Westerly

Shitty DZs adding to the Covid numbers?

It has come to my attention that there are several (most really) DZs out there that dont really enforce any reasonable safety protocols and even after having people at the DZ test positive, they brush it off as 'Covid is all bullshit and fuck that if they think I am closing anything down again" attitude. If there is one thing this pandemic has done is outcast the many, many skydivers out there who are actually quite unintelligent. I mean, I'm talking like they fit into the 'the 5G talks to me at night sometimes' group. It's quite sad really that a group of people normally pretty safety-focused is so unsafe on a matter far more dangerous than skydiving.

22 minutes ago, Westerly said:

Shitty DZ"s adding to the covid numbers?

While I agree that some DZ's out there are completely ignoring any pandemic precautions out of a desire to follow a certain set of politics, keep in mind that even if every single skydiver in the US went to those DZ's and every single one got infected that would only increase infection numbers by about 1%.  There just aren't that many of us.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

While I agree that some DZ's out there are completely ignoring any pandemic precautions out of a desire to follow a certain set of politics, keep in mind that even if every single skydiver in the US went to those DZ's and every single one got infected that would only increase infection numbers by about 1%.  There just aren't that many of us.

Yes, that is true but this is not a Covid forum, it's a skydiving forum so it still seems appropriate/ relevant. 

7 hours ago, billvon said:

Sure, a 1% increase is only what? A thousand or 1200 more deaths. What the hell. Skydiving is important, we can’t afford to risk losing our opportunities for fun just to save the families of a few thousand tandem revenue generating customers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Sure, a 1% increase is only what? A thousand or 1200 more deaths. What the hell. Skydiving is important, we can’t afford to risk losing our opportunities for fun just to save the families of a few thousand tandem revenue generating customers.

Where is the personal responsibility in this?  

If the people there don't want to conform, and you don't agree, don't go.

If they are breaking the law - do something about it.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Where is the personal responsibility in this?  

If the people there don't want to conform, and you don't agree, don't go.

If they are breaking the law - do something about it.

As long as Ro stays above 1.0, every irresponsible person has a non-zero likelihood of infecting more than one responsible one.

9 hours ago, billvon said:

i think you're missing the bigger picture here, and that is tandem passengers.  how many of them are there who will get infected and take it around others?  i have no idea how to count them, but i am sure someone does.  not that i'm concerned, i have been to my dz every weekend for about two months and all seem to be taking every precaution they can while doing tandems in a 182.  we don't have too many tandems coming in and it's mostly the same 10 folks i see every weekend.  i hope we don't get it, but if we do, there was another box on the waiver we all signed this year...

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I am all for shutting down skydiving in areas that are seeing SARS-CoV-2 spikes.  But again, compared to (say) closing restaurants or bars, the effect is small overall.  We should be concentrating our efforts in areas that produce the most results.

Skydive DeLand and The Perfect Spot Restaurant and Bar will be closed for the remainder of today, Monday, 6/29, and through tomorrow, Tuesday, 6/30. One of our fun jumpers who was here 6/17-21 has tested positive for Covid-19. In our down time we will be sanitizing all surfaces and shared items.

1 hour ago, normiss said:

Skydive DeLand and The Perfect Spot Restaurant and Bar will be closed for the remainder of today, Monday, 6/29, and through tomorrow, Tuesday, 6/30. One of our fun jumpers who was here 6/17-21 has tested positive for Covid-19. In our down time we will be sanitizing all surfaces and shared items.

Are you doing any contact tracing, and/or working with anyone else to do it?