VTmotoMike08

Seems like so many jumpers these days have a couple hundred jumps and have done nothing but zoo dives and campfires since they got their license.

When I was rated as a coach I was lucky if my student even saw me in free fall. Now that I can fly a bit, I can't "coach" because I have let my rating lapse. (And unless it is free, it will stay lapsed.)

Ridiculous
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

A) If your student couldn't see you in freefall because you were a shitty flier, you shouldn't have gotten a coach rating. That's on your Course Director.
B) Even after getting the rating you shouldn't have gotten, you should have sat yourself down and sought additional training or experience until you were competent. That's on you.
C) Unless USPA changed the rules, a D license holder can jump with self-supervised students with S&TA approval. If you are so passionate about helping students you should seek that approval. Again, that's on you.

- Dan G

Then we jump and I flail all over and look like a doofus. Then they avoid me on the ground. Actually thats not true, usually everyone's really cool, but I still feel like they wasted a jump--even though I probably learned something.

They know what they are getting themselves into when they invite you on the jump. A lot of experienced jumpers enjoy helping the new jumpers learn and have fun. I love to jump with new skydivers. When I first started I got a lot of free coaching and help from experienced jumpers and organizers and now that I have some knowledge, I like to pay that forward. It is a great feeling to see a new jumper's reaction when you land from a great four-way.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

A licensed skydiver can go 'coach' an A-Licensed skydiver without a coach rating from USPA.

There are plenty of newly minted A-licensed skydivers that could use experienced guidance, and you don't have to be a coach to do that. Just willing to spend time and money out of your own pocket to do it.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

heavision

I have an idea: color coded arm-bands. New jumpers could wear them and it would be a signal; "I'm new and I really wanna learn." It could also mean; "jump master, please tell me where to sit and when I should exit. And everyone, feel free to double check my rig." I would wear one proudly.

Motorcycle trackday events do that with newb riders. They have them wear a bright yellow shirt over their leathers so the experienced guys know to be wary passing them. I just got my A-license and plan on writing on my helmet. "Warning: Newb Inside" "Old guy but New Jumper" etc.

Skydive Twin Cities has a great "Load Organizer" program. They have several LO's to help round up and organize jumpers from various disciplines. The LO's main goal is to see to it that everyone has fun. They use social media to encourage jumpers to show up. The LO's all work hard to teach important skills to the Newbs. You see, the sooner we teach them to fly, the sooner they can help us build successful bigger ways.

In case you don't know this, you can have fun and learn to be a better skydiver at the same time. :P

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Hi Billeisele,

Very nice initiative. Congrats. I wish I could convince our DZ's to follow this kind of approach. The dropout rate is overwhelming here in Portugal and I'm convinced is because new jumpers are totally left alone after AFF.
One question: what do you you mean by "DZ Predators" ? *** avoiding DZ predators and not being a predator

azeitona

Hi Billeisele,

Very nice initiative. Congrats. I wish I could convince our DZ's to follow this kind of approach. The dropout rate is overwhelming here in Portugal and I'm convinced is because new jumpers are totally left alone after AFF.
One question: what do you you mean by "DZ Predators" ? *** avoiding DZ predators and not being a predator

guys that prey on the new jumper girls, the girls think the guys are all nice, sweet and skygodish, etc., they don't know they are being used, talked about and will be thrown out as soon as the next young thing comes along
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I am fortunate that my home DZ, Elsinore had awesome people,awesome LO's, and an awesome program when I got off AFF. The awesome program is called EXCEL camp which lawndart spoke of. It is a belly camp much like the one mentioned in a previous post on this thread. The camp is taught by an experienced RW/4 way person and we teach the basics building blocks for FS. We put the groups together based on size(fall rate),jump
numbers/skill and keep it simple. We teach how to plan a jump,how to dirt dive it,loading procedures,how to debrief, and then we usually try to get some of our locals to fly video and I also wear my camera to at least video the exits and have inside video for the jump im on. Most of the students have never been debriefed or seen video of themselves. It is very powerful. I went from being a student to being a coach in the camp and enjoy seeing the students accomplish what we talk about on the ground, on the jump. Our slots as the coaches are covered by the DZ. it has been going for 15 years and is very successful. One of my students has gone on to medal in his first year as a competitor on a 4 way team and is now an EXCEL coach.

As far as LO's, I have been an LO for 12 years and will jump with any one as long as you are safe. Most of the experienced jumpers at my home DZ, and at some of the other DZ's I frequent near by, know who the noobs are and have no problem helping the noobs in the loading area in a positive way. As an LO if I dont think some one has the skill level to be on the jump with us, I will take one or two people and engineer a jump more on their skill level, with fun an safety in mind. For me and most of the LO's we dont feel like anyone "ruins" our jump, short of injuring me in some way, we just see it as a chance to learn, and our jumps as LO's, the DZ covers our jumps.

I dont see a lot of the stuff the OP talked about, so I count my blessing I jump at a DZ that that is not like that. They do exist.