ballots to be counted before Nov. 3.  Even if they are received weeks before Nov 3 they will just sit unopened.

4. If all of the above does not produce a vote for Trump, they will go to court to argue the votes are so "tainted" they cannot be trusted, so they should all be thrown out (in-person and mail-in) and state legislatures should choose electors for the electoral college.  Since slightly more states have republican legislatures, this should ensure a Trump victory.

5. There are a few states with republican controlled legislatures but democratic governors.  In such a case the legislature can choose a set of electors, but so can the governor.  However no state can send two sets of electors.  In the event of a dispute, who gets to choose what set of electors to count?  Why, the president of the Senate, who happens to be Mike Pence.  Any guesses which set of electors is counted?

The article goes on to discuss even more scenarios, all terrifying for the future of our country and all quite probable with this president.  Things like using protests to send in troops in democratic-leaning cities to close the streets so voters can't get to the polls.  Or worse things like inviting "citizen militias" to police polling stations and keep out "suspicious looking troublemakers".  And on and on.

I had planned on voting by mail, but now I am thinking about voting in person, but early to avoid some of the crowded lines.

Hi Don,

Re:  ' That means more ballots to count, which will delay the final tally.'

In Oregon* our mail-in ballots are counted when they are received.

I will get my ballot about 15 Oct.  I expect to mail it in about 18-19 Oct.  I expect it to be counted about 22-23 Oct.

YMMV

Jerry Baumchen

* The state with best voting system in this country.

Naw, his base isn’t crumbling. I only have to look at my FB feed to see that. 

But every person who decides not to be part of it reduces the chance of his being re elected, or of his objecting to the results as illegitimate. Defeat is plenty. We don’t need the “fuck you” lagniappe. 

Wendy P. 

I keep reading about more prominent Rs making announcements that they will be voting for Biden. This can only be because they have decided that the dotard is going to lose and that now is the time to position themselves for a Trumpless future.

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Tonight Trump not only refused to condemn white supremacy, he told a neo-fascist terrorist group to "stand by."

At least we know where he stands.

Absolutely you know where he stands.  As opposed to the typical pol being subjected to handlers and having everything they say scrubbed.

Somehow you still think there's a difference.

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Absolutely you know where he stands.  As opposed to the typical pol being subjected to handlers and having everything they say scrubbed.

Somehow you still think there's a difference.

So then, your position is that yes, Trump is a racist. But it's okay with you because he is honest about being a racist. What do you think that says about you, and yours?

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

So then, your position is that yes, Trump is a racist. But it's okay with you because he is honest about being a racist. What do you think that says about you, and yours?

I've said it before.  I am a human racist.  Fucktards come in all colors and sizes.

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

And.....it's ok with you to have a fucktard POTUS then.

Most all of the POTUS in my lifetime have been fucktards, with the possible exception of Carter...but I think his case shows that you need to be a fucktard to be an effective POTUS.

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Most all of the POTUS in my lifetime have been fucktards, with the possible exception of Carter...but I think his case shows that you need to be a fucktard to be an effective POTUS.

Well then, maybe you can see different levels of "fucktardness". On a scale of 1 to 10 what level is say Bush, Obama, and Trump at?