pterodactyl1986

Body weight, frame size and skydiving

I had no intentions of starting skydiving as a sport or a hobby. I went on a tandem because I always wanted to try it, so after dropping 60lbs ( and still going) I went and jumped and love it now!

I have a larger frame at 6 ft, even if I get down to 6% Body fat, I would still weigh in at at 195 with my current lean mass (which will only go up from here)

Currently weighing in at 240 30% bf and plan to be 215 @ 15%

I saw the weight and tracking thread and wondered in general, how does weight affect jumping?

My instructor said in general everything I do is already exaggerated because of my size and to try and slow all of my movements down.
Assuming I can learn all the proper skills in the learning process, does being large affect the way you freefall? If so in what ways?

Yes. You will fall faster.

At 240, you will likely fall faster than just about everyone else. It will be difficult to do RW with "normal" jumpers (I use that term loosely) because of fall rate issues.

There are a few guys that big that jump. They call themselves the "Anvil Brothers."

If you can get down to 195, you will be fine.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Relax.
I was 6' tall and weighted 180 pounds when I started jumping. I weighted 190 pounds for most of my jumps .... got as fat as 220 ..... but now weigh 215 pounds. At my peak, I jumped a 135 square foot main parachute, but then up-sized to a 150 and just bought a 169 because I am old and fat and don't need to fall that fast anymore. My smallest reserve is 172 square feet.

Student parachutes range between 230 and 300 square feet. You should start on one of the larger student parachutes (280 - 300).
Since most parachutes are only certified for 254 pounds, you do want to get your weight down to the 220 pound range. Remember that maximum suspended weight includes your harness, reserve parachute, shoes, helmet, etc. A typical set of skydiving gear weighs 25 to 35 pounds. The lightest equipment is only for highly-experienced skydivers who weigh less than you. A few newer designs are certified for more than 254 pounds, but finding them will take you an extra few days of shopping.
A big, loose-fitting suit should be enough for you to match fall rate with all but the lightest jumpers.

As for weight-loss methods .... may I suggest long walks (more than 30 minutes) on steep hills. Steep hills burn plenty of calories, but don't pound your knees to mush. Hiking is still a weight-bearing exercise that encourages greater leg bone density in the long run (apologies for the pun).

I'm 6 ft and about 215. I sound like you....even when I was SUPER in shape in my college years, I was 195.

As far as jumping, you'll definitely fall pretty fast at 240. There will be a few that will be able to keep up with you if you're wearing a normal fitting suit.....the more experienced the jumper, the more likely they are to be able to stay with someone falling faster. You can get a really baggy suit as you learn and it will help at lot.

In general, fall rates are pretty slow these days with a lot of people not arching so while some of the responsibility is on us to learn to slow ourselves down, I think there is definitely a little blame in the general skydiving population for not being great archers and having an overall slower fall rate.

As you get more experienced and jump with others that are more experienced, I've noticed it doesn't become as much of a problem at my weight though. I would for sure focus on at least losing another 20-30 pounds. It will help you a lot
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

riggerrob

As for weight-loss methods .... may I suggest long walks (more than 30 minutes) on steep hills. Steep hills burn plenty of calories, but don't pound your knees to mush. Hiking is still a weight-bearing exercise that encourages greater leg bone density in the long run (apologies for the pun).

Thanks everyone for the opinions!

As far as weight loss method, I have done a considerable amount of research and believe I have found the fastest method that does not involve starving, pills or steroids while retaining lean mass.
It's called Ketogains, I highly recommend it, they have a facebook group and a website.
I was down for a few weeks on antibiotics, but am starting the gym back up this week. I do 4 days lifting and 2 or 3 days HIIT.
As much as I love nature and trails, it is not a super effective workout. Plus steady state cardio takes away from lean muscle gain in the long run. But I will be adding muay thai back in shortly one day a week, and that will help a lot.

I will be at 220 before the end of October, and past that I really can't put a time frame on getting to 205 because it gets much more difficult once you reach a lower BF%.

I was planning on doing a jump a week until I complete my license, but I think it would be better if I saved my money and did my license in a week or two. This will also give me time to bring the weight down to a moderate level as well

There is one tandem instructor at my DZ that is on the muscular side 205-215 if I had to guess. But other than him everyone is fairly thin, which I'm noticing is a trend.

So theoretical question:
If two jumpers are equal skill level but different weights, the heavy jumper could fly and track faster but would have a more difficult time varying fall rate?

"....... I was planning on doing a jump a week until I complete my license, but I think it would be better if I saved my money and did my license in a week or two. This will also give me time to bring the weight down to a moderate level as well"
----------------------------------------------

Best plan is scheduling a week's instruction at a busy skydiving resort .... with clear weather ......

-------------------------------------------------------------------

" ........ So theoretical question:
If two jumpers are equal skill level but different weights, the heavy jumper could fly and track faster but would have a more difficult time varying fall rate?"

Variables also include height, arm length, leg length and suit.
With the proper suit, a hefty skydiver should have a similar fall rate range to a slender skydiver.

Heavier/larger jumpers can wear suits that will assist in slowing down their fall rate. Small/light jumpers also can wear suits that help them fall fast and wear weight belts.

Congrats on your weight loss so far and definitely keep working. The more weight you are able to lose the easier it will be for you to jump with others once you get licensed.

After getting licensed, get some coaching and really focus on body position for flying. If you have a wind tunnel accessible, that is a great place to do that type of training.

I'm a 5'6 female with an average/athletic build and my jump buddy after getting licensed was another newbie, 240lb guy. I could stay with him no problem. The more weight you have the tougher it can be but it sounds like you're taking awesome steps to get where you want. Once you start jumping, I find I always lose weight at the dz. jumping always seems to win out over eating ;)

So theoretical question:
If two jumpers are equal skill level but different weights, the heavy jumper could fly and track faster but would have a more difficult time varying fall rate?

Sort of.

The heavy jumper would fall faster. But likely not track as well. Part of tracking horizontal motion, but part of it is falling slower. I'm a "feather butt" and can out track a lot of people. I can get good horizontal speed, but I can mainly get fairly slow fall rate, which gives me a good "angle".

And there's no reason that a heavier jumper can't or won't have a wide range of fall rates. It's just that the "high" end will be higher and the "low" end won't be as low as a lighter jumper.

As noted, your suit can make a big difference. I know guys that I can't keep down with unless they are wearing a fairly 'draggy' suit. Or I'm wearing weights.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

pterodactyl1986

Thanks everyone for the opinions!

As far as weight loss method, I have done a considerable amount of research and believe I have found the fastest method that does not involve starving, pills or steroids while retaining lean mass.
It's called Ketogains, I highly recommend it, they have a facebook group and a website.
I was down for a few weeks on antibiotics, but am starting the gym back up this week. I do 4 days lifting and 2 or 3 days HIIT.
As much as I love nature and trails, it is not a super effective workout. Plus steady state cardio takes away from lean muscle gain in the long run. But I will be adding muay thai back in shortly one day a week, and that will help a lot.

I will be at 220 before the end of October, and past that I really can't put a time frame on getting to 205 because it gets much more difficult once you reach a lower BF%.

I was planning on doing a jump a week until I complete my license, but I think it would be better if I saved my money and did my license in a week or two. This will also give me time to bring the weight down to a moderate level as well

There is one tandem instructor at my DZ that is on the muscular side 205-215 if I had to guess. But other than him everyone is fairly thin, which I'm noticing is a trend.

So theoretical question:

Of course the quick and simple weight loss program involves a chainsaw.

If you have a high pain threshold and don't mind being a bit shorter than you are now......:D
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

pterodactyl1986

Of course the quick and simple weight loss program involves a chainsaw.

If you have a high pain threshold and don't mind being a bit shorter than you are now......:D

My pain threshold is abnormally high, but I like my limbs :P

Pffftttt.....prosthetics these days are almost better than the real thing.

Plus you can invent a great campfire story involving battles with an alligator/croc/great white shark.

The chicks will be all over you.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....