1 1
Phil1111

The 2020 Election trump v. Biden

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Yes.

I have a fundamental disagreement with voting for a guy and letting the party dictate who his replacement will be because he's likely not going to make it mentally or physically, or both.

Can you imagine what the left would say if we the RNC did that?

I don't think its called the Vice presidential replacement election, do you?

You the RNC - the truth is out.

Besides, you claim to have read the Constitution.  But did you understand it?

34 minutes ago, kallend said:

You the RNC - the truth is out.

Besides, you claim to have read the Constitution.  But did you understand it?

What about respecting and following it? Never mind its a rhetorical question as we all now know he's the RNC/GOP. As such the constitution is merely a part of the propaganda for the suppression of the masses.

12 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Yes.

I have a fundamental disagreement with voting for a guy and letting the party dictate who his replacement will be because he's likely not going to make it mentally or physically, or both.

Can you imagine what the left would say if we the RNC did that?

I don't think its called the Vice presidential replacement election, do you?

What are you talking about? How is that at all relevant to the conversation?

31 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I’m listening to Joe speak right now. If the R party was hoping he would sound weak and feeble they are going to be disappointed.

I caught the end of Joe, then Mamala started speaking and I was intrigued and could totally see her as president - but then Kamala took the stage with the same old talking points and started comparing Covid to Ebola and she lost me.  I just turned the channel - I liked Mamala much better.

It doesn't matter who told more lies, who insulted more reporters, who grabbed more pussies, who had more "unintended consequence" BS excuses for me to say that they just can't be trusted.  I can't see myself voting for any of them - and whichever side loses, certainly deserves it.

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

I caught the end of Joe, then Mamala started speaking and I was intrigued and could totally see her as president - but then Kamala took the stage with the same old talking points and started comparing Covid to Ebola and she lost me.  I just turned the channel - I liked Mamala much better.

It doesn't matter who told more lies, who insulted more reporters, who grabbed more pussies, who had more "unintended consequence" BS excuses for me to say that they just can't be trusted.  I can't see myself voting for any of them - and whichever side loses, certainly deserves it.

I'll better that and say that whomever wins doesn't deserve it either.

Mike Pense, Red Meat and Q

The US has "progressed" quite a ways in the last 33/4 years. After fits and starts about trump's campaign messaging Pense has come out with a new message to appeal to his base. One of critical importance to America.

Yesterday trump started another birther fantasy conspiracy to appeal to the ignorant. That Pamela Harris is not an American. This goes hand in hand with active GOP support for the Q movement.

But the other new messaging of importance during a recession and pandemic is red meat. Mrs. Harris stated that she wanted to amend the food guide with regards to red meat consumption. So Pense and the trump campaign are going to save American red meat consumption. Heaven forbid that trump might miss his Big Mac on AF #1.

This is the GOP in 2020 with 80 days and counting. Its supporters must be proud.

Oh and the elephant in the china shop is the pandemic with 167,000 dead.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:49 PM, Coreece said:

I caught the end of Joe, then Mamala started speaking and I was intrigued and could totally see her as president - but then Kamala took the stage with the same old talking points and started comparing Covid to Ebola and she lost me.

What did you not understand about that?

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

But the other new messaging of importance during a recession and pandemic is red meat. Mrs. Harris stated that she wanted to amend the food guide with regards to red meat consumption. So Pense and the trump campaign are going to save American red meat consumption. Heaven forbid that trump might miss his Big Mac on AF #1.

When you watch the video clip of VP Pence talking about that, you would swear you are watching a parody.

37 minutes ago, billvon said:
On 8/12/2020 at 5:49 PM, Coreece said:

I caught the end of Joe, then Mamala started speaking and I was intrigued and could totally see her as president - but then Kamala took the stage with the same old talking points and started comparing Covid to Ebola and she lost me.

What did you not understand about that?

She didn't lose me because I didn't understand what she was trying to do.  She lost me because it was a dumb comparison.

Fauci - "Ebola was scary, but Ebola would never be easily transmitted," Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said. Ebola outbreaks are also always highly local.

26 minutes ago, Coreece said:

She didn't lose me because I didn't understand what she was trying to do.  She lost me because it was a dumb comparison.

Fauci - "Ebola was scary, but Ebola would never be easily transmitted," Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said. Ebola outbreaks are also always highly local.

Not dumb. Trump stated that if Ebola even caused 1 death in the US Obama should resign. What is dumb is Republicans not holding to that sentiment with 170,000 dead and climbing. A chunk of those dead are due to the current president's mismanagement of the pandemic.

But hey, Benghazi and buttery males right......

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Not dumb.

Yes it was, and you fell for it.

8 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Yes it was, and you fell for it.

I’d agree there. Highly disingenuous to suggest that containing Ebola is the same as containing COVID, and the US did make a lot of the same mistakes with Ebola as they have with COVID. 

The more salient point is that a lot of effort was then put into learning what went wrong and how to fix it before Trump came along and dismantled all of the solutions, guaranteeing that the same mistakes would be made when they really didn’t have to be.

• Like 1

I'd agree that it wasn't a good comparison. Covid-19 is a far more difficult challenge. But Trump achieved next to nothing in the face of it.

15 minutes ago, jakee said:

guaranteeing that the same mistakes would be made

Not only that, but he liked doubling down on them. I really don't get why.

On 8/12/2020 at 11:52 PM, turtlespeed said:

I'll better that and say that whomever wins doesn't deserve it either.

If Trump managed to control Covid-19 much more successfully, he would absolutely deserve re-election. However I think you're just looking for a way to "both sides" this issue...

3 hours ago, Coreece said:

Right.  So if you didn't take action you might see tens of thousands dead, since it's deadly but hard to catch.  In Western Africa, for example, there were 28,600 cases and 11,325 deaths - a death rate of about 40% but an Ro number close to 1.  (Best estimate I saw was 1.5)

The population of Western Africa is about 370M - very close to the population of the US.  (about 330M.)  So taking a Trumpian approach to Ebola we would have seen a death toll of about 10,000; less than the flu every year, but significant.

Actual death toll in the US, given the US's very aggressive response?  One.  Had we taken that approach with SARS-CoV-2 we would now look a lot like New Zealand or Thailand - maybe 40,000 infected and 1200 dead, with the pandemic ending in four or five months.  Instead we are at 5 million cases and 170,000 dead - and still climbing.

And that is an excellent example of why you should take pandemics seriously.

23 minutes ago, billvon said:

Actual death toll in the US, given the US's very aggressive response?  One.  Had we taken that approach with SARS-CoV-2 we would now look a lot like New Zealand or Thailand - maybe 40,000 infected and 1200 dead

Maybe on fantasy Island.  Even the Trump Death Clock is way more generous than that.

I mean what would that type of response have looked like, and when would it have needed to be implemented?  And who would've bought it?  Even you were down playing it somewhat at the end of February/beginning of March with your comparison to the Flu, while others were arguing how Trump was overreacting by shutting down the airlines.

23 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Maybe on fantasy Island.  Even the Trump Death Clock is way more generous than that.

That's because the Trump Death Clock assumes that Trump started pushing mitigation measures one week sooner.  Had we started three weeks sooner we would have seen a much higher reduction.  (That geometric growth thing.)

I mean what would that type of response have looked like, and when would it have needed to be implemented?  And who would've bought it?  Even you were down playing it somewhat at the end of February/beginning of March with your comparison to the Flu, while others were arguing how Trump was overreacting by shutting down the airlines.

On Jan 14 the WHO said there was a possibility of limited person to person transmission.  On Jan 20 they said there was "very clear" evidence the virus was communicable between people.  At that point the government should have gone full throttle into mitigation measures - getting PPE prepared, developing and ramping up test kits, ordering respirators.  The US Pandemic Response Team should have been pushing all this starting that day.  Instead Trump waited until Feb 24th to request any money from Congress to respond to the threat.

What would it have looked like?  Airport screenings with mandatory quarantines starting Jan 21.  Instead, limited screening at only 8 airports was not implemented until Feb 2.  And from firsthand reports, it was a joke - even at those 8 airports people were flying in from Asia and walking through customs without any screening at all.  One airport distributed flyers (in English) that said "if you are sick stay inside until you are better" and let everyone go.

We didn't even start recommending masks until April 3.  With less political pressure on the CDC to pretend there was no problem, that would have started a lot sooner.  And once we made that recommendation, a better president would have put all his weight behind that recommendation, rather than behaving like a bully being forced to tender an apology he didn't want to give.

Imagine the difference it would have made, for example, if Trump had pushed mask usage.  More than 50% of his tweets are attacking political enemies and people he perceived slighted him.  Imagine if he had taken all of those angry tweets and directed them at people not wearing masks.  People would be unified behind mask usage, instead of people proudly not wearing one to prove their allegiance to the president.

Who would have bought it?  All Trump supporters - if Trump himself pushed it as hard as he could.  Instead we have 38% of the people in the US refusing to take precautions because the president doesn't really support them, and they want to prove they are proud supporters.

(edited)

Stephen Miller a new book.Or more properly a book released about him. He is the sole non-family survivor of trump's original band of miscreants. Below a NPR review.

"Stephen Miller is the architect of Donald Trump's extreme policies on immigration.

And leaked emails have shown him pushing white-power ideology cloaked in pseudo-science.

So how did an affluent kid from the California suburbs — who liked mobster movies and wore gold chains — get on the path that led him to where he is now?

Jean Guerrero's new book Hatemonger: Stephen Miller, Donald Trump, and the White Nationalist Agendaspacer.pngfollows Miller through a conservative media landscape where key figures — including right-wing radio talk-show host Larry Elder; David Horowitz, who founded the David Horowitz Freedom Center; and former Breitbart chief Steve Bannon — propelled the rise of a man who now influences who gets to be an American."

From Politico: Stephen Miller Is an Immigration Hypocrite. I Know Because I’m His Uncle.

"Let me tell you a story about Stephen Miller and chain migration.

It begins at the turn of the 20th century, in a dirt-floor shack in the village of Antopol, a shtetl of subsistence farmers in what is now Belarus. Beset by violent anti-Jewish pogroms and forced childhood conscription in the Czar’s army, the patriarch of the shack, Wolf-Leib Glosser, fled a village where his forebears had lived for centuries and took his chances in America.

Edited by Phil1111

14 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Stephen Miller a new book.Or more properly a book released about him. He is the sole non-family survivor of trump's original band of miscreants. Below a NPR review.

"Stephen Miller is the architect of Donald Trump's extreme policies on immigration.

And leaked emails have shown him pushing white-power ideology cloaked in pseudo-science.

So how did an affluent kid from the California suburbs — who liked mobster movies and wore gold chains — get on the path that led him to where he is now?

Jean Guerrero's new book Hatemonger: Stephen Miller, Donald Trump, and the White Nationalist Agendaspacer.png

Miller reminds me of The Mekon.

mekon.jpg

On 8/1/2020 at 11:44 PM, Phil1111 said:

No. Because a moderator won't call out lies. Won't cut off the mike of a candidate lying. Won't berate a candidate for not answering or side stepping the question. Every debate deals with these issues but trump is incapable of giving a straight truthful answer to a straight question. Even under oath.

Actually, I want to start with a host (network, facility, moderator) who enforces the rules. Trump infamously threw tantrums if he didn't get a center lectern in the early primaries, then talked over the opponents' responses.  He did the same thing (talked over Clinton's responses, went well over time, didn't yield, invaded her personal space) during the presidential debates.  The media focused on it because it fell under the "oddity" characteristic of "nature of news," but then let it go on. 

If the guest you invited to your event (debate) doesn't follow the rules after repeated requests to do so, then you turn off the damn mic and give your other guest(s) the courtesy of their own allotted time to respond.  

That's actually the one possible upside to doing the debates virtually.  Only un-mute the candidate who officially has the floor.  If they go a little over (as is inevitable), that gets a warning like usual.  Once they have used up the grace period, shut them off.  They'll adjust pretty quickly when it happens.