1 1
Phil1111

The 2020 Election trump v. Biden

23 hours ago, nigel99 said:

I know. Due to bias you will never vote Democrat as you’ll go out of your way to see the issues. Whether you vote for Trump or not you will defend and continue to defend him to the bitter end. I get the feeling your “I’m not voting Trump” is simply leaving a back door open if in the future his behaviour comes back to bite him, Trump who...?

I will not vote for, or put my energy into Biden.

He's the wrong choice.

Even Kamala knows it, and said so - she called it the Harris Administration.

I won't vote for them and their schemes.

On 9/11/2020 at 11:24 PM, yoink said:

Do you want a mental defective who will listen to the experts he surrounds himself with, or a mental defective who thinks he knows more and is more intelligent than anyone else and will do what his gut tells him, regardless of what his experts advise?

Its not even a trick question. 

Both choices suck. One is fucking stupid.

All while both sides are proclaiming the United States the best nation to ever have been created....

On 9/14/2020 at 9:31 PM, nigel99 said:

I know. Due to bias you will never vote Democrat as you’ll go out of your way to see the issues. Whether you vote for Trump or not you will defend and continue to defend him to the bitter end. I get the feeling your “I’m not voting Trump” is simply leaving a back door open if in the future his behaviour comes back to bite him, Trump who...?

I think it is just a lie.

On 9/14/2020 at 7:53 PM, Phil1111 said:

Anti-Hilliary, anti-Biden before there was a Biden then anti-Biden. Sure, thats what it is.

"The top communications official at the powerful cabinet department in charge of combating the coronavirus made outlandish and false accusations on Sunday that career government scientists were engaging in “sedition” in their handling of the pandemic and that left-wing hit squads were preparing for armed insurrection after the election.

Michael R. Caputo, the assistant secretary of public affairs at the Department of Health and Human Services, accused the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of harboring a “resistance unit” determined to undermine President Trump, even if that opposition bolsters the Covid-19 death toll.

Mr. Caputo, who has faced intense criticism for leading efforts to warp C.D.C. weekly bulletins to fit Mr. Trump’s pandemic narrative, suggested that he personally could be in danger from opponents of the administration. “If you carry guns, buy ammunition, ladies and gentlemen, because it’s going to be hard to get,” he urged his followers.

He went further, saying his physical health was in question, and his “mental health has definitely failed.

Your man/boy trump promised to hire only the best and there it is!

Caputo has gone on leave and his deputy has quit. Only the best people. 

Hi folks,

IMO another win for the people:  'Pennsylvania's Supreme Court extended the due date for mail ballots in the November election, a decision that will likely result in more votes being counted in the state'

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/17/pennsylvania-mail-ballot-deadline-extended-417044

Back in the 50's, the basement of my parents' house was a voting location.  They were not req'd to have the results in within any 24-hr period.  When they got things finished ( usually within ~48-hrs ), they reported the results.  I can still remember sitting there watching them count, argue, etc, over the ballots.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi folks ( again ),

And some more info:  'This guy has an unshakable base, but he has a pretty low ceiling.' *

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/16/trump-election-battleground-map-412726

Let's hope it stays as is & does not improve for him.

YMMV

Jerry Baumchen

*  an unshakable base  This is the part that I cannot get a grasp on.  Joe Biden was never my first choice; but, much better than our current idiot.

Judge blocks Michigan's ban on transporting voters to polls

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/judge-blocks-michigan-s-ban-transporting-voters-polls-n1240432

In Michigan, it is a misdemeanor to hire drivers to take voters to polling places unless they physically cannot walk. Because of the ban, Michigan was the only state in which ride-hailing company Uber did not offer discounted rides to the polls on Election Day in November 2018, according to the lawsuit.

[facepalm]

Edited by ryoder

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

So it seems Trump's scam to make the drug industry part of his re-election campaign, didn't work out:

A Deal on Drug Prices Undone by White House Insistence on ‘Trump Cards’

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/us/politics/trump-drug-prices.html

That would be so transparent you'd have to be an imbecile not to see through it.

But perfect for his "base".

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

This is what I was saying back in May.

Trump doesn't 'lose'. It's just not in his psychological makeup, and the Republican senate have shown themselves to be animals who are purely after power. My one hope was that the Supreme Court might actually do their job, but it's looking like that's getting staked with people who are more interested in my team vs your team than 'America'.

That was WITHOUT the consideration of people like Ron actually taking to the streets, armed and looking for 'enemies'. 

At that point it comes down to the military - and that's when the US fractures and becomes a true banana republic.

8 hours ago, yoink said:

Trump doesn't 'lose'. It's just not in his psychological makeup, and the Republican senate have shown themselves to be animals who are purely after power. My one hope was that the Supreme Court might actually do their job, but it's looking like that's getting staked with people who are more interested in my team vs your team than 'America'.

That was WITHOUT the consideration of people like Ron actually taking to the streets, armed and looking for 'enemies'. 

At that point it comes down to the military - and that's when the US fractures and becomes a true banana republic.

8 hours ago, yoink said:

Are you a Qanon believer?

This is just as far fetched.

11 hours ago, yoink said:

Actually. The article is more about getting Republican controlled states to assign electors not necessarily guided by popular vote. This paragraph sums it up:

We are accustomed to choosing electors by popular vote, but nothing in the Constitution says it has to be that way. Article II provides that each state shall appoint electors “in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct.” Since the late 19th century, every state has ceded the decision to its voters. Even so, the Supreme Court affirmed in Bush v. Gore that a state “can take back the power to appoint electors.” How and when a state might do so has not been tested for well over a century.

The gist of it goes like this:

1. In the last several elections, it has become common for democratic candidates to gain votes as absentee/mail-in ballots are counted, which often is up to a few days after election day.  Generally this does not change the outcome, but in some recent elections the republican candidate is ahead (by a bit) on election day, but this changed as absentee ballots are counted.  The situation is likely to be more extreme this election as (1) most democratic voters (60% by one recent poll) plan to vote by mail due to the pandemic.  That means more ballots to count, which will delay the final tally.  On the other hand most republicans plan to vote in person (only 28% mail-in by the same poll), so republican candidates are likely to be leading on Nov 3.

2. The Trump campaign (assisted by Barr) has been trying to discredit mail-in voting.  The idea is both to get as many ballots disqualified due to trivial errors such as not having a second "privacy envelope", on the theory that this will disqualify more democrats than republican voters.  However the basic idea is to create confusion and then use that confusion to try to get all mail-in ballots thrown out.

3. Also they plan to go to court to get counting stopped on Nov. 3.  Even if you filled in your ballot correctly and mailed it in lots of time, it will be disqualified if it is not opened and counted on Nov 3.  This is very likely to affect lots of votes because of the increased volume of mail-in ballots, the lack of resources to hire enough people to count them all quickly, and in some states there are laws to prevent mail-in ballots to be counted before Nov. 3.  Even if they are received weeks before Nov 3 they will just sit unopened.

4. If all of the above does not produce a vote for Trump, they will go to court to argue the votes are so "tainted" they cannot be trusted, so they should all be thrown out (in-person and mail-in) and state legislatures should choose electors for the electoral college.  Since slightly more states have republican legislatures, this should ensure a Trump victory.

5. There are a few states with republican controlled legislatures but democratic governors.  In such a case the legislature can choose a set of electors, but so can the governor.  However no state can send two sets of electors.  In the event of a dispute, who gets to choose what set of electors to count?  Why, the president of the Senate, who happens to be Mike Pence.  Any guesses which set of electors is counted?

The article goes on to discuss even more scenarios, all terrifying for the future of our country and all quite probable with this president.  Things like using protests to send in troops in democratic-leaning cities to close the streets so voters can't get to the polls.  Or worse things like inviting "citizen militias" to police polling stations and keep out "suspicious looking troublemakers".  And on and on.

I had planned on voting by mail, but now I am thinking about voting in person, but early to avoid some of the crowded lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgiaDon said:

The gist of it goes like this:

1. In the last several elections, it has become common for democratic candidates to gain votes as absentee/mail-in ballots are counted, which often is up to a few days after election day.  Generally this does not change the outcome, but in some recent elections the republican candidate is ahead (by a bit) on election day, but this changed as absentee ballots are counted.  The situation is likely to be more extreme this election as (1) most democratic voters (60% by one recent poll) plan to vote by mail due to the pandemic.  That means more ballots to count, which will delay the final tally.  On the other hand most republicans plan to vote in person (only 28% mail-in by the same poll), so republican candidates are likely to be leading on Nov 3.

2. The Trump campaign (assisted by Barr) has been trying to discredit mail-in voting.  The idea is both to get as many ballots disqualified due to trivial errors such as not having a second "privacy envelope", on the theory that this will disqualify more democrats than republican voters.  However the basic idea is to create confusion and then use that confusion to try to get all mail-in ballots thrown out.

3. Also they plan to go to court to get counting stopped on Nov. 3.  Even if you filled in your ballot correctly and mailed it in lots of time, it will be disqualified if it is not opened and counted on Nov 3.  This is very likely to affect lots of votes because of the increased volume of mail-in ballots, the lack of resources to hire enough people to count them all quickly, and in some states there are laws to prevent mail-in ballots to be counted before Nov. 3.  Even if they are received weeks before Nov 3 they will just sit unopened.

4. If all of the above does not produce a vote for Trump, they will go to court to argue the votes are so "tainted" they cannot be trusted, so they should all be thrown out (in-person and mail-in) and state legislatures should choose electors for the electoral college.  Since slightly more states have republican legislatures, this should ensure a Trump victory.

5. There are a few states with republican controlled legislatures but democratic governors.  In such a case the legislature can choose a set of electors, but so can the governor.  However no state can send two sets of electors.  In the event of a dispute, who gets to choose what set of electors to count?  Why, the president of the Senate, who happens to be Mike Pence.  Any guesses which set of electors is counted?

The article goes on to discuss even more scenarios, all terrifying for the future of our country and all quite probable with this president.  Things like using protests to send in troops in democratic-leaning cities to close the streets so voters can't get to the polls.  Or worse things like inviting "citizen militias" to police polling stations and keep out "suspicious looking troublemakers".  And on and on.

I had planned on voting by mail, but now I am thinking about voting in person, but early to avoid some of the crowded lines.

Hi Don,

Re:  ' That means more ballots to count, which will delay the final tally.'

In Oregon* our mail-in ballots are counted when they are received.

I will get my ballot about 15 Oct.  I expect to mail it in about 18-19 Oct.  I expect it to be counted about 22-23 Oct.

YMMV

Jerry Baumchen

* The state with best voting system in this country.